• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sol

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Was just thinking about how important it was to our ancestors - at least in my latitudes - to understand the movement of the Sun.

Even if they didn't know what it was or why it moved they understood that its movement in the sky associated with important changes in their lives. No doubt they were superstitious to a fault and obviously ignorant as to what all those lights in the sky were. But they otherwise possessed intimate knowledge of their environment that was vital to their survival. On that score they were much more advanced that we modern people could ever dream to be.

So upon the beginning of its return and the changes it heralds in my life and all our lives I thought to mention our ancestors and give them a nod. We're here because they survived. For me it's time to start thinking about the things they thought about, time to prune the fruit trees, time to think about the coming of long hot days, green grass, the sound of insects, ripening fruit and a cold beer, among other things.

We stand on the shoulders of giants... as it has been said. Language has given us the ability to pass knowledge on into the distant future.
We can be proud to take for granted what others have accomplished for our benefit, as long as we can peer back and appreciate their sacrifices and hard work that allows us to glance at a watch, or a GPS screen, an Accu-Weather report with Doppler Radar... and simply take for granted we have easy access to information that was at one time in our distant history, a struggle to acquire and comprehend.

Back
Top Bottom