• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Something Is Wrong With the Muon

I'm going to wait for confirmation before tossing the Standard Model.

The genesis of QM in part was the fact that Newtonian mechanics did not work for BB radiation.

In the late 19th century there were some who beloved science was at an end having found everything.

Warp engines here we come....

Remember the Italian experiment to measure the speed of a particle? Initially it was off. later found due to a calibration error.

The standard model is good up to a point, but ultimately it indisputably fails. We know we have to give it up eventually. The question is where exactly does it fall apart. And maybe they’ve found it here. If so, great. But it does need much further confirmation.

The standard model is good up to a point, but ultimately it indisputably fails. We know we have to give it up eventually. The question is where exactly does it fall apart. And maybe they’ve found it here. If so, great. But it does need much further confirmation.

Even when it fails, it will still work just fine for most purposes, just as Newton's Universal Gravitation does for most purposes, despite being a tiny bit less accurate than Einstein's model.

This isn't going to result in my being able to walk through walls, or get me a flying car or a robot butler any faster.

It's cool to see the boundaries of our understanding of the universe pushed back still further. But at this point, they're already a long way off as far as pretty much everyone who doesn't work at CERN, or with the astrophysics of distant and/or highly energetic objects, is concerned.

... snip ...

Remember the Italian experiment to measure the speed of a particle? Initially it was off. later found due to a calibration error.
If I remember correctly, that 'great discovery' was finding FTL particles. Turned out to be a loose connector on some test equipment. This reinforces the common sense caution to mistrust great scientific discoveries that are revealed in news papers rather than in science journals.

I could be mistaken, but at most the experiment suggests something else could exist.

... snip ...

If I remember correctly, that 'great discovery' was finding FTL particles. Turned out to be a loose connector on some test equipment. This reinforces the common sense caution to mistrust great scientific discoveries that are revealed in news papers rather than in science journals.

Things like the OP get plastered all over main stream media. A form of sensationalism by people in the media who have no
clue.

Serendipity is always part of it, look for one thing and find another.

Something Is Wrong With the Muon

Not at all... the muon is what it is. Although there could be something wrong with the test set up, something wrong with the data, something wrong with the interpretation of the data, or something wrong with our understanding of the Muon.

"There is no dark side of the Muon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."

Ya shake to the right, you shake to the left, you wiggle all about doin the muon boogie....

This is the dark side of the muon.

Thank you very much... I'm here all week...

Back
Top Bottom