• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Something positive about Windows 10

Tharmas

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Pantheist
I have Windows 7 as an OS and am dreading that inevitable time when I have to switch to Windows 10. My wife has Windows 10 on her laptop and, as she is as computer illiterate as anyone can be who uses her computer 2-3 hours per day, I frequently have to help her out. There are things I particularly hate about Windows 10, such as the way it performs actions without asking (attach anything with images on it and it immediately downloads the images and throws them into your pictures folder). I guess that’s good for users like my wife who otherwise would have to learn file management etc., but I can’t stand the lack of control.

However, last night I found a feature that I think is rather cool, and I wish were available for Windows 7. In helping my wife resize some pictures, I discovered that if you right-click the image you have the option to resize, and it gives you a choice of three sizes to choose from. This won’t always be the perfect solution, but it solved our problem immediately.

Any other features of Windows 10 that I can look forward to?

And please try to avoid telling me to get Unix of Linux.

1. No need to buy antivirus; the built-in protection is good enough for most people.
2. Comes with a better built-in web browser than Win 7.

If nothing else it's better than Windows 8, and is a throwback to 7.

Honestly, I don't get the hatred over Windows. Outside of a bit of a hiccup when they were remotely upgrading people's OS from 8 to 10, there's rarely been a time when it didn't do everything I need it to quickly enough.

Sure, Linux might be better in some respects, but I don't understand the lengths people go to to defend their OS of choice. One way or another you're using an impressive piece of software on an impressive piece of hardware.

The average user neither knows nor cares about that distinction.

What for? it's almost 2019. space for pictures is no longer a problem.
Bandwidth.

That and the various places that accept limited file sizes for profile pictures and attachments. You run into that a lot with wedding photos that are 16 mb each.

Well, they put those limits in place due to limited bandwidth. Users don't tolerate slow websites and apps, and that means image assets have to be reduced to the bare minimum. Although GD, imagemagick etc. can resize files after they've been uploaded, many web services don't provide that feature for various reasons.

That and the various places that accept limited file sizes for profile pictures and attachments. You run into that a lot with wedding photos that are 16 mb each.

Well, they put those limits in place due to limited bandwidth. Users don't tolerate slow websites and apps, and that means image assets have to be reduced to the bare minimum. Although GD, imagemagick etc. can resize files after they've been uploaded, many web services don't provide that feature for various reasons.

Exactly that. She was uploading pictures to a United States Post Office site to make a claim for a damaged shipment. The site required pictures of no more than 2 MB. I started by cropping them, which I could do with the limited graphics tools she had, but came to some close-ups that really couldn't be cropped without losing too much information.

1. No need to buy antivirus; the built-in protection is good enough for most people.
2. Comes with a better built-in web browser than Win 7.

The antivirus looks like a big plus.

The average user neither knows nor cares about that distinction.

What for? it's almost 2019. space for pictures is no longer a problem.
Bandwidth.

They should automatically reduce size themselves, like Skype does, which is very annoying,

I can't help it but notice that imagemagick ironically comes from unix/linux.
Also I know linux is not to be mentioned here but I always chuckle at problem windows users often have which simply don't exist in linux at all (viruses, simple tasks like resizing images)

I can't help it but notice that imagemagick ironically comes from unix/linux.
Also I know linux is not to be mentioned here but I always chuckle at problem windows users often have which simply don't exist in linux at all (viruses, simple tasks like resizing images)

I work (albeit from home) for a company that grosses several billion dollars a year and has I don’t know how many thousand employees world-wide. They must invest millions annually, if not tens of millions, in MS software products, including Windows 7 Professional, Office 365 and Skype for Business on all computers, plus Project and various other software packages for select employees. When they switch to Linux I’ll happily go along.

Oh here's one:

- Win 10 never re-organizes icons on your desktop, Win 7 does

I'm pretty particular about grouping like icons together, so this is a big pain point of Win 7

Honestly, I don't get the hatred over Windows. Outside of a bit of a hiccup when they were remotely upgrading people's OS from 8 to 10, there's rarely been a time when it didn't do everything I need it to quickly enough.

Sure, Linux might be better in some respects, but I don't understand the lengths people go to to defend their OS of choice. One way or another you're using an impressive piece of software on an impressive piece of hardware.

Certainly, there is a religious character to these sorts of ardent supporters. But I believe Richard Stallman, although certainly a bit crazy, will turn out to be fundamentally correct. Free software is about freedom as in liberty, not freedom as in free beer. A lot of what he was saying in the 90's and 2000's is turning out to be mainstream opinion now that people are starting to grapple with the fact that they've given all their information to giant corporations to do whatever they want with it.

Certainly, there is a religious character to these sorts of ardent supporters. But I believe Richard Stallman, although certainly a bit crazy, will turn out to be fundamentally correct. Free software is about freedom as in liberty, not freedom as in free beer. A lot of what he was saying in the 90's and 2000's is turning out to be mainstream opinion now that people are starting to grapple with the fact that they've given all their information to giant corporations to do whatever they want with it.

Fair, although sometimes I think that kind of thing can be taken too seriously. I've known people that have gone to great lengths to protect their privacy, but for what? What material difference does it really make, as long as it doesn't turn into data authoritarianism as we're seeing in China.

If it does get to that point that's a problem of politics, not technology.

Back
Top Bottom