• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Speaker Who!

Truth is not dependant on your agreement with it. One calling it a blog and another calling it an opinion piece are only attempts at denial, and reveals more about the commenters than anything else.

When it includes the lines, "The newly released documents are a clarion call to us all to demand that our government stop the killing. It is illegal, it is immoral, and it makes us more vulnerable to terrorism" it's an opinion piece. Regardless of what you call it, it's not comparable to the forthcoming Mueller report.

I can cite multiple articles that assert Trump obstructed justice. You're contradicting yourself by saying there is evidence against Obama but not trump.

You are right that Trump has ordered the military to be less concerned about non-combatant casulties and has allowed the military to expand its ongoing drone campaigns.

You mean all those "good independent investigative reporting sites" you read left you ignorant? Shocking.

See post 107. You claimed that Obama deliberately targeted civilians. This Daddy doesn't spoon feed either!

The point of that piece was to demonstrate that Obama's policies were too loose and too indiscriminate. That Trump loosened them even further does not make Obama innocent. He's sill a war criminal, and so is Trump. I can't say there is any degree of "bad" in this context. They both are assholes. The difference is that Trump brags about it while Obama denies it.

Poster: I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but accidently killing civilians when targeting combatants in a war is not a war crime. Obama's use of drones and special forces while fighting the Jihadists resulted in the fewest civilian deaths of any war that American has ever been involved in since the advent of artillery. We accidently killed far more civilians in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and etc. Far more. It's fine with me if you want to call it inhumane. It's fine with me if you want to make the argument that any attack on a combatant is evil unless there is zero chance of civilian death. But why do you continuously claim that Obama is the war criminal while giving everyone else a pass? By your standard, all the leaders of the US, Nato Countries, Russia, and etc. are all war criminals. And yet you focus on Obama? Why?

See post 107. You claimed that Obama deliberately targeted civilians. This Daddy doesn't spoon feed either!

The point of that piece was to demonstrate that Obama's policies were too loose and too indiscriminate. That Trump loosened them even further does not make Obama innocent. He's sill a war criminal, and so is Trump. I can't say there is any degree of "bad" in this context. They both are assholes. The difference is that Trump brags about it while Obama denies it.

Poster: I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but accidently killing civilians when targeting combatants in a war is not a war crime. Obama's use of drones and special forces while fighting the Jihadists resulted in the fewest civilian deaths of any war that American has ever been involved in since the advent of artillery. We accidently killed far more civilians in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and etc. Far more. It's fine with me if you want to call it inhumane. It's fine with me if you want to make the argument that any attack on a combatant is evil unless there is zero chance of civilian death. But why do you continuously claim that Obama is the war criminal while giving everyone else a pass? By your standard, all the leaders of the US, Nato Countries, Russia, and etc. are all war criminals. And yet you focus on Obama? Why?

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/LNTw3x40I0o[/YOUTUBE]

Poster: I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but...
Thank you for that, but seriously, there's no need to apologize. Some humps are difficult to get over. I completely understand the difficulty coming to terms with the idea that someone we've idolized and been convinced by authoritative forces is perfect, isn't and never has been who we thought they were.

I have confidence you'll get there, though. You're smart enough.

Poster: I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but...
Thank you for that, but seriously, there's no need to apologize. Some humps are difficult to get over. I completely understand the difficulty coming to terms with the idea that someone we've idolized and been convinced by authoritative forces is perfect, isn't and never has been who we thought they were.

I have confidence you'll get there, though. You're smart enough.

It probably is difficult for a white person like yourself to understand how inspirational it was to have a non-white person like Obama climb to the top the US government. You don't know what it's like to live in a community in which every single person of power (teacher, principal, local police, mayor, governor, local manufacturer owner, and etc.) was of a race that is different than yours. So sure, if you want to shout down from your ivory tower that there were some people like myself who maybe elevate Obama higher than he should. But I have identified many issues that I have disagreed with Obama over. I thought that Obama was more internationally aggressive than I liked. I thought that he greatly mismanaged Russia when they could have been cultivated as an ally. He mostly ignored the Chinese stealing of our IP. He didn't do much about rising costs of college. I could go on.

As an aside, why do you not condemn the Trump supporters? The Trump supports are far far more dogmatic that I and many Obama supporters were. They never question anything that he says or does! But that's a maybe different thread.

But where you cross the line is that you hold the first non-white president in our history to a much higher standard than any other leader. Why? Does it give you satisfaction to mock people who found Obama to be inspirational? You continuously state that Obama is a war criminal who should be in jail - even after it has been pointed out that you are incorrect. Why?

My final point is that you continuously raise the issue that there is this deep dark conspiracy by the "authorities" or the press to prop up Obama, Clinton, and Pelosi - and that is garbage. It isn't true.

I might suggest judging Obama as a person as opposed to a black person. That's what I do. Race is an illusion. Skin pigmentation means nothing to me.

I'm not going to bother watching your videos. Sorry.

So if you don't want to read what I post, then don't, I couldn't care less.

I'll post this for people who aren't interesting in race-baiting.

Al Jazeera: There continues to be opposition to Obama's visit to deliver the Mandela lecture on Tuesday. What are your thoughts on this criticism?

Cornel West:
On the one hand, Nelson Mandela was one of the great revolutionary figures but he himself ended up making neo-liberal deals with corporate elite both inside his country and outside.

We don't want to lose sight of his tremendous vision and courage as a revolutionary leader as part of a social movement, and then the degree to which he himself ended up compromising by making neo-liberal deals with corporate elites.

Now, Barack Obama - you have a neo-liberal black president of the most powerful empire in the world; he was never a revolutionary figure in the way Nelson Mandela was.

He has always been a neo-liberal politician. He was a black face of the American empire and he [has], in my view, commit[ted] war crimes with his drones in Pakistan and Yemen and Somalia and Libya.

So, I think the people have the right to protest because you don't want Obama to come in and act as if somehow he is connected to the revolutionary Mandela. Now, on the other hand, it is also true that you want a variety of voices to be heard in these lectures.

So, I don't think that everyone who comes to give a lecture - to give the Nelson Mandela lecture - needs to be a revolutionary. I believe in a variety of different perspectives.

I believe he has the right to speak, but people have to be honest about his policies, his crimes, and his vision of the world as president, as head of the empire.

I respect his right to speak, but he is held to account. People need to know the truth about what he did in the same way people need to know the truth about the arc of Mandela's own life. So, I really do stand very much in solidarity with those who are protesting.

Now, the last thing you want to do is act as if Barack Obama is some kind of grand progressive figure. No, he was a neo-liberal counterfeit.

And we have seen the backlash now with the neo-fascists in the White House with Donald Trump. If you don't speak to the poor and the working people in a progressive way, then the right wing is going to seize that vacuum.

And that's exactly what Trump did. I am glad to see my brothers and sisters of all colours in South Africa are raising their voices when the former black face of the American empire comes to speak at [the] Nelson Mandela lecture.

[...]

But Obama didn't even do as well as Bush. So, in that sense, it's a profound disappointment and an acknowledgement again, that no matter what colour a president is or a leader is, you have to measure a leader by their courage, their vision, and how they support working people. And there I think Obama was a failure. There is no doubt about it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/07/cornell-west-obama-revolutionary-mandela-180715195817422.html

So it appears that Pelosi is going to be the next Speaker of the House.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does that fact make your head explode? Is it 10, or 10?

So it appears that Pelosi is going to be the next Speaker of the House.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does that fact make your head explode? Is it 10, or 10?
Hahaha!

I think Ocasio-Cortez said it best when she stated that as long as NP is the most progressive choice as speaker she will support her. Of course, NP is the only candidate for speaker, so that makes the choice all that easier.

I can't control what happens in Washington, all I can do is express my concerns to others through dialogue. Besides vote and show support, financial or otherwise, for the institutions and affiliates that represent what I hold dear, that's what I do.

I won't lose sleep over any of this.

I might suggest judging Obama as a person as opposed to a black person. That's what I do. Race is an illusion. Skin pigmentation means nothing to me.

That's crazy! You are the one solely judging Obama as a black president. As has been repeatedly demonstrated to you, if you judged Obama by civilian deaths during war - Obama was the most humane president in our recent history. Trump is far far worse. If you judge Obama with our other recent presidents, he will go down as one of our great Presidents.

That's crazy! You are the one solely judging Obama as a black president. As has been repeatedly demonstrated to you, if you judged Obama by civilian deaths during war - Obama was the most humane president in our recent history. Trump is far far worse. If you judge Obama with our other recent presidents, he will go down as one of our great Presidents.

I've already admitted that I was mistaken about Trump's drone use expansion. At least, to my credit, I went and looked at it.

The only one bringing race into this is you. I'm not going to allow you to make this conversation about me and false accusations of racism. And I don't have to justify myself to you. I know who and what I am and I am very comfortable with that as a resident of my community, a father and a grandfather. Move on from the race-baiting.

I've already admitted that I was mistaken about Trump's drone use expansion. At least, to my credit, I went and looked at it.

The only one bringing race into this is you. I'm not going to allow you to make this conversation about me and false accusations of racism. And I don't have to justify myself to you. I know who and what I am and I am very comfortable with that as a resident of my community, a father and a grandfather. Move on from the race-baiting.

Well, I missed the post where you admitted you were mistaken about Trump. If you want to discuss Obama without making it about his race - don't put him on the highest pedestal. If you feel that any leader who accidently kills a civilian should be thrown in jail then include all leaders. Don't only accuse Obama.

Well, I missed the post where you admitted you were mistaken about Trump. If you want to discuss Obama without making it about his race - don't put him on the highest pedestal. If you feel that any leader who accidently kills a civilian should be thrown in jail then include all leaders. Don't only accuse Obama.

Are you at all aware how much you appear to exaggerate and how far you extrapolate?

Pelosi is asking for public support for House Dems 1st bill. H.R. 1 would create automatic voter registration, require paper ballots, reduce partisan gerrymandering, limit big money in politics, require political groups to disclose donors, bar Congress members from serving on corporate boards & require presidents to disclose their tax returns.

[YOUTUBE]SMy08ygVdLA[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not going to bother watching your videos. Sorry.

So if you don't want to read what I post, then don't, I couldn't care less.

I'll post this for people who aren't interesting in race-baiting...

Don't get sore. I'm not happy with anyone who calls you a racist. All of us have been raised in an intensely racist culture. So it really sounds lame and a bit cliche to claim that "skin pigmentation means nothing to me". It means a great deal in the context of American politics. So I have no trouble with your claim that you see him as a "person" and that we should all see him that way. However, we all need to see him also as a black person. He is only half African American, but that just means that he is a light-skinned black person when it comes to how American society perceives him.

That 12 second Colbert clip was intended to mock the discomfort that many Americans, particularly white Americans, feel about the reality of race and racism. It was a mockery of conservative American attitudes, which assume a pretense that discrimination against racial minorities is somehow merely based on politics and not racial stereotyping. Republicans who draw up gerrymandered districts, particularly in states like Pennsylvania, are intensely aware of neighborhoods that have high concentrations of minority voters. Those are the areas that inform their choices on where to draw district boundaries. But, of course, they aren't seeing "race", just Democrats.

Pelosi is asking for public support for House Dems 1st bill. H.R. 1 would create automatic voter registration, require paper ballots, reduce partisan gerrymandering, limit big money in politics, require political groups to disclose donors, bar Congress members from serving on corporate boards & require presidents to disclose their tax returns.

Wow, I support this bill 1,000%!

Back
Top Bottom