• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Speaker Who!

I think the new speaker should be an unabashed personality similar to Trump. One of the new young ones. The old ones need to step aside. This is a free-for-all, and considering Trump is president, it's a good time to allow someone new to come of age in the spotlight. But they must be brash and quick on their feet. Someone in the mold of Senator Klobuchar, but a bit more reckless.

Last edited:
latest

Seriously, I think they should go with somebody reasonably young, 40s or early 50s. How about Tim Ryan? He ran against Pelosi two years ago two, is 45 years old (33 years younger than Pelosi) and hails from the Midwest, a region where Dems have struggled recently, enabling the Trump victory.

I think it would be a mistake to try to out-Trump Trump.

Can't be boring. The public doesn't like boring in their politics. If the last two years can teach us something/anything easy, it's that.

Anyone
1. Not too old
2. Smart(quick)
3. Sane
4. Hailing from a fairly safe district representatively.
5. Hailing from a district that won't/can't be redistricted/gerrymandered away from them.

Really. They could be brand new and completely unknown on the national stage, but if they meet these criteria, I would be happy.

latest

Seriously, I think they should go with somebody reasonably young, 40s or early 50s. How about Tim Ryan? He ran against Pelosi two years ago two, is 45 years old (33 years younger than Pelosi) and hails from the Midwest, a region where Dems have struggled recently, enabling the Trump victory.

I think it would be a mistake to try to out-Trump Trump.
Tim Ryan vs Paul Ryan?

:D

I do think that we need new blood. The dems need charismatic younger leaders who can street fight and bulls shit as well as Trump. No more policy wonks...

I do think that we need new blood. The dems need charismatic younger leaders who can street fight and bulls shit as well as Trump. No more policy wonks...

She is a pragmatist who knows how washington works. Trump is incompetent at getting what he wants passed. What were the Republician major legislative achievements of the last two years? A tax bill? That's about it. They couldn't even manage to repeal Obamacare, something which they had harped on repeatedly for 6 years. She got way more passed with the Democratic majority under Obama than Paul Ryan and they Republician majority under Trump did. It's why the Republicians loathe her so much.

Maxine Waters

She just won re-election by a 50% margin over her Republican rival.

Good point!

Better "image" for the party, too.

I suspect you are joking.

Someone younger and who is in full control of mental faculties. Someone mentioned Klobuchar, damn she is a senator. Anyway, someone younger and sane.

She is a pragmatist who knows how washington works. Trump is incompetent at getting what he wants passed. What were the Republician major legislative achievements of the last two years? A tax bill? That's about it. They couldn't even manage to repeal Obamacare, something which they had harped on repeatedly for 6 years. She got way more passed with the Democratic majority under Obama than Paul Ryan and they Republician majority under Trump did. It's why the Republicians loathe her so much.

She's also too tolerant of government overreach into the pivate lives of American citizens.

I adore Maxine, but she is 80.

Right. The viewing public needs a reasonable degree of confidence that the person in charge will be waking up every morning in the foreseeable future. I think MW is fine in the role she has cut out for herself. What the Democrats don't need is to be revisiting issues and appointments if they can avoid that.

Anyone
1. Not too old
2. Smart(quick)
3. Sane
4. Hailing from a fairly safe district representatively.
5. Hailing from a district that won't/can't be redistricted/gerrymandered away from them.

Really. They could be brand new and completely unknown on the national stage, but if they meet these criteria, I would be happy.

You left off:

6. Female (or at least non-Male)
7. Minority

I guess it's Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!

Something to remember here is that the speaker doesn't need to actually be a member. It could be a senator. It could be just some guy off the street. It could be Bernie Sanders, or HRC, or Rober Mueller. The speaker of the house isn't vulnerable to losing their seat, because they don't need to be a congressperson at all.

Who shouldn't it be? Well, it probably shouldn't be Nancy Pelosi, the person who drove the DNC right off a cliff in 2016 to hijack the primaties and keep the party from actually moving left. I wouldn't be opposed to her staying on as Whip, but we need a speaker who has some real sass, and who isn't afraid of confrontation.

Back
Top Bottom