• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

St. Ursula and the 11,000 Virgins

ideologyhunter

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
(There being no way to make this account comply with today's PC standards, I gave up at the start.)
I've been reading about St. Ursula and the 11,000 virgins, which is now my second-favorite religious tradition (I think I still must give first place to St. Bridget of Sweden, with her vision of the whereabouts of Jesus's foreskin. In this contest, the foreskin vision is a wrap.)
Ursula was a 4th century British (or Romano British) maiden who was promised to marriage to -- well, makes no difference, she died on what was the wildest bridesmaid party of all time. She took along 11,000 British virgins (any Brits reading? Does this number seem possible?), got to Rome, then decided that they should all make a pilgrimage through Europe, because, of course, 11,001 virgins tramping through the backwoods are gonna be safe, right? They got to Cologne, which was then inhabited by throngs of Huns who were reportedly only casually hygienic, and pussy hounds to a man. The Huns let out a lager-fueled roar of id, lust, and every un-PC impulse it is possible to make. Ursula and posse defended their honor by refusing to have anything to do with the atrocious Huns, thereby declaring their synchronism with most women in history, if you leave out people like Ilse Koch and Melania Trump. The Huns shot Ursula with more arrows than necessary and beheaded her 11,000 companions.
Scholars today give no credence to the entire story and point out the many embellishments and variants that have gone into it over the centuries. HOWEVER, for the true believers in Ursula et al., there is a giant church in Cologne called the Basilica of St. Ursula, and the walls of its Golden Chamber are covered with hundreds and hundreds (and a lot more) of bones that are said to be those of the martyred virgins. There, mounted on the walls and lit with golden light, are femurs, shoulder blades, humeri, and armies of ribs, arranged in eye-dazzling zigzags and swirls, some spelling out Latin words. On google you can call up images of those walls, enough images (for me) that I know I don't need to go there in person.

When the aliens come, how are the docents going to explain the life and career of Ursula?

How come I spend so much time in the woods and never come across any virgins? Not 11,000 of them, not even eleven of them.
Woods are just not what they used to be.

Virgins are great and all, but women that are good at sex and happy to have it seems better.

Why would they go through heathen lands to begin with?
They were on pilgrimage, silly.

Haven't you ever met a Christian bragging about the dangerous encounters they had on their last "mission trip" to the "third world" or the "inner city"? The perception of danger is part of the perception of enlightenment.

Why would they go through heathen lands to begin with?
They were on pilgrimage, silly.

Haven't you ever met a Christian bragging about the dangerous encounters they had on their last "mission trip" to the "third world" or the "inner city"? The perception of danger is part of the perception of enlightenment.
Lol. I am educated now.

What interests me is, when the Huns had 11,000 decapitated virgin heads, did this lead to the invention of bowling? Or maybe, soccer?

In the words of Augustine 'Lord give me chasity. but not yet'.

Maybe it began with eleven village girls who took a walk through the forest and got lost, and the story grew with each retelling.

Did you hear the joke about the 1000 virgins and the traveling salesman?

Maybe it began with eleven village girls who took a walk through the forest and got lost, and the story grew with each retelling.
What makes this nearly certain is that there are several different versions of the myth out there, and in many of them there are just eleven companions. Even medieval historians were skeptical of the numbers. A popular theory is that at some point a hapless Colognese monk saw the word undecimilia (Latin, "eleven years old") and got confused. Though that to me seems no less a Just So story than the original myth. I think it's likely that the eleven companions and their retinue are meant to be a Christological allusion (twelve disciples less one turncoat).

I read these and I just wonder what kind of people, what kind of parents, what kind of society, thinks it’s a good idea to pass on these stupid fantasy stories.

Ope.

Santa Claus.

Never mind.

What makes this nearly certain is that there are several different versions of the myth out there, and in many of them there are just eleven companions. Even medieval historians were skeptical of the numbers. A popular theory is that at some point a hapless Colognese monk saw the word undecimilia (Latin, "eleven years old") and got confused. Though that to me seems no less a Just So story than the original myth. I think it's likely that the eleven companions and their retinue are meant to be a Christological allusion (twelve disciples less one turncoat).
No way they were 11000.

I
No way they were 11000.

Yeah, no way Trump won in 2020 either, but millions of people believe the lie because like a preacher, Trump is an authority figure and RW morons love their authority figures.

I don’t know what authority figure came up with the 11,000 virgins bullshit, but its falsity should be apparent to anyone with more than two brain cells. As should Trump the Loser’s failure.

I don’t know what authority figure came up with the 11,000 virgins bullshit, but its falsity should be apparent to anyone with more than two brain cells. As should Trump the Loser’s failure.
Cardinal Raffensberger: Welcome, good sir.
Duke de Trump: Where are the virgins?
Cardinal: Sir, we have virgins, but they are wards of the pope.
Duke: Look, there's nothing wrong with saying you made a mistake. That you miscounted the virgins. That you can't tell where all of 'em got to.
Cardinal: Good sir, your facts are wrong. And these virgins have sanctuary.
Duke: Look, all I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,870 virgins, which is one more than I have.
Baron Barron (lunges forward) : Listen to my pa!!
Cardinal: That is more virgins than even the pope has. And besides, they're on their way to Cologne.
Duke: Covfefe? Did you say Covfefe?
Cardinal: Da Fuq? I said Cologne, good sir!
Duke (to Baron): Find out where Cologne is, and saddle my ass anon. The duchess must hear naught of this. (Farts.) Sirrah!
(Duke and Baron exeunt.)

I read these and I just wonder what kind of people, what kind of parents, what kind of society, thinks it’s a good idea to pass on these stupid fantasy stories.

Ope.

Santa Claus.

Never mind.
People that want to make chastity a virtue. It seems a wildly bizarre tale about how 110 virgins per boat sailed into a dreadful storm, and landed safely but somewhere else... meet the Pope, who joins them in a pilgrimage that leads them to savages who moider them for some reason. That must have taken a while! Oi, nothing like good ole fashion religious lit, a bunch of women are murdered, and what made them matter was the claim that they hadn't had sex yet and were "pure".

Of course, there could be a loss in translation thing here, and the women saw the Huns and gave them all head and there was a massive orgy that went down in Hun lore and they built a church to Ursula.

Pope: What happened to the virgins?!
Hun Leader: Looks around at all the people including the women. No virgins here no more.
Pope: Oh you savages, you killed them all!
Hun Leader: Wha... no we did... ... You know, yeah... we like totally killed them. Beheaded them! *Woman next to him giggles*
Pope: *walks away in anguish*

Back
Top Bottom