• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Star Trek

I have no clue, why?
He's my favorite Star Trek captain, precisely because he tends to reason his way through crises rather than blasting through them.
You do know it is fiction, don't you?

And there is Counselor Troy walking around always butting into people's business.

I recall reading the book about the Kobyashi Maru stories. I'm not sure if it was the same book as "Tears of the Singers"?

Might be this one?
View attachment 44333
That would be it.

God that was such a long time ago.

They all had interesting ways of cheating.

As I recall, only Kirk cheated. Scotty fought the Klingons using tactics never seen before. I recall in one round against four Klingon ships, he beamed out a container of antimatter into space in front of the Klingon ships. Then as they approached the container, Scotty beamed back just the container, leaving behind the anti-matter, which destroyed the four Klingon ships. But then the simulator popped in eight Klingon ships and Scotty gave up.

Another player--I think it was Sulu--simply refused to assist the Kobayashi Maru because it had drifted into the neutral zone. He failed the test, but he didn't lose his ship, and Kirk was giving Sulu the side-eye for the rest of the novel because of how cold Sulu could be.

I think that was what made Kirk so "special" or ballsy, depending on your view. He was the only one to win the scenario, but only by hacking the program beforehand to have the Klingons defect to Kirk.

That's what I recall, anyway. It's been decades since I read it, but I recall enjoying it quite a bit.

I recall reading the book about the Kobyashi Maru stories. I'm not sure if it was the same book as "Tears of the Singers"?

Might be this one?
View attachment 44333
That would be it.

God that was such a long time ago.

They all had interesting ways of cheating.

As I recall, only Kirk cheated. Scotty fought the Klingons using tactics never seen before. I recall in one round against four Klingon ships, he beamed out a container of antimatter into space in front of the Klingon ships. Then as they approached the container, Scotty beamed back just the container, leaving behind the anti-matter, which destroyed the four Klingon ships. But then the simulator popped in eight Klingon ships and Scotty gave up.

Another player--I think it was Sulu--simply refused to assist the Kobayashi Maru because it had drifted into the neutral zone. He failed the test, but he didn't lose his ship, and Kirk was giving Sulu the side-eye for the rest of the novel because of how cold Sulu could be.

I think that was what made Kirk so "special" or ballsy, depending on your view. He was the only one to win the scenario, but only by hacking the program beforehand to have the Klingons defect to Kirk.

That's what I recall, anyway. It's been decades since I read it, but I recall enjoying it quite a bit.
From my reading, Scotty cheated by using a theory that worked out mathematically for the computer simulation but didn't work in reality.

I also remember Spock doing something cheeky as well.

None of them approached the problem "honestly".

Ah, but Sulu was one of the few of them to eventually make captain. Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.

I have no clue, why?
He's my favorite Star Trek captain, precisely because he tends to reason his way through crises rather than blasting through them.
I didn't like Janeway's character, because her decision making was all over the map. The writing that show was so disappointing. Picard was a very good captain, though I'd say his playing of it was that of a captain, but rarely as a Captain of a crew where as Sisko was clearly in charge of a base and its crew. In fact, I'd say DS9 was actually a base where people were in charge giving others orders. Where as the Enterprise was almost running on automatic.

I have no clue, why?

And there is Counselor Troy walking around always butting into people's business.
And it was completely unrealistic. For poor Diana Troi, each time she tries to tell Picard about what the other was thinking it'd been "He was obsessed with my chest." Every episode would have Troi seeing the screen popping up and then rolling her eyes once she start reading the feelings and thoughts.

And it was completely unrealistic. For poor Diana Troi, each time she tries to tell Picard about what the other was thinking it'd been "He was obsessed with my chest." Every episode would have Troi seeing the screen popping up and then rolling her eyes once she start reading the feelings and thoughts.
She did have some nice camel toes in her outfit.

I have no clue, why?

How is that unrealistic? Sounds about right to me....

Ah, but Sulu was one of the few of them to eventually make captain. Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.
That's the wrong frelling sci-fi franchise you pashang well-wala! Get your smegging shows right.

The original series ST stories weren't particularly different from stories told by Shakespeare. Shakespeare himself set many of his stories in fantastical worlds, or in the past, in order to get away with saying stuff the authorities wouldn't tolerate if he were explicit about their relevance to contemporary events.

Star Trek is Horatio Hornblower, only set in the future rather than the past. Men on ships, exploring new horizons and having swashbuckling adventures.
I've heard it said TOS was  Wagon Train in the future.

Watching Wagon Train, as a kid, I saw Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear, Romeo and Juliet and probably a few more, long before I knew enough about Shakespeare to be able to recognise them.

Why waste a universal plot if you're running dry one week?

The Orville deals with modern concerns in much the same way. One episode, dealing with the "friending, unfriending" idea hopefully made a few people think.

This is a little OT, but should be of interest to Star Trek:TOS fans. Apparently, the long lost (well actually, stolen) 3' model of the Enterprise showed up on ebay recently, but the auction was quickly taken down at the request of Gene Roddenberry's son. But there are screen captures of the auction photos circulating around. This guy goes in depth on his YouTube channel discussing the model's origins and clues as to its authenticity based on the photos. Worth a view (but it looks like you'll have to watch it on YouTube)...

Back
Top Bottom