• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stupid things you've done to your computer

The first computer I put together would run flawlessly with the tower on it's side but not standing up. I must of reseated those connections 20 times trying to figure out the culprit. I finally figured out I forgot to put the spacers in by the screws on one side, so the motherboard was making contact with the metal case and POP! No power. I about hit myself over the head with the monitor once I figured it out.

PSA: Amazon cloud drive, unlimited storage for $59.99 a year, is a great deal. I've backed up my entire NAS, encrypted, to their servers, with scheduled daily syncs. Worth it IMO, especially if you have a serious data hoarding problem (like I do!).

Nah, I'm too cheap for that. About the worst thing I would lose would be the TurboTax files and I've got hard copies of all the tax filings.

As for stupid things I've done to computers, the list is long and embarrassing and includes incidents of both physical destruction and data loss. :(

Don't tease, spill!

I used to like Cherry keyboards. Very nice, crisp, a joy to use. But utterly unable to deal with any sort of spill. I manage to destroy two of the with spills of soft drinks. These keyboards were expensive little devils. I now use cheap Dell keyboards.

I've mentioned a couple of these before. Before the day of computer security, I used Attrib to hide most of my files. Anyone who knew a little about DOS could break it, but this is college and such knowledge wasn't terribly common.

I was use the -s to change files to system so they couldn't be accessed. My problem was, I added that attribute to the DOS directory which included the Attrib command, which meant I couldn't undo it!!! This was back in the day of different versions of DOS, I think I had 3.3 or 5.0 and 6.0 was common at the college. Took a while to find a copy of Attrib that'd work on my computer to undo. Oi!

Another time (a long time ago), I was learning DOS (so quite a while back). I was messing around with "Delete" I think and was learning about the * symbol. I think I ran the command Delete A:\*.* I had a game diskette in the drive. It was Red Storm Rising and retailed for about $30 which was a good sum of money in the day. Completely toasted the disk. Well, not completely. Luckily my dad was computer literate. I had copied the disk before deleting it. And the disk still had a copy protect code in it (I think it was the Volume Title because it had a heart symbol, which would make it hard to reproduce for a novice). So the game still worked, you ran the copy disk, then inserted the game disk for copy protect and then you ran the game. *phew!*

Another old day story, there were switches on the back of our Dot Matrix printer. I was curious what they did. I pretty much did the equivalent of removing the spark plugs and not remembering how to put it back to the way it was. Dad wasn't pleased, but was able to fix it. I seriously need to remember these stories to keep things in perspective when my daughter inevitably fucks something up.

We have Project"wise" installed at work, and boy does that thing love to do pop ups. The best part is when it pops something up that needs to be clicked, but does so behind windows that are open. I have wasted 15 to 20 minutes trying to figure out why I can't do anything with Civil3D! And then I start minimizing windows and there is that little fucker, presumably enjoying the view of my Desktop Background.

I installed Red Hat on a computer (dual boot) and fucked up the MBR and lost everything! Not really funny, and I didn't do anything wrong. I was able to run Red Hat once and then the computer said 'fuck it'. Not really a funny story. :(

My stupidest thing, not done TO a computer, but a computer was in the room:

I bought a second-hand computer, and discovered to my dismay it didn't have a parallel port to hook up my printer. (Pre-USB days.)

So I researched online and found a serial-to-parallel adapter, cost me about forty bucks, almost as much as the PC cost.

While plugging it in, I finally saw the parallel port staring me right in the face.
Ouch! Transdimensional Snatchers strike again.

They took away our carbonless-paper log books and gave us an Electronic Log Computer, a laptop..
The first thing I thought of was stow for sea. If the 3-ring binder fell off the watch station counter, no one cared. So I went to the sail shop and got some super-strength Velcro and mounted the log book on the counter. It took a strong back and a crowbar to get that thing off.

So, first time we dive after we do to see, I sit there smugly as the Launcher watch scrambles to save his logging laptop. Mine sits quietly and secure.

Until we reach a steep enough angle that the weight of the computer was no longer holding the Plexiglas cover down on the counter. The whole plastic sheet jumped off the counter, broke in half across my lap, and the computer tumbled to the other end of MCC.

Still took a strong man and a crowbar to remove it from the shattered remains of the cover... The Weapons Officer was duly impressed. Until the shards of laptop casing started to fall to the deck...

I dismantled my keyboard, washed the top panel (containing the keys) in detergent and dried in with a hair drier. The high heat warped the plastic and most of the keys stopped moving properly. To make matters worse, it was a $200 gaming keyboard.

You are not helping people's opinions of Aussies doing things like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep - Tiger. Naughty pudda!
It wasn't me! I'm innocent (this time)!

Last year we bought a new Windows 8 HP laptop to replace an older one that had crashed permanently. A couple weeks later, I let it do a full patch and firmware update after getting back from vacation. The POS turned into molasses on ice on reboot; 5 minute to be allowed to log in; having to wait 15-30 second between each click. Realizing I would probably have to spend a weekend to recover the POS, I returned the laptop to the store as it was still within having a refund policy, and went out and coughed up for a MacBook.

Ok, a FUBAR by me: Coming off a nasty night of oncall finishing off the week of oncall. My replacement needed to have an oddball Linux server (we were 90% Solaris/AIX; and even this server wasn’t our standard Linux model) rebooted, but it was about a ¼ mile away. I volunteered to take the walk as I figured the walking would be good to help me feel more awake. Got to the server room, and found the Linux server at the bottom of the rack, and flipped its power switch. Then OH-SHIT, why did all the lights on the whole rack go out? Yeah, I killed power to about 6 servers. I was lucky in that only 1 of the servers marginally supported production. FWIW, the all recovered w/o issues after restoring power; the paperwork took longer afterword.

This thread reminded me of something I did some time ago that I'm not all that proud of, so I'll put it up here for all of you to see. Probably 15 years ago now, my girlfriend at the time had met a couple, and they became our friends and would come over, hang out sometimes, etc. I wasn't all that fond of them, but my girlfriend liked the female of the pair, and seemed to be good friends.

One morning I went out out my car, and the window was broken. My gf hadn't removed the stereo faceplate, and well, the stereo was gone, which was a shame because I really liked that stereo. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I went over the the couple's house to pick up my girlfriend, and while I'm there, I spot a pawn shop receipt on a hutch in their dining room, it's a receipt for a car stereo - the same model that was stolen from my car. I know the two cars my "friends" have, and they don't have a stereo anything like this. It isn't too hard to figure out what happened. I wait to do anything until I talk to my gf, and she implores me to just let it go and break off contact. OK, fine, although I'm not happy about it.

So, I don't hear from them for a few weeks, and there's a knock on my door one day, and it's the "better half" of the wonderful couple. She has a box in her arms, and says she "ordered" some computer parts and wants to know if I can build the computer, since I'm good with that kind of stuff. Ignoring the obvious question of why people who know nothing about computers order computer parts, I decide to do a little investigation. I tell her to give me some time (a few days) to put it together. Now, the packing slip is inside the box, (it was from Newegg if I recall) and it doesn't have the address, but it has a name and the component model numbers. Looking around, I ascertain there's some nice parts in this box, better components than I have by far. So, I call the police, which is stupid for this type of thing, as I basically get the runaround for trying to do the right thing, and I'm told to do whatever I please with these parts.

The next day I call the girl, tell her she has just about everything she needs for the computer build, except the case, and I give her some options for one. She brings me a case a week later. I wipe my computer, remove the components, put it into her case and give it to them. They're so happy they pay me 20 bucks for putting it together. I'm happy because I have a much better computer. I got some revenge, and it's my hope that the actual Newegg customer got their parts. If I could have found out who it was I just would have given them the components, ah well.

Back
Top Bottom