• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Syed's Mega-Thread

i think mormonism is a cult not a religion
I have many relatives who would agree with you on that.
They say that the Mormons worship the wrong Jesus.
Of course, they think you're going to hell for not worshiping the right Jesus, too.
I've yet to see a reason to take one such opinion over another one....Including yours.

Obviously, you're saying the LDS is a cult in order to duck taking adult responsibility for your error in saying everyone believes in only one god....

Atheists don't believe in the existence of any God or gods. That being the meaning of the word.

religious people also dont believe there is multiple god

Each religious believer having their own idea of god. Which is not compatible with someone else's idea of god.....all different versions of the idea of god. The word, like a Rorschach blot, evoking versions of 'god' that are far more indicative of the psychology of the believer than any sort of objective reality.

religious people also dont believe there is multiple god

Each religious believer having their own idea of god. Which is not compatible with someone else's idea of god.....all different versions of the idea of god. The word, like a Rorschach blot, evoking versions of 'god' that are far more indicative of the psychology of the believer than any sort of objective reality.

donald trump

some say he will save white america

some say he is raciest

some say he is anti muslims

some say he is anti mexican

some say he grab women by lol

but ALL agree that american president does exist

But very few people are all that happy about it.
It's bad enough (oh so very badly enough) that you would characterize the number of people as few, but you take hyperbole to a further egregious extreme by tagging on the "very" qualifier. Seeing as my crystal ball says he's going to take over Canada, it seems to be (and not merely seeming by me) that your courage is daring in light of that predictive fact.

There are those who will argue about whether or not he's the 45th, though. It depends on who you ask and who they consider the 'first.' And does Cleveland count as 1 or 2....

On the other hand, there's far more disagreement about whether there's one god or many or none.
Or if the concept of a god even makes enough sense to make the factuality of gods possible to determine.

donald trump

some say he is raciest

Category error. I'd explain it to you, but I already know it would be a waste of time.

donald trump

some say he is raciest

I can't see much of a connection between what I said and what you said in reply.

donald trump

some say he is raciest

The reason all agree he exists is because we can see him on TV, people have physically shook his hand, I personally grew up in the same neighborhood he did, and I can take you to the house down the block from where I lived to meet his parents right now.

IF all we had on the existence of Trump were ancient stories written a century after his alleged death.. .and all of the stories conflicted each other like you listed above, then there would be no agreement that he exists.

atheism is worthless philosophy will not survived

there is no benefit in atheism, for instance if my life based on denying aliens dont exist, i again nothing from it

if i believe sky daddy exist and he want me to be good human

WE ALL benefit from that EVEN that is a delusion

atheism only offer is delusion like " we believe in science" "there will be no war if we all become atheists"

in other hand religion civilized human

If you call the shit going on in this world in the name of religion civilized then what is your definition civilized.

Gila Guerilla

thanks

what the question my friend?

Hi there Syed.

There was no question: as promised to you, I just showed you that your concept of "God" is illogical, contradictory,
and therefore must be an incorrect conception of what "God" is, or is capable of, or both.
I pointed out some of your errors, and why they are errors, and invited you to put them right - if you can.

As promised, the analysis is evidently true to any rational person, because it mostly relies on known facts and logic.
To understand that, it must be read in detail and understood. If it is not understandable, questions need to be asked.
If it contains errors, (of fact or logic),they need to be quoted, and the reasons they are in error explained to me.

Cheers,
Gila Guerilla.

atheism is worthless philosophy will not survived
there is no benefit in atheism, for instance if my life based on denying aliens dont exist, i again nothing from it
if i believe sky daddy exist and he want me to be good human
WE ALL benefit from that EVEN that is a delusion
atheism only offer is delusion like " we believe in science" "there will be no war if we all become atheists"
in other hand religion civilized human
The problem with your comment is that it features a number of misunderstandings.

1. Atheism is not a philosophy, and has no dogmas or prescriptions.
Atheism is at its simplest, a lack of belief in any gods.
You may have noticed that in my posts, I have never said: "There is no god".
What I do say is that all of the concepts of what "God" or any gods is/are, are not convincing, so I remain unconvinced.
I think that most atheists fit the same category as me.
However, there are some atheists who do say that there is no god, and I think they have good reasons for it.
But I am an agnostic atheist, meaning that I cannot prove that there is no god, but I can prove that some conceptions of what
"God" or gods is/are, MUST BE wrong, and so not worthy of believing in. They fail to meet the burden of proof, and so are simply
not accepted by me.

2. As an atheist, I don't deny that aliens exist. Nor do I claim that they do exist. My position on aliens is the same as my position
on the existence of "God" / gods. We don't know, so we ought not to believe. The existence of aliens or not is, (so far), not of much
consequence, because people don't tie lifestyle consequences to the belief or otherwise, (or at least people who do, are considered
to be slightly crazy, and much too paranoid).

If I was supposed to believe that aliens have some particular influence in human life, and that I must or must not do certain things,
and that I must believe all that, then I'd say: "Pooh! Show me why." People don't tell us a load of stuff about aliens, so I don't give
it much thought, (until you brought it up, Syed).

3. Atheism is not a position which is of any benefit, except if it reflects TRUTH. I can see two possible truth positions it might fulfill :-

A) There are no gods, and so atheism is simply the truth.
B) There is/are a "God" or gods, but some of us are unconvinced. For people to be convinced, something convincing needs to be
presented. In my case, so far, it hasn't happened. This means that it could be you, Syed, who gives me what I need to be
convinced. So far it hasn't happened.

4. If your belief, Syed, does by chance happen to be a delusion, then it misses the point of TRUTH. From my perspective, I would
want to believe what is true, because knowing the truth will be the best portal to understanding the way things really work, and
what to do to live a good life, (for myself, and for all of humanity).

Further, if you accept a delusion, you promote the acceptance of delusions by others, quite a few of whom would use their
delusion to promote and commit acts which I suspect you do not approve of. No doubt you are not a terrorist*, but if your belief
is a delusion, then many Islamic terrorists are using variations of that same delusion to do their violence. Such an attitude says:
"It's OK to believe in and live by delusion - so go ahead everyone and be deluded". If it's OK for you to be deluded, it ought to be
OK for anyone else, with the same or other delusions.

So there are some hugely bad effects from living and promoting a delusion, (and I haven't looked into them all in this post, not by a long shot).

* = There may be valid political or other complaints to support the terrorist agenda, and as an atheist, I can acknowledge and
sympathise with them. I suspect that at the root of much of it may be Christian-based ideologies or justifications or just plain
thoughtlessness. For example George Bush was an other-land invading President, who was (and is), a Christian - not an atheist.
I won't ignore the possibility that atheists too can be biased, prejudiced, racist etc. That's just part of being keen on the TRUTH.

4. Atheism offers no solutions such as "we believe in science" ~ "there will be no war if we all become atheists". Atheism simply says:-
"We are unconvinced that any gods exist, and all of the god concepts presented so far, do not meet a burden of proof, or of logical necessity".

Since at the least, that is an agnostic position, we then have to contend with its consequences. A response to the problem of how do
we make the world a better place, and try to minimise and eliminate wars, we would do well to ask the questions like:-

a) What causes wars?
b) What ends wars?
c) What has experience taught about the most satisfactory cessation of particular wars through history ?
d) What is it in humans which makes us prone to go to war?
e) Which places on earth have the most peaceful, and least warlike societies, (with the citizenry fulfilled, happy and content too), and
what are the features of those places ?
f) Does it look like the features found in answer to question e), actually help to bring about the state of peace in those places?

5. Science is not a delusion. The methodologies of science are the best conceived of by humanity, for preventing delusional thinking
and conclusions. Science relies on open-ness, boundedness#, honesty, testability, ability to make predictions, availability of information;
(it's stored in books journals etc), evidence, willingness to follow the evidence to its conclusion, willingness to change ideas based on
new information, scholarship, communication and so on.

I'd say that more than willingness to do these things, it is a built code of ethics which makes them a imperatives.

# = knowing its own limits, and a willingness to say, when it is the case: "We don't know".

6. If religion has civilised humans, then you need to delineate what you mean by the term civilised, Syed.
One of the problems with religious people is that may they tend to say: "We have the answers, and we will not be swayed by anything".

And by the way, Syed, I have only asked one question in all of this post, it's two lines up. The rest are just my thoughts. Now you can
pull them apart, and show me how they might be wrong, or foolish, or lacking in logic or sense. Go to it my friend, Gila Guerilla

Gila Guerilla

thanks

what the question my friend?

Hi there Syed.

There was no question: as promised to you, I just showed you that your concept of "God" is illogical, contradictory,
and therefore must be an incorrect conception of what "God" is, or is capable of, or both.
I pointed out some of your errors, and why they are errors, and invited you to put them right - if you can.
which concept of "God" is logical to you?

Hi there Syed.
which concept of "God" is logical to you?
You have not read my posts properly. I have stated that NO CONCEPTS of "God" or gods are sufficiently convincing to me.
The answer is NONE.

What I have also stated, (with great effort, and lots of posts, at length), is that YOUR concept of what "God" is and can do is illogical, and therefore not possible.
If you want your concept of "God" to be more logical, you need to look at what I have written, and point out where it is in error, or else if it is not in error, change
your concept of what "God" is and can do. Then you can post what you have thought about and decided, in that regard.

If you don't do so, then I must remain atheist, and further than that, all of your efforts will actually have convinced me even more that my current atheist stance is the best.
Furthermore, whenever you post or write anything about "God" what he has done, what "he" cannot do etc. etc. I will react with the thought: "Syed's making unjustified claims".
As such, I see no other sensible reaction than to dismiss anything that you say with regard to "God", because your god, Syed, (the one you post about), is an impossibility.

Last edited:
Gila Guerilla

i dont debate with atheists to convince them there is a god, if i was i would had left this forum long time ago with disappointment

i am here for a good debate to learn and hopefully other will learn from me

my concept of god is illogical to you that doesn't mean it illogical for me

my understanding of god is very simple without mystery, rational and just god

Back
Top Bottom