• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Taylor Swifts court trial

Shot in the dark? Because a contrarian who argues just to argue saw another contrarian who argues just to argue getting ganged up on and his/her underdog instinct kicked in. /holsterspistol
Anyone is perfectly free to try me as a person who argues for the sake of arguing.

Well with a challenge like that, how can I have ever possibly thought so to begin with?!

And so legally, the case is all but over.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jury-sides-with-taylor-swift-in-groping-trial-w497780

The suit brought by the DJ was thrown out, the jury ruled in favor of giving Swift a dollar, and all that remains is the complaint against her mother and radio promotions manager. The latter is - according to everyone I know - a stand up guy and consummate professional. This is all but a done deal.

Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, Imma let you finish but Beyonce had one of the best ass grab verdicts of all time.

I agree that euphemistic language does not take the act seriously enough, yet I feel "sexual assault" is too strong a choice for this specific case.

It fits the legal definition - both in the UK where that article is from and for the US Department of Justice:

Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.
(bolding mine)

From a legal perspective, the word "assault" does not automatically indicate actual or threatened violence. It means: "Intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact." (bolding mine)

What the DJ did to Taylor Swift was, in fact and in the law, sexual assault and it should be called as such. Using euphemisms or substitute words imply that it is not a sexual assault, and leave the victim feeling like she (or he) are over-reacting when they object.

The good news is that she won the case and in my view rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom