• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Texas Governor Pardons Convicted Murder

Colonel Sanders

Basic Beliefs
Atheist

The governor also accepted the pardon board’s recommendation to restore Perry’s firearm rights.

Foster was taking part in the protest and legally carrying a semiautomatic rifle when he approached the intersection where Perry was in his car. Perry shot Foster from the vehicle with a handgun.

So there you have it. Murdering protesters and/or leftists is a-okay in the U.S. of A. Not only that, you'll get back the tools you use to commit the murder.

I suppose posting this here won't do much good though... hell, posting it to a conservative forum will only give them ideas.

It is impossible to see how the U.S. recovers from this brand of murderous conservatism even if Trump loses in November. I like to think that without Trump, all the wayward functionally illiterate village idiots would go back to being disinterested, but at best it's going to take decades to repair. The kids like to blame the "boomers" for this shit, but the old folks only make up about 16% of the population. IOW, these problems don't disappear when the current old folks die off.

Well, whatever. This is what we have to look forward to.

I heard about this yesterday. it's an outrage. Of course the victims was a young Black man who was also exercising his right to bear arms. The 2nd amendment was based on giving slave holders the chance to shoot run away slaves. At least that's what I've read recently and I believe it. It was never, ever meant for self defense, but that's what happens when a county is run by nasty idiots, who love guns more than they love people or pets for that matter.

I heard about this yesterday. it's an outrage. Of course the victims was a young Black man who was also exercising his right to bear arms. The 2nd amendment was based on giving slave holders the chance to shoot run away slaves. At least that's what I've read recently and I believe it. It was never, ever meant for self defense, but that's what happens when a county is run by nasty idiots, who love guns more than they love people or pets for that matter.
It was a BLM protest, and many of Perry's intended victims were black, but Garrett Foster, the man he shot to death, was white.

If you'd like to know more about Foster, who was also a veteran of the Air Force, I highly recommend this Rolling Stone interview with his widow:

So Texas has strong Stand Your Ground protections, and despite that, he was still convicted. Is it just me or does this feel like it could impart a particular message to the alt-right regarding the use of deadly violence against the not alt-right?

I didn't follow this case, or really even remember it happening, but for those who did, what evidence of self defense is Broden talking about, and what evidence is being suppressed?

Clint Broden, Perry's attorney, said in a statement that the circumstances of this case have "always been tragic" but that the evidence supported Perry's account of self-defense. The lawyer accused Garza of suppressing evidence that would have supported Perry's case.

"The Board of Pardons and Paroles undertook an independent and extensive review of the case," Broden said. "In particular, it interviewed the police detective who had previously determined, after a thorough investigation, that Mr. Perry had acted in self-defense when confronted with an angry crowd and a person with an assault rifle in the low ready position."

I didn't follow this case, or really even remember it happening, but for those who did, what evidence of self defense is Broden talking about, and what evidence is being suppressed?

Clint Broden, Perry's attorney, said in a statement that the circumstances of this case have "always been tragic" but that the evidence supported Perry's account of self-defense. The lawyer accused Garza of suppressing evidence that would have supported Perry's case.

"The Board of Pardons and Paroles undertook an independent and extensive review of the case," Broden said. "In particular, it interviewed the police detective who had previously determined, after a thorough investigation, that Mr. Perry had acted in self-defense when confronted with an angry crowd and a person with an assault rifle in the low ready position."
If evidence was suppressed by the Prosecution, that'd be grounds for an appeal. There is no doubt he killed the man. This is another one of those person who shoots gets away with it deals. Kind of why I hate open carry in the first place.

Meanwhile:
article said:
According to court documents, Perry began searching for the locations of Black Lives Matter protests weeks before the shooting and messaged friends on social media, comparing protesters to "a bunch of monkeys flinging [expletive] at a zoo".

In May 2020, shortly after Floyd's death, he sent a text message saying: "I might go to Dallas to shoot looters."

He also sent messages about "hunting Muslims" and about killing a daughter if she had a crush on "a little negro boy".
link

It was a BLM protest, and many of Perry's intended victims were black, but Garrett Foster, the man he shot to death, was white.
Thanks for that. For some reason, I must have missed that when I read about this or maybe I assumed he was Black since his partner was and it was a BLM protest. Mixed race relationships are so common where I live, I should not have jumped to such conclusions.

Regardless, it was a murder and the man should not have been pardoned. I read that a lot of people in Texas pressured the gov to pardon him. Texas isn't the same place that it was when I lived there in the 70s, but I did live in San Antonio, probably the most liberal city in the state, even more so than Austin, imo. There was still quite a bit of racism directed toward those who had Mexican heritage or were immigrants from Mexico when I lived there. Being young and naive, I was shocked by the hatred directed towards wonderful people, based on their ethnic heritage. I imagine it's much worse now compared to back then.

So Texas has strong Stand Your Ground protections, and despite that, he was still convicted. Is it just me or does this feel like it could impart a particular message to the alt-right regarding the use of deadly violence against the not alt-right?
That's exactly my thought too. It's apparent that under the right set of circumstances that if you're of the correct political stripe that you can get away with killing protesters.

The following is a list of Abbot's previous pardons. It's a short list and consists of low level offenders:

So being convicted under the beyond-a-reasonable-doubt burden amounts to the same degree as a pardon for theft in 1967 during which the pardoned person served 2 years of probation.

Is there any doubt about what's going to happen to non-GOP'ers if Trump gets back into the White House? The nation revolted during multiple protests during that godawful time and that piggy little Bob's Big Boy shithead got away with murder. Imagine thousands of those people having free license to massacre.

Thanks for that. For some reason, I must have missed that when I read about this or maybe I assumed he was Black since his partner was and it was a BLM protest. Mixed race relationships are so common where I live, I should not have jumped to such conclusions.

Regardless, it was a murder and the man should not have been pardoned. I read that a lot of people in Texas pressured the gov to pardon him. Texas isn't the same place that it was when I lived there in the 70s, but I did live in San Antonio, probably the most liberal city in the state, even more so than Austin, imo. There was still quite a bit of racism directed toward those who had Mexican heritage or were immigrants from Mexico when I lived there. Being young and naive, I was shocked by the hatred directed towards wonderful people, based on their ethnic heritage. I imagine it's much worse now compared to back then.
Indeed. I had no intention of defending Perry, who transparently and by his own words was a openly racist vigilante with violent intent, who came to that rally in order to kill BLM protestors. That his fatal victim was white in no way excuses his actions. It is, in fact, illegal to murder anyone. I don't see how the governor's actions in pardoning him can be intended as anything other than an incitement to racialized violence in his state this June.

. I don't see how the governor's actions in pardoning him can be intended as anything other than an incitement to racialized violence in his state this June.
I try to avoid having firm opinions about such events, because it's too hard to get clear information. But, boy, that's sure what it looks like. Lots of politics, not much justice.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom