• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The asian squat

Gandhi had his quirks and foibles to be sure.

One thing he had was a deep concern for fellow Indians.

His symbol was the spinning wheel. He promoted cottage industry as a way to get independent from the Brits economically.

He was no arm chair moralist or philodoher.

A bit off topic.

His symbol was the spinning wheel. He promoted cottage industry as a way to get independent from the Brits economically.

A bit off topic.
Adding.

Calling Gandhi just a middle class lawyer is like callig MLK jusr a middle class preacher.

Bot gave up what would have been a comfortable noddle class life, and both were assassinated. Both new they were not likey to die of natural causes.

This reminds me of
Kyrsten Sinema’s Party of One - The New York Times
Kyrsten Sinema was standing a few yards from the border wall with four Republican members of Congress. The men were staring balefully at a row of nearby portable toilets, wondering aloud if they could hold out for a proper bathroom on the way back to the airport. Sinema assured Representatives David Valadao of California and Tony Gonzales of Texas that they need not worry on her account.

“If you know anything about me,” she said, gesturing vaguely out into the desert, “you know that I’ll go anywhere.” The two men, who were just getting to know the Arizona senator, laughed. “I mean,” Sinema added as she pointed back to the porta-potties, “I come from humble beginnings. That there is some fancy [expletive].”

Quit with the meat and dairy and it won’t be such an issue. I would suspect anyone working in the field (if you'll pardon the pun) knows this so why bother with any costly study. As a vegan I shat like a horse. It was large, firm, and frequent. And I had a rather sweet disposition.

Quit with the meat and dairy and it won’t be such an issue. I would suspect anyone working in the field (if you'll pardon the pun) knows this so why bother with any costly study. As a vegan I shat like a horse. It was large, firm, and frequent. And I had a rather sweet disposition.
Doesn't sound very ecofriendly.

More bowel movements per day means more water for flushing and more trees for toilet paper. A greater burden on the sewage system. Higher property taxes.

A bit off topic.
Adding.

Calling Gandhi just a middle class lawyer is like callig MLK jusr a middle class preacher.

Bot gave up what would have been a comfortable noddle class life, and both were assassinated. Both new they were not likey to die of natural causes.

Wokes have deep concern for minorities. They still mostly end up hurting minorities. Environmentalists have a deep concern for the environment, but tend to focus on the wrong thing and usually end up making the problem worse. The road to hell is paved with good intention. A persons deep concern is a good start. But will not get you the whole way.

Gandhi was a Hindu fanatic. If you understand hinduism, you'll understand that guy. He didn't care how many people got hurt, as long as he succeeded. The thing with Gandhi is that, as a lawyer he understood the contradition underpinning the British empire. You can't claim to be a proponent of liberalism, human rights and free trade while simultaneously taking part in the imperialistic project of stripping their colonies bare of resources. These two stories are in direct contradition.

*British imperialism footnote*
As opposed to other imperial nations the British empire was mostly created by accident. Due to an accident in history (the British civil war) the Brits made private property sacred and outside the reach of the British crown. Which forced the crown to use funds wisely and not fight wars they couldn't afford. As the first nation in history to do this (together with the Netherlands) their merchants became fabulously wealthy. In order to open up overseas markets British merchants used guns. Since these were motivated 100% by greed/market forces, the British government would sooner or later inevitably have to get involved (to protect the natives). Taking possesion over the colony.

So the British governments narrative of having the natives interest at heart, could be used against them, if the natives managed to prove to the British public that the colonial rule, wasn't in fact in the interest of the natives, then they could get the government to retreat. Which is exactly what happened.

This can be contrasted with the Portuguese, Belgian or Dutch colonial empires, where there was never any pretence of anything but maximum resource extraction. In these cases non-violent peaceful protests were a non-starter. South Africa is another good example.
* End British imperialism footnote*

MLK could use the same tactic in USA since USA is also founded on a narrative supposedly protecting human rights and all people's freedom and equality. So the US civil rights movement worked in the same way Gandhi's did.

Gandhi as a fanatic, that is a new twist. He was Hindu and had a practiced prayer to recite in prepration for the assassination he knew would come. As he fell he said the prayer.

He was Hindu but tried to build a Hindu Muslim bridge and that angered his fellow Hindus. When the Brits pulled out the Muslims and Hindus went at each other.

I read a book of his letters. I read a book of MLK's sermons. As with Gandhi, MLK knew he was not likely to live to die from natural causes, yet moved forward. MLK has had his detectors and not all blacks in the day supported MLK's passive resistance. Some argue had he not been killed he would have faded into obscurity. Yet his cultural impact over here was enormous.

That they both had had human failings does not diminish their legacies.

From what I read he was down to Earth generally. He had his quirks. He beloved mud baths and fasting could cure disease. In WWII he advocated the Allies in Europe disarm themselves and defeat the Germans with passive resistance.

Due to an accident in history (the British civil war)
The English Civil War.

It is more correctly referred to by modern historians as the Wars (note: plural) of the Three Kingdoms, though its centrepiece was the Civil War in England. It also included semi-independent wars between English forces (on both sides of the Civil War) against Scotland, and (mostly by the Parliamentarians and their post-victory Commonwealth Protectorate) against Ireland.

Some Welsh forces were deployed by the Royalists in England, but these were not a hugely significant factor in any of the wars.

"British" as a concept was not really a thing in the Seventeenth century, and certainly didn't refer to a single political entity, that could have a civil war over its control, until the Acts of Union in 1706/7.

Gandhi as a fanatic, that is a new twist. He was Hindu and had a practiced prayer to recite in prepration for the assassination he knew would come. As he fell he said the prayer.

He was Hindu but tried to build a Hindu Muslim bridge and that angered his fellow Hindus. When the Brits pulled out the Muslims and Hindus went at each other.

That's way more complicated than just a tribal divide. During the British rule, the governor generals had poured fuel on the religious conflict to make India easier to govern. What a surprise that all erupted when the Brits pulled out.

I read a book of his letters. I read a book of MLK's sermons. As with Gandhi, MLK knew he was not likely to live to die from natural causes, yet moved forward. MLK has had his detectors and not all blacks in the day supported MLK's passive resistance. Some argue had he not been killed he would have faded into obscurity. Yet his cultural impact over here was enormous.

That they both had had human failings does not diminish their legacies.

MLK and Gandhi were different people, with different motivations and goals. At no point was MLK gunning for being the American president. The only thing they had in common was that they operated in a context where non-violent resistance was a useful political tool, AND they happened to belong to a dominant religious faith that also happened to emphasize non-violance.

Politics is the art of the possible. I have a much higher respect for MLK than Ghandi.

From what I read he was down to Earth generally. He had his quirks. He beloved mud baths and fasting could cure disease. In WWII he advocated the Allies in Europe disarm themselves and defeat the Germans with passive resistance.

Lol "down to Earth". That's a new one. Passive resistance is really what would have stopped Hitler. Like I said, a fanatic.

You dismissed Gandhi as a 'middle class lawyer' and implied a Hindu extremist nut case. That amigo is simplistic.

Start a thread on history if you want to continue. It is way off topic.

Who here have done both the squat and the sit? Was there a difference? On many treks thru the backcountry the squat was all there was. I can't remember it being any different than being on a toilet.

Does a bear shit in the woods?

I imagine there are portable stools to sit on for campers.

At home it is easy, squat over the toilet without sitting down....

Who here have done both the squat and the sit? Was there a difference? On many treks thru the backcountry the squat was all there was. I can't remember it being any different than being on a toilet.
Backcountry and I've traveled in parts of the world where all there are are squat toilets. My calves hate it.

Back
Top Bottom