• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Beautiful Cats Thread

3_MPM_JAGUAR_DIVE_05-650x1024.jpg

Not nearly as majestic as some recent examples, but here's my mom's cat:

270180314_10209473407748036_5945454013988353826_n.jpg

She got him a few years ago after her previous kitty had died. This young guy grew up on the streets and was rescued from that life. His name is Will, but I think that his real name (inspired by Mel Brooks' governor in Blazing Saddles) is The Honorable William J. Lepetocat. He was my buddy all last week while I was home for the holidays, and this is his "why did you stop petting me?!" face.

View attachment 36544

She got him a few years ago after her previous kitty had died. This young guy grew up on the streets and was rescued from that life. His name is Will, but I think that his real name (inspired by Mel Brooks' governor in Blazing Saddles) is The Honorable William J. Lepetocat. He was my buddy all last week while I was home for the holidays, and this is his "why did you stop petting me?!" face.
They're all majestic. 😻

View attachment 36544

FYI, there's actually a backstory behind the Governor's name in Blazing Saddles. From the IMDB trivia page on the movie:

The character Governor LePetomane was named after a popular turn-of-the-century French performer, Joseph Pujol, whose stage name was "Le Pétomane." Pujol was famous for his remarkable control of the abdominal muscles, which enabled him to inhale air into his rectum and expel the air upon command, farting at will. His stage name combines the French verb péter, "to fart" with the -mane suffix, meaning "-maniac," which translates to "fartomaniac." The profession was also referred to as "flatulist," "farteur," or "fartiste." He told stories punctuated with flatulence, demonstrated his ability to blow out candle flames from two feet way with his back turned, and performed "La Marseillaise" and popular tunes. So basically, the Governor's name is William Fartomaniac.

While perusing the trivia page, I came across this amusing little tidbit:

During a speech honoring Mel Brooks as a Kennedy Center Honoree, former President Barack Obama mentioned going to see this film at the age of 12. When Brooks asked how he got in with the ratings restriction, Obama replied, "I think I had a fake ID, that I got with my fake birth certificate" before adding, "The statute of limitations has passed."

:D

View attachment 36544

FYI, there's actually a backstory behind the Governor's name in Blazing Saddles. From the IMDB trivia page on the movie:

The character Governor LePetomane was named after a popular turn-of-the-century French performer, Joseph Pujol, whose stage name was "Le Pétomane." Pujol was famous for his remarkable control of the abdominal muscles, which enabled him to inhale air into his rectum and expel the air upon command, farting at will. His stage name combines the French verb péter, "to fart" with the -mane suffix, meaning "-maniac," which translates to "fartomaniac." The profession was also referred to as "flatulist," "farteur," or "fartiste." He told stories punctuated with flatulence, demonstrated his ability to blow out candle flames from two feet way with his back turned, and performed "La Marseillaise" and popular tunes. So basically, the Governor's name is William Fartomaniac.

While perusing the trivia page, I came across this amusing little tidbit:

During a speech honoring Mel Brooks as a Kennedy Center Honoree, former President Barack Obama mentioned going to see this film at the age of 12. When Brooks asked how he got in with the ratings restriction, Obama replied, "I think I had a fake ID, that I got with my fake birth certificate" before adding, "The statute of limitations has passed."

:D
The things you learn from the internet. For example, I had no idea how close this scene in "Airplane!" hewed to the original.

Back
Top Bottom