• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus vs. ?

guyWithAquestion

Basic Beliefs
Christian
Hello,

I'm going to read The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus, by Gary Habermas. Can you please tell me which book you think would be the strongest, most direct counterpoint to the Habermas book?

Thank you.

A whole book?

There are a few lines in a 2000 year old document by unknown authors that says somebody named Jesus was seen after he allegedly died.

I'm going to read The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus, by Gary Habermas. Can you please tell me which book you think would be the strongest, most direct counterpoint to the Habermas book?
Why are you going to read a book with an immediate desire to rebut it?

I think you'd be best going through the reviews in the Amazon listing. Very likely, someone will list the problems in the book and/or suggest counter-reading.

My favorite is "The Case for Christ", by Lee Strobel.

Strobel makes it clear that one cannot make a case for Jesus' Resurrection if you discuss things rationally with people who know the Bible and the culture.

He makes his case by ignoring them and only discussing his preferred theological world view with people who agree with him. Anybody who reads his best selling book can see it for themselves.
Tom

Hello,

Thank you.

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply read the book and fairly analyze the evidence it uses to support its argument? If you have questions afterward, they will at least be informed questions rather than an attempt to prejudge the results of your inquiry. If you've already made up your mind about its contents and are unwilling to consider whether its central argument is correct, what's the point of reading it at all? That isn't really "reading" so much as gathering ammunition.

Hello,

Thank you.

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply read the book and fairly analyze the evidence it uses to support its argument? If you have questions afterward, they will at least be informed questions rather than an attempt to prejudge the results of your inquiry. If you've already made up your mind about its contents and are unwilling to consider whether its central argument is correct, what's the point of reading it at all? That isn't really "reading" so much as gathering ammunition.
Do you beleve the resurrection tale is open to serious debate as to being a real event?

Hello,

Thank you.

Do you beleve the resurrection tale is open to serious debate as to being a real event?
If I was going to read such a book (I have not), I would want to judge it on its own merits, not research how to "destroy" it in advance. Anyone can come up with such arguments, as can I. I would be very surprised if a mass market apologetic work like this actually managed to convince me of some physical resuscitation of Jesus, but t hat doesn't mean that I embrace close-mindedness on principle. If they have a novel case to make, I'd be interested. And a book may have interesting content beyond its central thesis. I might find that I disagree with their interpretation of some of their provided evidence, for instance, but still agree that said evidence needs to be explained somehow as opposed to being summarily dismissed. The peril of skepticism is that It's harder to agree with the virtues of an argument than it is to find excuses to dismiss one for its flaws, but doing this at all times does not necessarily lead you to a nuanced and accurate understanding of the world.

I think you'd be best going through the reviews in the Amazon listing. Very likely, someone will list the problems in the book and/or suggest counter-reading.
Hi Keith, I just wanted to try to look at both sides of this topic.

I did look through the reviews and elsewhere.

Anybody have any comments (positive or negative) on any of these books?

The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man by Robert Price
Blessed Assurance? by Michael Tenenbaum
How Jesus Became God by Bart Ehrman

Thanks...

Then it seems odd you'd pick one book from one side... I'd have asked for suggestions for both sides. Or a websites collating the best arguments.

But that's me doing me. You gotta d o you, but it seems odd.

Then it seems odd you'd pick one book from one side... I'd have asked for suggestions for both sides. Or a websites collating the best arguments.

BTW I came over to this site because one of the reviewers of the Habermas (or similar) book mentioned this site as a good place to get other perspectives. And then I read on wikipedia that Habermas said this site is one of the main websites for skeptics. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Hello,

Thank you.
This seems quite reasonable to me. I'm curious to know what evidence Habermas presents. (Though not curious enough to read the book or even Google for more info. My To-Do list ia already very long.) My guess is that Habermas has no argument strong enough for me to seek a rebuttal, but it would be exciting if this guess proved to be wrong. After you do read the book, please bump this thread and summarize Habermas' best arguments.

Many (or perhaps most) Infidels doubt that Jesus of Nazareth even existed, so I doubt if there's much interest here in entertaining — even if just to refute — claims that that nonexistent Jesus was resurrected! :)

Both? This implies 2 sides.
Oh no, there are many more than 2.

Did Jesus Resurrect physically, spiritually, fictionally, some combination of the those 3? That's just a simple response to your statement. The reasonable replies are legion.

One could probably get a PhD in Resurrection. There's far more than both sides.
Tom

Both? This implies 2 sides.
Oh no, there are many more than 2.

Did Jesus Resurrect physically, spiritually, fictionally, some combination of the those 3? That's just a simple response to your statement. The reasonable replies are legion.

One could probably get a PhD in Resurrection. There's far more than both sides.
Tom
Usually considered a subset of Christology, among Christians. Not a degree subject, but a common topical concentration within a graduate program in either theology or divinity respectively. In Islam, the subject is a subset of eschatology, as they don't believe in a present resurrection but do anticipate resurrection of the dead in the final days of human history, Ākhir al-Zamān.

Hello,

Thank you.

Paul Johnson's 'History of Christianity' isn't so much a counter point, but an open minded approach to Christianity within history, without evangelical theological blinders. If this book can't get you to think beyond God-breathed Bible thinking, then there is no point...if my assumptions are right.
Amazon product ASIN 0684815036

Hello,

Thank you.

Paul Johnson's 'History of Christianity' isn't so much a counter point, but an open minded approach to Christianity within history, without evangelical theological blinders. If this book can't get you to think beyond God-breathed Bible thinking, then there is no point...if my assumptions are right.
Amazon product ASIN 0684815036
Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you.
This seems quite reasonable to me. I'm curious to know what evidence Habermas presents. (Though not curious enough to read the book or even Google for more info. My To-Do list ia already very long.) My guess is that Habermas has no argument strong enough for me to seek a rebuttal, but it would be exciting if this guess proved to be wrong. After you do read the book, please bump this thread and summarize Habermas' best arguments.

Many (or perhaps most) Infidels doubt that Jesus of Nazareth even existed, so I doubt if there's much interest here in entertaining — even if just to refute — claims that that nonexistent Jesus was resurrected! :)
Thanks Swammerdami. I think I'll read the Habermas book and the Ehrman book. I was planning to write about my findings on my blog, but I might take your invitation to post about it here as well.

Hello,

Thank you.

The Bible. Read Matthew, Mark, John, Luke and Acts. Note the contradictory stories. The false prophecies. Acts, Jesus met his apostles in Jerusalem, told then not to leave Jerusalem and was with then 40 days. then ascended to heaven. Matthew. No, two women met Jesus, sent word to his apostles to go the Galilee as per instructions of Jesus. They did go as ordered. No ascent to heaven mentioned. Mark, No,the apostles did not believe the women and go to Galilee. Luke, Jesus met his apostles, led them out of Jerusalem and ascended to heaven from Bethany. On the same day he left the tomb.

Rather than rely on books by critics, read the gospels and Acts with care and become your own expert using your very own critical thinking skills. There is nothing quite like doing this yourself, carefully and with critical thinking skills on alert. It is not hard. THEN read apologists like Sobel, Habermas, etc.

If you still need books, try John Loftus, Jonathan MS Pearce, Richard Carrier, and Hector Avalos et al.

Last edited:

BTW I came over to this site because one of the reviewers of the Habermas (or similar) book mentioned this site as a good place to get other perspectives. And then I read on wikipedia that Habermas said this site is one of the main websites for skeptics. Anyway, thanks for your input.

For a good site try debunking-Christianity.com, blog of John Loftus. Loftus, an ex-minister has written extensively on these things. For another side, try Reasonable Faith, the site of William Craig Lane. Loftus is an ex-student of WLC's.

There is a long running video series, "Closer To Truth" available of Youtube. Host Robert Lawrence Kuhn interviews numerous theologians, philosophers, atheists and scientists about religious issues and where philosophy and science intersect with religion. Well worth dipping into. R.L. Kuhn asks pointed questions about all of this from noted experts. (And some who really aren't despite their reputations.)

For a good site try debunking-Christianity.com, blog of John Loftus. Loftus, an ex-minister has written extensively on these things. For another side, try Reasonable Faith, the site of William Craig Lane. Loftus is an ex-student of WLC's.

There is a long running video series, "Closer To Truth" available of Youtube. Host Robert Lawrence Kuhn interviews numerous theologians, philosophers, atheists and scientists about religious issues and where philosophy and science intersect with religion. Well worth dipping into. R.L. Kuhn asks pointed questions about all of this from noted experts. (And some who really aren't despite their reputations.)
Thanks for the recommendations, Charlie!

Back
Top Bottom