• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Donald is more electable than many think

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
The more I listen to Trump, the more pithy statements I hear that become soundbites that people try to use against him. Some of them are legit crazy things that are pretty brow raising, but others are taken out of the context of what he clearly meant to say. The "They send us their criminals" line is a good example of that. He has a point buried in that blunt poorly phrased statement. Illegal immigrants are going to tend to be less law abiding folk than legal immigrants, which should be obvious since they are coming in illegally. No, that doesn't mean they are all criminals, rather than merely desperate people, but more of them will be than you will find in legal immigrants.

The guy hides a lot of his progressive ideals too I think. I am pretty certain he is pro-choice, but knows he has to say he is pro-life to win the republican primary. What he said on planned parenthood was a case in point. He stands against other republicans and says they do good and he supports them (though he had to say he opposes the abortion aspect).

He keeps saying politics are corrupt and politicians are bought, and keeps pointing to how lobbyists and people like the Kochs buy politicians, and he keeps pointing out that he has money an isn't taking money from anybody. He'll be selfish and in it for himself, yes, but at least we'd know what his motivations are and they'd be predictable and not bought by special interest groups.

His bluntness is refreshing in a way too. He says what he is thinking, with no filter. That can doom a presidential candidate, but also is amazingly refreshing and sticks out like a lighthouse in the middle of all the other politicians that are clearly trying to win votes instead of address issues they actually care about.

Finally, he keeps surprising me with saying things I agree with and didn't expect to. He is a blowhard and an egomaniac, but he is also a pretty smart guy, has been in big business, and feels almost like an outsider actual human being infiltrating Washington.

I prefer Sanders, and don't think Trump could beat Sanders, but I am kind of liking Trump more than Hillary at this point. I think he could have a much better showing against her than everybody who dismisses him out of hand would have you believe.

He has what all the other do not: celebrity. Recall, the Republican non-politician Schwarzenegger won the governorship of heavily Democrat California. I imagine that if he got the GOP nod, he'd draw in voters who might otherwise not have voted.

I wonder if he would turn Air Force One into Trump One. That seems to be his style.

He has what all the other do not: celebrity. Recall, the Republican non-politician Schwarzenegger won the governorship of heavily Democrat California. I imagine that if he got the GOP nod, he'd draw in voters who might otherwise not have voted.

Yeah, but everyone except Sylvester Stallone likes Arnold. He´s cool. He´s been in a ton of awesome movies and he comes across as a genuinely nice guy. All Trump has in the way of celebrity status is bad hair and coming across like an asshole.

The more I listen to Trump, the more pithy statements I hear that become soundbites that people try to use against him. Some of them are legit crazy things that are pretty brow raising, but others are taken out of the context of what he clearly meant to say. The "They send us their criminals" line is a good example of that. He has a point buried in that blunt poorly phrased statement. Illegal immigrants are going to tend to be less law abiding folk than legal immigrants, which should be obvious since they are coming in illegally. No, that doesn't mean they are all criminals, rather than merely desperate people, but more of them will be than you will find in legal immigrants.

The guy hides a lot of his progressive ideals too I think. I am pretty certain he is pro-choice, but knows he has to say he is pro-life to win the republican primary. What he said on planned parenthood was a case in point. He stands against other republicans and says they do good and he supports them (though he had to say he opposes the abortion aspect).

He keeps saying politics are corrupt and politicians are bought, and keeps pointing to how lobbyists and people like the Kochs buy politicians, and he keeps pointing out that he has money an isn't taking money from anybody. He'll be selfish and in it for himself, yes, but at least we'd know what his motivations are and they'd be predictable and not bought by special interest groups.

His bluntness is refreshing in a way too. He says what he is thinking, with no filter. That can doom a presidential candidate, but also is amazingly refreshing and sticks out like a lighthouse in the middle of all the other politicians that are clearly trying to win votes instead of address issues they actually care about.

Finally, he keeps surprising me with saying things I agree with and didn't expect to. He is a blowhard and an egomaniac, but he is also a pretty smart guy, has been in big business, and feels almost like an outsider actual human being infiltrating Washington.

I prefer Sanders, and don't think Trump could beat Sanders, but I am kind of liking Trump more than Hillary at this point. I think he could have a much better showing against her than everybody who dismisses him out of hand would have you believe.

I do like the fact that Trump can't be bought by the Koch brothers. It's also cool that he got Mexico to pay for the fence! However, I think that he lacks the temperament for the job. If Fox news can get under his skin, how will he handle Putin?

Trump is only electable because many Americans are incredibly ignorant and prefer style over substance.

He built some apartment buildings for rich people.

That's all he's done.

Most have done a lot more with their lives.

Three were governors. One was a senator and the other was vice president and head of the CIA.
But still electable by the same American voters who favor style over substance. Electable is electable.

Today; Money = Electable.

With money you can create an image. It doesn't matter at all if you are a hollow idiot like GW or Trump.

But still electable by the same American voters who favor style over substance. Electable is electable.

With money you can create an image. It doesn't matter at all if you are a hollow idiot like GW or Trump.

You're still failing to show how Trump is different from the last five presidents. Keith&Co. is right. Style over substance, that covers the last five.

Describing the jobs they had before president doesn't defeat the Style over Substance argument, nor does saying money makes you electable.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only was he pro-choice until he decided to flirt with running in 2012, he was also anti-gun (people around here call it favoring gun control for some reason). And he was a major donor to the Democratic Party. And he was a Clinton supporter.

You're still failing to show how Trump is different from the last five presidents. Keith&Co. is right. Style over substance, that covers the last five.

Please demonstrate how Trump has style. And I don't mean his suits.

All I see is a laughably loudmouth ignorant blowhard.

Well, if Trump does become President, we can get some better whores for visitors to the White House. Things have been a bit slow in that regard since Kennedy got shot.

Well, if Trump does become President, we can get some better whores for visitors to the White House. Things have been a bit slow in that regard since Kennedy got shot.

They'll be the prettiest, classiest, most expensive whores money can buy.

So he'd be a step up from President Bubba Clinton?

So he'd be a step up from President Bubba Clinton?

Ya, Clinton never shared his whores. Kennedy was more magnanimous with his guests and the White House was party central during his tenure.

You know damn well that when Trump has people come over for the weekend in order to buy themselves a pardon, he's going to get a decent cut of all the luxury services the place provides and high quality prostitutes will be at the top of the menu.

You're still failing to show how Trump is different from the last five presidents. Keith&Co. is right. Style over substance, that covers the last five...

Not that I care that much since presidents are by and large total shit that work for a narrow interest.

But Trump has been nothing but a petty dictator for decades.

And what do we have for all his efforts?

Some apartments and golf courses for the ultra rich.

He already knows how to work exclusively for the rich so he is in a way just like the past five.

Yeah, but everyone except Sylvester Stallone likes Arnold. He´s cool. He´s been in a ton of awesome movies and he comes across as a genuinely nice guy. All Trump has in the way of celebrity status is bad hair and coming across like an asshole.

No more of an asshole than any of the other US presidential hopefuls/contenders past or present. Bit like our own Jeremy Corbyn, of whom the entire New Labour assholes past and present are now running scared of, and joining forces to traduce him. I've a feeling that their preposterous 'born to rule' complacency is about to hit the buffers, and not before time.

Back
Top Bottom