• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Dotard fights for the 20th century, ...

funinspace

Don't Panic
Basic Beliefs
functional atheist; theoretical agnostic
Meanwhile China works to become the leader of the 21st century. On a side note, it dawned on me that probably a significant part of FFvC's machinations with tariffs is that it is one area where he is largely free to play dictator. I thought the below articles together were a good summation of the potential pitfalls of a trade fight with China from an author (David Goldman) I often don't agree with. I didn't think about how some of the US graduate programs might have a hard time not shrinking after another 2.5 years suffering under Don the Con. It is kind of a scary thought that China may feel strong enough to not put up with FFvC's shit, and be willing to play hard ball if El Cheato miscalculates...

The first article spends more time on some of the obtuse views of Navarro. Oh, and China's GDP is now 60% of the US in raw terms, so FFvC is wrong as usual...
http://www.atimes.com/article/president-trump-moves-to-navarro-navarro-land/
Just remember, we’re twice the size — our economy — twice the size of China,” US President Donald Trump told reporters June 1. The president is catastrophically misinformed.

In terms of purchasing power parity, China’s economy overtook the US in 2013, according to the World Bank. Trump meant that China is small enough to be bullied by the United States. That might be the worst estimation of relative strength since Napoleon III launched a war on Prussia in 1870.
The United States proposes to undertake a trade war while it needs to borrow $1 trillion a year to fund its government deficit for many years to come, and must borrow a large portion of that money overseas.

This is more on the scary idea of a real testy tit-for-tat international wrangling...
http://www.atimes.com/article/a-tragedy-in-the-making-as-the-us-confronts-china/
This is not a drill. Nor is the result of “Art of the Deal” negotiating on the part of the Trump Administration. Since 2015, China has sought to shift its economy from the smokestack-and-export model introduced in 1978 by Deng Xiaoping to a high-tech, consumer-focused model dubbed “Made in China 2025,” supported by $1 trillion in infrastructure investments to ensure Chinese preeminence in the Eurasian continent. The United States ignored China’s high-tech shift for years; now it has discovered that China threatens to leapfrog the United States in critical areas of high technology, military as well as civilian.
<snip>
Ominously, a senior Chinese official, Trade Ministry economist Mei Xinyu, warned last week that China will pursue war on many fronts in response to American protectionism. In an interview with Germany’s leading news organization Der Spiegel, Dr. Mei was asked which measure China will take against the United States. He said, “China has responded to the first installment of US punitive tariffs by imposing countervailing duties in comparable product categories. Should the US now impose tariffs on imports of another 200 billion, China will extend the conflict to other fields,” quoting Mao Zedong’s dictum, “You fight your war your way, and I will fight mine my way.”
<snip>
America is about to become a great deal less open. Foreign and especially Chinese applications to American university graduate programs in physics and other quantitative fields have fallen by a quarter to a half for next year’s fall semester, as foreign students feel a chill wind from Washington. Some universities fear that they will not be able to maintain their existing programs in the absence of foreign applicants, who comprise in the case of computer science four-fifths of all doctoral students.

At the fringes of the US administration, there is talk of expelling Chinese nationals from the United States.

China's the future superpower. We had a chance to maintain that type of singular power before Bush/Cheney came into office, but that's when the U.S. didn't just stumble. It tripped over its own feet and face planted hard into the dirt. And it took about 8-10 years to get up from that fall, dust ourselves off, and start running again.

Dubbya had a grand opportunity to get the fuck off foreign oil and develop alternative energy on a Manhattan Project scale, but instead we invaded a nation that had nothing to do with 9/11, and destabilized the ME, killing what must be well over a million people by now.

But Trump is gonna make us great again. Bah. I'm outta energy over this shit.

China's the future superpower. We had a chance to maintain that type of singular power before Bush/Cheney came into office, but that's when the U.S. didn't just stumble. It tripped over its own feet and face planted hard into the dirt. And it took about 8-10 years to get up from that fall, dust ourselves off, and start running again.

Dubbya had a grand opportunity to get the fuck off foreign oil and develop alternative energy on a Manhattan Project scale, but instead we invaded a nation that had nothing to do with 9/11, and destabilized the ME, killing what must be well over a million people by now.

But Trump is gonna make us great again. Bah. I'm outta energy over this shit.

Sure, China is about to become an unchallenged superpower, but at least when America becomes a third world country, our rich people will be paying low taxes and our corporations barely regulated[ent]mdash[/ent]much like all the other third world countries.

Back
Top Bottom