• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The End of the Pandemic: When will it happen?

We spend too much time fretting about the unvaccinated. We need to get back to our lives. They will either develop natural immunity or Darwin will take care of them.

I'm not convinced people are fretting about virus. SoFi stadium packed with people, nary a mask in sight.
That is why I declared that the pandemic will end on 1 Feb. 2022 and be recognized as just another endemic disease we have to live with. The authorities want to continue feeding the fear but the general public have had enough of the fear and are beginning to live their lives again.

the best thing that could happen for the future of humanity is that enough conservatives die of COVID in the next few years that republicans functionally lose political power - preferably forever, but maybe even just 40 or 50 years would be enough to make some kind of progress in possibly saving civilization as we know it.

Hopefully Fauci is working on a virus that will do just that (y)

The End of the Pandemic: When will it happen?​

If you are leaving the decision to me then I declare that the pandemic will end on 1 Feb. 2022. At that time it will become an endemic disease like the seasonal flu or common cold that we will just have to live with.
This would be a lot easier if everyone was vaccinated and hospitalization totals were less than a tenth of what they are (were).

Of course, if everyone got vaccinated and there were 1500 people hospitalized, the anti-vaxxers would whine about that, "Why bother to get vaccinated when thousands are in the hospital?!"
We spend too much time fretting about the unvaccinated. We need to get back to our lives. They will either develop natural immunity or Darwin will take care of them.
IMG_6635.JPG

This "we need to get back to our lives" argument is the dumbest, least compelling 'argument' in the history of bad arguments.

We're never getting our lives back. Absent a means to totally eradicate Covid-19, the world has undergone a permanent change.

No amount of nostalgia will change this.

What we need is to continue to take appropriate steps to protect vulnerable people from a deadly disease. This will be an ongoing process, and how intrusive it is into our daily lives is dependent on how many needless deaths we are happy to tolerate (a number that is apparently very large for some, as long as they feel comfortable that it won't include them or their immediate families); And on how widely we adopt measures such as vaccination (which are fairly unintrusive but need almost universal uptake), rather than measures such as distancing, mask wearing, and quarantine, which are more intrusive but necessary where vaccination uptake is below the required level for herd immunity.

So if we decide it's "over" when we abandon masks, distancing, and quarantine, but don't see large numbers of needless fatalities, it will be over when we (almost) all get vaccinated on a regular schedule.

If we decide it's "over" because we stop giving much of a crap about a fair number of people dying each year, with occasional 'bad years' when loads of people die, then it will be over very soon, at the cost of our accepting that we are a bunch of cruel and evil cunts who are happy to kill a bunch of strangers as the price of avoiding a few annoying inconveniences in our daily lives.

In the past, humans have almost invariably accepted that cost; There's not much evidence that we have become significantly less cruel or evil, despite the development of technologies that could let us do so.

Seems to be reports popping up of places lifting restrictions entirely. Denmark, and a few provinces in Canada.

Not that this is necessarily the right decision, but decisions that are being made.

That is why I declared that the pandemic will end on 1 Feb. 2022 and be recognized as just another endemic disease we have to live with. The authorities want to continue feeding the fear but the general public have had enough of the fear and are beginning to live their lives again.

I think it may take a little bit longer for the authoritarians to release their grip. I heard on the radio this morning in California restrictions will be lifted based on the number of people in the ICU being below 2,500 for seven straight days or something along those lines. It's ridiculous and arbitrary.

I think it may take a little bit longer for the authoritarians to release their grip. I heard on the radio this morning in California restrictions will be lifted based on the number of people in the ICU being below 2,500 for seven straight days or something along those lines. It's ridiculous and arbitrary.

It's ridiculous to base the restrictions on how badly the healthcare system is crashing??

It's ridiculous to base the restrictions on how badly the healthcare system is crashing??
Of course it is. Restrictions should be based on how loudly idiots are clamouring for their freedumb.

Because not having to do what anyone else says is a cornerstone of civilisation, like not having to tidy your bedroom, or ask your parents before going to a party on a school night.

If only enough people would roll their eyes, stamp their feet, slam their bedroom doors, and loudly proclaim that it's all so unfair, we could have seen a complete end to all restrictions ages ago.

Back
Top Bottom