• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Eulogy for the Right Rev. Clementa Pinckney Delivered by President Barack Obama, June 26, 2015

A self professed christian delivered the eulogy of a Methodist minister in one of the oldest most historic churches in the country to that minister's congregation, and the problem is that the eulogy mentioned god too much?

Pray tell just what should the president have said to the widow and orphans and mourning congregants?

:lol: pretty much what I was wondering, too

I generally gag at the gratuitous mentions of 'god' (like the purchase offer I received today that included a note that the buyer is praying to god her offer is accepted over everyone else's :rolleyes: ) but I'm not sure how anyone can expect the eulogy for a minister in his church to not be filled with god and grace. :p When I attended the catholic funeral for the mother of my neighbor, I suspected I would hear a lot about god. I guessed correctly ;)

A self professed christian delivered the eulogy of a Methodist minister in one of the oldest most historic churches in the country to that minister's congregation, and the problem is that the eulogy mentioned god too much?

Pray tell just what should the president have said to the widow and orphans and mourning congregants?

I generally gag at the gratuitous mentions of 'god' (like the purchase offer I received today that included a note that the buyer is praying to god her offer is accepted over everyone else's :rolleyes: ) but I'm not sure how anyone can expect the eulogy for a minister in his church to not be filled with god and grace. :p When I attended the catholic funeral for the mother of my neighbor, I suspected I would hear a lot about god. I guessed correctly ;)

It doesn't make it any less grotesque. Catholic funerals are the worst.

But again, you're missing the point. It's perfectly fine to discuss Christian tradition when eulogizing a Methodist minister, and to tie it with political tradition when said minister is also a state senator. And this is especially true when said minister is murdered in church by some white supremacist terrorist who was yapping about how black people are "raping our women". There's centuries of history involved here. And that has to be acknowledged, whether you believe in a god or not - and I personally don't.

But again, you're missing the point. It's perfectly fine to discuss Christian tradition when eulogizing a Methodist minister, and to tie it with political tradition when said minister is also a state senator. And this is especially true when said minister is murdered in church by some white supremacist terrorist who was yapping about how black people are "raping our women". There's centuries of history involved here. And that has to be acknowledged, whether you believe in a god or not - and I personally don't.

I don't disagree. I'm just reporting my personal reaction to the speech.

So... it was moving, appropriate and inspiring.

That's it. Suspend your atheism for a sec, this is a funeral. If the beliefs involved are utter BS, it's beyond the point.

I don't disagree. I'm just reporting my personal reaction to the speech.

Well, okay, there's not much to say to that.

Personally, I loved it.

All right, all right, all right, it was in a church, it shows the Prez's mastery of public speaking, BUT it isn't the masterpiece of reflection and rhetoric that Maddow et al. have implied it was. No one's gonna be quoting the Campus Crusade for Christ-level apologetics that are the core of the doctrine he expressed.

Back
Top Bottom