• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The evils of political correctness.

If this is the case then the issue is employment law.

Whether there might be an issue with PC would have to be demonstrated but you're basically saying that we cannot expect courts to rule on this particular aspect of the case. So, it's a catch 22 situation. Which leaves employment law as the only issue until a court could possibly look at a PC motive.

This issue with regards to PC is the fact that these statements are controversial at all. In particular, the evidence about population-level differences in the "Things vs. People" dichotomy is particularly strong with respect to prenatal testosterone exposure:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166361/

Note this relationship is born out when you look at differences between *and within* sex groups.

But you haven't established that this is a PC issue at all. Google's stated motive is "portions of the memo violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace." How would that be a PC issue at all?
EB

Because the codes of conduct themselves are PC!

You've just lost me here. I don't care for naked assertions.

Here is the part of the Code which seems to me is relevant and, personally, I don't see any PC-ness in there. And it's very well written, sharp and to the point and there's no room for any PC bias in there.

Google's Code of Conduct said:
https://abc.xyz/investor/other/google-code-of-conduct.html

II. Support Each Other

We are committed to a supportive work environment, where employees have the opportunity to reach their fullest potential. Googlers are expected to do their utmost to create a workplace culture that is free of harassment, intimidation, bias, and unlawful discrimination.

Please read the Employee Handbook relevant to your locale. Located in the HR section of our internal corporate site, the Handbook covers in greater detail how we should conduct ourselves at work.

1. Equal Opportunity Employment

Employment here is based solely upon individual merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. We strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy status, sex, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by law. We also make all reasonable accommodations to meet our obligations under laws protecting the rights of the disabled.

It's one thing to have a code of conduct that prohibits harassment, but essentially Google is prohibiting any dissent from the social constructionist position

Again a naked assertion. I'm not interested. Sorry.

The rest is irrelevant. The code makes no mention of social constructionism as such so your assertion can only be based on your personal interpretation and system of beliefs.

You also argue from third party positions and pronouncements. Who cares? How could that be relevant to Google and its Code?
EB

A good lawyer should be able to tease out in court the clear distinction you're making here between Google's "harmful gender stereotypes" and what you call "non-controversial and widely accepted findings in psychology and biology about gender differences".

If you're correct, this guy can start to count the money.
EB

Think there's no binding arbitration agreement??

I don't think so.

I seem to remember reading somewhere the guy was considering the possibility of going to court.

And, unlike what many have said on here, he's not saying women are inferior. He's saying that they are much less likely to have the sort of mind that is what Google is looking for. That says nothing about the abilities of the ones that do have the right sort of mind.

Ok. Good.

Still, probably irrelevant.

Suppose you're trying to build a pro basketball team. Will anyone be surprised if you end up with more blacks than Asians? Blacks are on average slightly taller, by the time you're at the very end of the tail this translates into the very tallest being disproportionately black. Asians are on average slightly shorter--again, what is of no importance in the middle of the curve becomes a big difference at the tail. This says nothing about their merits beyond getting past the gate of being tall enough.

That's irrelevant. Google gave a motive and it's very solid since it is based on its Code of Conduct (see my previous post). So, any example that doesn't involve Google's Code would be irrelevant, and so is your basketball team example.
EB

If this is the case then the issue is employment law.

Whether there might be an issue with PC would have to be demonstrated but you're basically saying that we cannot expect courts to rule on this particular aspect of the case. So, it's a catch 22 situation. Which leaves employment law as the only issue until a court could possibly look at a PC motive.

This issue with regards to PC is the fact that these statements are controversial at all. In particular, the evidence about population-level differences in the "Things vs. People" dichotomy is particularly strong with respect to prenatal testosterone exposure:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166361/

Note this relationship is born out when you look at differences between *and within* sex groups.

But you haven't established that this is a PC issue at all. Google's stated motive is "portions of the memo violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace." How would that be a PC issue at all?
EB

Because the codes of conduct themselves are PC!

You've just lost me here. I don't care for naked assertions.

Here is the part of the Code which seems to me is relevant and, personally, I don't see any PC-ness in there. And it's very well written, sharp and to the point and there's no room for any PC bias in there.

Google's Code of Conduct said:
https://abc.xyz/investor/other/google-code-of-conduct.html

II. Support Each Other

We are committed to a supportive work environment, where employees have the opportunity to reach their fullest potential. Googlers are expected to do their utmost to create a workplace culture that is free of harassment, intimidation, bias, and unlawful discrimination.

Please read the Employee Handbook relevant to your locale. Located in the HR section of our internal corporate site, the Handbook covers in greater detail how we should conduct ourselves at work.

1. Equal Opportunity Employment

Employment here is based solely upon individual merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. We strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy status, sex, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by law. We also make all reasonable accommodations to meet our obligations under laws protecting the rights of the disabled.

It's one thing to have a code of conduct that prohibits harassment, but essentially Google is prohibiting any dissent from the social constructionist position

Again a naked assertion. I'm not interested. Sorry.

The rest is irrelevant. The code makes no mention of social constructionism as such so your assertion can only be based on your personal interpretation and system of beliefs.

You also argue from third party positions and pronouncements. Who cares? How could that be relevant to Google and its Code?
EB

I really can't tell if you are being purposefully obtuse or not, but as implied by the quoted section, they are claiming the memo amounted to "harassment, intimidation, bias, and unlawful discrimination.". What I've been arguing is that the memo doesn't amount to these things, the part of my post you've decided to ignore and leave undressed. And those assertions categorically do not rely on my personal interpretation and system of beliefs, rather, those assertions are all couched in the relevant, empirical, psychological and biological literature.

So do you accept what I've stated about the memo? Because in that case, they are claiming that making non-controversial propositions about psychological and biological phenomena and discussing how they might impact the demographics of hiring amount to "harassment, intimidation, bias, and unlawful discrimination" and that is precisely what is meant by PC!

Or do you disagree, in which case, I would be glad to address the contents of the memo. Because that is the crux of the matter.

So, instead of merely dismissing things as "bald assertions," perhaps we could actually engage in that discussion. Because as far as I can tell, you are the only one making a bald assertion: you are asserting that Google has said that the memo violated the their terms of conduct, and ipso facto, this memo actually amounts to harassment, bias, discrimination.

Imagine if a Google manager fired a redhead because they hate redheads. If the manager then stated, "the employee was fired because they violated the code of conduct", then presumably you would ask why, and not just take the claim at face-value, and declare that they have a solid reason, and there is no room for anti-redhead bias in the code of conduct.

As an aside, the guy was considering a law-suite, but all of what I've read points to that being a fool's errand. Some speculate that the only way he would have a chance is by invoking a California law that prohibits people from being fired for participating in political movements, but that is a long shot. In any event, the code of conduct is irrelevant: Google is under no obligation to justify that claim, or show that the employee actually violated the code of conduct. Again, the is America, not France.

Unless anyone missed it the point of the Google engineers memo was about how to attract more women to engineering. The goal with the memo was to get more women chose the career. His suggestion was to not ignore biology.

The PC outcry is just that. Reactions to trigger-words rather than anything intelligent.

I really can't tell if you are being purposefully obtuse or not, but as implied by the quoted section, they are claiming the memo amounted to "harassment, intimidation, bias, and unlawful discrimination.". What I've been arguing is that the memo doesn't amount to these things, the part of my post you've decided to ignore and leave undressed. And those assertions categorically do not rely on my personal interpretation and system of beliefs, rather, those assertions are all couched in the relevant, empirical, psychological and biological literature.

This is irrelevant.

The first part of the extract of the Code I quoted, i.e. the two paragraphs immediately after the 'Support Each Other' headline, is irrelevant to this case. I included it in my quote because it says there is an 'Employee Handbook' which might be relevant.

Your interpretation based on the first of these two paragraphs that "they are claiming the memo amounted to 'harassment, intimidation, bias, and unlawful discrimination' is therefore unjustified.

Further, the wording of the paragraph, "we are committed", "Googlers are expected to do their utmost", shows it's an introduction to what follows. It's not actionable in itself. It can't provide the necessary formal basis for what they say they reproach to this guy.

So do you accept what I've stated about the memo? Because in that case, they are claiming that making non-controversial propositions about psychological and biological phenomena and discussing how they might impact the demographics of hiring amount to "harassment, intimidation, bias, and unlawful discrimination" and that is precisely what is meant by PC!

Or do you disagree, in which case, I would be glad to address the contents of the memo. Because that is the crux of the matter.

There's no point discussing the memo as long as you keep misconstruing Google's position. You cannot usefully assess the contents of the memo relatively to Google's position until you understand this position.

For now, you haven't shown you do.

So, instead of merely dismissing things as "bald assertions," perhaps we could actually engage in that discussion. Because as far as I can tell, you are the only one making a bald assertion: you are asserting that Google has said that the memo violated the their terms of conduct, and ipso facto, this memo actually amounts to harassment, bias, discrimination.

This is a misrepresentation of what I said.

It's a fact that Google's position is that this guy somehow violated they Code. That is no "bald assertion" on my part. You are just being ridiculous.

Second, as explained above, Google is not claiming harassment, bias, or discrimination. You interpreted in this way the extract of the code I provided but your interpretation is flawed. And I certainly didn't asserted, baldly or not that the memo amounted to harassment, bias or discrimination.

Imagine if a Google manager fired a redhead because they hate redheads. If the manager then stated, "the employee was fired because they violated the code of conduct", then presumably you would ask why, and not just take the claim at face-value, and declare that they have a solid reason, and there is no room for anti-redhead bias in the code of conduct.

But I didn't take Google's claim at face value. You sure have some serious understanding issue, Sir.

My position all along was that I didn't have evidence that Google's position was motivated by PC.

And I asked you to justify your position that it was and so far you've been unable to do that so I will stick to my position for now.

As an aside, the guy was considering a law-suite, but all of what I've read points to that being a fool's errand. Some speculate that the only way he would have a chance is by invoking a California law that prohibits people from being fired for participating in political movements, but that is a long shot.

It's not Google making American law. You get your target wrong.

In any event, the code of conduct is irrelevant: Google is under no obligation to justify that claim, or show that the employee actually violated the code of conduct. Again, the is America, not France.

Oh yes the Google's Code is relevant. Google justified dismissing this guy on the ground that he had violated its Code of Conduct. How could this Code not be relevant to the question of whether Google's posture is or isn't motivated by PC.

What doesn't seem relevant to this question now is California law since apparently there won't be any court to look into the issue.

Ok, I think we can stop here. We don't need to go any further than that. I can see we're not going anywhere and very fast. Your logic is faulty, you manage to get even simple facts of the case wrong, and you grossly and repeatedly misrepresented my position, wilfully or not doesn't matter.

I'm not here to teach you how to read and how to argue properly.
EB

Unless anyone missed it the point of the Google engineers memo was about how to attract more women to engineering. The goal with the memo was to get more women chose the career. His suggestion was to not ignore biology.

The PC outcry is just that. Reactions to trigger-words rather than anything intelligent.

And how that would be relevant to the fact that Google dismissed this guy on the ground he violated its Code of Conduct?
EB

It's a fact that Google's position is that this guy somehow violated they Code. That is no "bald assertion" on my part. You are just being ridiculous.
And where did I deny this? No one, as far as I know, is denying that Google claims that the memo violated it's code of conduct. You are the one who stated "That's irrelevant. Google gave a motive and it's very solid since it is based on its Code of Conduct (see my previous post)." You've merely baldly asserted that the memo did indeed violate the code of conduct: "Google's stated motive is "portions of the memo violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace." How would that be a PC issue at all?"

How do you square this with your claim that:
Second, as explained above, Google is not claiming harassment, bias, or discrimination. You interpreted in this way the extract of the code I provided but your interpretation is flawed. And I certainly didn't asserted, baldly or not that the memo amounted to harassment, bias or discrimination.

You did. Right there. You stated that Google's claim was *solid* that the memo was "advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace."

But I didn't take Google's claim at face value. You sure have some serious understanding issue, Sir.

My position all along was that I didn't have evidence that Google's position was motivated by PC.

And I asked you to justify your position that it was and so far you've been unable to do that so I will stick to my position for now.
I have repleatedly tried to engage in a conversation as to why the memo does *not amount* to anything that would violate the code of conduct, particularly, advancing gender stereotypes. You are the one who has simply refused to engage on that point - the crux of the matter.

As an aside, the guy was considering a law-suite, but all of what I've read points to that being a fool's errand. Some speculate that the only way he would have a chance is by invoking a California law that prohibits people from being fired for participating in political movements, but that is a long shot.

I have pretty consistently argued against American labor laws, but that is orthogonal to the point of whether or not Google fired this guy over PC reasons. Again, the issue which you continuously refuse to engage.

It is possible for the proposition that Google fired the employee for PC reasons, and that the US has bad labor laws, to be true. Indeed, I think both of those propositions are, in fact, true.

In any event, the code of conduct is irrelevant: Google is under no obligation to justify that claim, or show that the employee actually violated the code of conduct. Again, the is America, not France.

Oh yes the Google's Code is relevant. Google justified dismissing this guy on the ground that he had violated its Code of Conduct. How could this Code not be relevant to the question of whether Google's posture is or isn't motivated by PC.
Because the code of conduct could be based on PC, or could have been interpreted through a politically correct lens. Again, this all falls to the matter of the actual contents of the memo which you continuously refuse to engage, and how they could be amount to a reasonable reason to fire someone that isn't motivated by political correctness.

Ok, I think we can stop here. We don't need to go any further than that. I can see we're not going anywhere and very fast. Your logic is faulty, you manage to get even simple facts of the case wrong, and you grossly and repeatedly misrepresented my position, wilfully or not doesn't matter.

EB

You are consistently dodging and plainly refusing to engage in any discussion. Please spare me your supercilious claims to have to teach me to read or argue properly. But OK, let's suppose I am an idiot - then a simple statement that summarizes why the memo violated the code of conduct, and why the code of conduct or the interpretation of the code is not PC, should be easy enough to produce.

Speakpigeon said:

And where did I deny this? No one, as far as I know, is denying that Google claims that the memo violated it's code of conduct. You are the one who stated "That's irrelevant. Google gave a motive and it's very solid since it is based on its Code of Conduct (see my previous post)." You've merely baldly asserted that the memo did indeed violate the code of conduct: "Google's stated motive is "portions of the memo violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace." How would that be a PC issue at all?"

How do you square this with your claim that:

You did. Right there. You stated that Google's claim was *solid* that the memo was "advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace."

No, you just don't understand English. To say that a motive is "solid" doesn't mean it's necessarily true or that you believe it's true. It means you just can't dismiss it out of hand, that you have to find very good and convincing arguments to the effect that their stated motive is somehow spurious.

Something you haven't done so far.

I have repleatedly tried to engage in a conversation as to why the memo does *not amount* to anything that would violate the code of conduct, particularly, advancing gender stereotypes. You are the one who has simply refused to engage on that point - the crux of the matter.

I have pretty consistently argued against American labor laws, but that is orthogonal to the point of whether or not Google fired this guy over PC reasons. Again, the issue which you continuously refuse to engage.

It is possible for the proposition that Google fired the employee for PC reasons, and that the US has bad labor laws, to be true. Indeed, I think both of those propositions are, in fact, true.

Because the code of conduct could be based on PC, or could have been interpreted through a politically correct lens. Again, this all falls to the matter of the actual contents of the memo which you continuously refuse to engage, and how they could be amount to a reasonable reason to fire someone that isn't motivated by political correctness.

EB

You are consistently dodging and plainly refusing to engage in any discussion. Please spare me your supercilious claims to have to teach me to read or argue properly. But OK, let's suppose I am an idiot - then a simple statement that summarizes why the memo violated the code of conduct, and why the code of conduct or the interpretation of the code is not PC, should be easy enough to produce.

You are the one making a definite claim, that Google's real motive for firing this guy was PC. I asked you to justify your position and so far you haven't. Instead, you've repeatedly misrepresented my position and Google's stated position.

I haven't seen anything that could conclusively show that Google's real motive is indeed their publicly stated motive that this guy violated their Code of Conduct. Yet, I haven't seen anything showing the opposite either. Again, you're the one making a claim, a very serious allegation in fact, but you seem unable to argue your case. The main reason seems to be that you can't read English properly. You seem to choose to read into other people's pronouncements whatever your preconceptions suggest. So, I suggest you step back to take the time to look carefully at my quote of Google's Code of Conduct and then try to see if it's indeed not good enough to conclude that this guy's memo did violate what the code says. But you can't do that if you don't understand what the code does say. To do that, perhaps you need to discover the use of seeing things from the other guy's perspective, in this case, Google's. If you can't do that, there's no point arguing. Were not here discussing the merit or otherwise of PC. We're discussing whether the evidence we have does allow us to conclude that Google's stated motive is spurious as you claimed. Me, I just don't know and I have no indication yet that you do.
EB

Here's some evidence of PC craziness. A google engineer has been fired for making a very thoughtful and reasoned argument on-line that differences in gender pay gap may be down to biological factors.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40845288

Here's what he wrote. All perfectly sensible things.

http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-the-full-10-page-anti-diversity-screed-1797564320

Keep in mind that this guy is an engineer. Not a manager. He's just a regular dude. It's extremely hard to get a job at Google. So I feel really bad for him. We want people far down on the career ladder to feel empowered and speak their mind. This is so bad in so many ways. This isn't how a free society works.

Sorry, but if you're not smart enough to know not to comment on the Emperor's attire you're not smart enough to work at Google.
I agree, but the guy did not think he would be fired. I understand his boringly obvious complaint about emperor's attire was prompted by attending mandatory feminism oriented reeducation classes.

For example, transgender-rights activists argue that transgenderism is a true condition, that transgender women with male sexual genitalia and XY chromosomes, for example, have brains that are more "wired like a woman's" in the sense that their gender expression is like a woman's. Keep in mind these sorts of people are usually the most fervent social constructionists around, but the whole idea that transgenderism is an actual phenomenon is inconsistent with the idea that gender is a mere social construction!
I remember bringing up transgender argument in one of the threads on this very forum. It shut the whole discussion down rather well :)
I mean, if you read this guy's memo it is hardly a "screed", and it doesn't argue that women are inherently unfit to be software engineers
Well. to be fair, what if science determines that in a completely fair and merit based system men should outnumber women in math heavy part of IT field 100 to 1, would it not be to kinda say that women are inherently unfit for the field? The probable fact is, women are comparatively (to men) more fit to "woman" nuclear subs and fighter jets than to do heavy math. Of course average male can't do heavy math to begin with. So this whole storm in a bottle is about tiny tail of the distribution which just happened to be populated by men.

And how that would be relevant to the fact that Google dismissed this guy on the ground he violated its Code of Conduct?
EB

How exactly did be violate the code of conduct?

this whole storm in a bottle is about tiny tail of the distribution which just happened to be populated by men.

Or it is about a slice of the male population who, like some posters around here, can't stomach that women work the same jobs as them and have decided that the story with Google was a clear case of discrimination against good men and PC gone mad.

It's so moving.
EB

EB

I wouldn't know and I don't even know whether this guy violated Google's Code in the first place.

My point never was that Google did no wrong but that I couldn't tell based on the evidence available right now.

But since it appears that no court is going to look into this dispute, it seems no one will get to sort out the merit of the allegations made against Google.

Yet, Google's stated motive is unambiguous and you only have to read the Code of Conduct and this guy's memo to see if you can argue that Google's real motive was PC. What's stopping you?

What strikes me, though, is that here you have this bunch of people making allegations against Google who can't even articulate properly what are the ground on which they make them.
EB

this whole storm in a bottle is about tiny tail of the distribution which just happened to be populated by men.

Or it is about a slice of the male population who, like some posters around here, can't stomach that women work the same jobs as them and have decided that the story with Google was a clear case of discrimination against good men and PC gone mad.

It's so moving.
EB

I have absolutely no problem with women working the same jobs. I just recognize very few women have the right sort of mind for it.

Here's a woman who had an enlightening moment about the difference:

https://pilotonline.com/opinion/col...cle_91580e75-2ea0-5502-bd2f-5f56f2783253.html

https://pilotonline.com/opinion/col...cle_91580e75-2ea0-5502-bd2f-5f56f2783253.html
Well explained

No, the reason I left is that I came into work one Monday morning and joined the guys at our work table, and one of them said, “What did you do this weekend?”

I was in the throes of a brief, doomed romance. I had attended a concert that Saturday night. I answered the question with an account of both. The guys stared blankly. Then silence. Then one of them said: “I built a fiber-channel network in my basement,” and our co-workers fell all over themselves asking him to describe every step in loving detail.

At that moment I realized that fundamentally, these are not my people. I liked the work. But I was never going to like it enough to blow a weekend doing more of it for free. Which meant that I was never going to be as good at that job as the guys around me.
That's an apt conclusion.
The mob reaction did prove that women indeed have some power in tech. But the power to fire people is not why most people get into engineering. Good engineers want to make things. The conversation around Damore’s memo hasn’t made the world a better place, as they say in Silicon Valley. It has just made a lot of people angry

It's so moving.
EB
You are wrong.

I wouldn't know and I don't even know whether this guy violated Google's Code in the first place.

My point never was that Google did no wrong but that I couldn't tell based on the evidence available right now.

But since it appears that no court is going to look into this dispute, it seems no one will get to sort out the merit of the allegations made against Google.

Yet, Google's stated motive is unambiguous and you only have to read the Code of Conduct and this guy's memo to see if you can argue that Google's real motive was PC. What's stopping you?

What strikes me, though, is that here you have this bunch of people making allegations against Google who can't even articulate properly what are the ground on which they make them.
EB

Here it is. I can't see he violated anything here:

https://sites.google.com/a/email.vccs.edu/bus100mawan/google-code-of-ethics

On the contrary, Google is famously open and encouraging of their employees to speak their mind freely. It's very hard to get a job at Google. Everybody who works there is smart. I know that for a fact because I know several people who have gotten jobs there and know how they hire people.

Google enouraged this man to speak his mind until it went viral and then they fucked him up the ass because of caving into PC pressure.

I'll say it again, he didn't say anything inflamatory. A shallow and stupid interpretation of his post made people angry. They didn't care about what he really was saying. They just wanted to be angry and hate a bit.

So, we won't get any uncontroversial resolution to the issue essentially because apparently this guy has no recourse in law.

Instead, all we have is a bunch of guys who certainly appear all worked up but can't get themselves to articulate what could pass for a decent and proper legal assessment of the pros and cons.

Maybe someone could challenge Google to provide a more detailed and explicit version of their motive to sack him. Ultimately, only they know why they did. Maybe consumer pressure could get them to be more forthcoming.
EB

It's so moving.
EB

I have absolutely no problem with women working the same jobs. I just recognize very few women have the right sort of mind for it.

Oh, you "just recognise". Must be true then.

You'd have to do much better than that, Dear.

Anecdotal evidence.

You really don't seem to take the proper measure of the issue.
EB

Back
Top Bottom