• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The FIFA Football World Cup 2018

France had a bit of luck in the 1st half with those calls (not bad calls, but they could have just as easily gone in favor of Croatia), but they showed their mettle and skill in the 2nd half. Croatia put on a good fight, but France deserved the victory.

France deserved the victory.

Yes, it was their turn.

The French had to wait for the Croats to tire out. It took quite while. Longer than I thought it would. Longer than for the Belgians. Still, Paul Pogba could score the winner at the 59th followed 6 minutes later by one more by Mbappe. It was all written in the sky. Still, the Croats tried some after that. What is it these people have for breakfast? I want the same!
EB

Sports are filled with jingoism and idiocy everywhere. You could drive yourself crazy taking the politics of the players and teams too seriously.

If you think all jingoism is equally bad everywhere, I would invite you to read more about the recent history of the former Yugoslavian republics and the process by which they split apart.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it was their turn.

The French had to wait for the Croats to tire out. It took quite while. Longer than I thought it would. Longer than for the Belgians. Still, Paul Pogba could score the winner at the 59th followed 6 minutes later by one more by Mbappe. It was all written in the sky. Still, the Croats tried some after that. What is it these people have for breakfast? I want the same!
EB

Blame Mexico for that.

Mexico inspired a lot of third-tier teams like USA to focus more on physical conditioning as a way of compensating for other flaws. It's starting to spread up the chain to the nations with inherently better soccer teams.

Yes, it was their turn.

EB

Have you seen the Croatian president? I'd play myself to death for her too! :p

640_Croatian-President-Thumb_2016_01_03_12_57_45.jpg

France were worthy winners but a couple of their goals were conjured up via controversial circumstances. Griezmann took a dive, earning the free kick that resulted in a goal. The penalty award to France was down to VAR, not so sure it was a penalty but overall, France looked the better side. Alexi Lalas has to be the most insufferable prick on TV. Can't stand the man.

And England proved yet again, they are not very good as Belgium just went through the motions.

:eek: @ Croatian president!

Croatia looked really good for the first 10-15 minutes or so, while France didn't seem like they were quite in the game yet. If France hadn't gotten it together, I suspect Croatia would have won. A good game though, I thought.

France were worthy winners but a couple of their goals were conjured up via controversial circumstances. Griezmann took a dive, earning the free kick that resulted in a goal. The penalty award to France was down to VAR, not so sure it was a penalty but overall, France looked the better side. Alexi Lalas has to be the most insufferable prick on TV. Can't stand the man.

And England proved yet again, they are not very good as Belgium just went through the motions.
Enough on the hand ball. The player's hand tracked downward towards the ball's motion. It has to be called.

And yeah, England isn't Belgium. No one said they were.

Enough on the hand ball. The player's hand tracked downward towards the ball's motion. It has to be called.
No, it didn't. It is a matter of opinion whether the motion was deliberate (the standard in the Laws of the Game) or an accident. A no-call was a reasonable outcome as well.

The Croatia coach said "We were a bit unlucky. Maybe in the first six games we were favoured by luck and today we weren't." which I think is a fair assessment.

The accidental self goal didn't help Croatia's cause either. Could have lowered their confidence somewhat. But in reality, the French were still full of run while the Croats slowed to a walk in the second half.

France were worthy winners but a couple of their goals were conjured up via controversial circumstances. Griezmann took a dive, earning the free kick that resulted in a goal. The penalty award to France was down to VAR, not so sure it was a penalty but overall, France looked the better side.

Well, that's what makes the call controversial, not everyone agrees.

And yeah, England isn't Belgium. No one said they were.

Weird thing to say.

Yes, it was their turn.

EB

Blame Mexico for that.

Mexico inspired a lot of third-tier teams like USA to focus more on physical conditioning as a way of compensating for other flaws. It's starting to spread up the chain to the nations with inherently better soccer teams.

I guess it's a fair point as to the general trend but I'm not sure it applies specifically to the Croatian squad. I suspect it's more to do with the recent history in the region and perhaps the lack of opportunities in the country. Just an impression, though.

That being said, I agree, all teams are getting more athletic and more professional about it. Yet, I'm not sure any country started it. I think it's a general trend in sport. Just look at rugby, players are trying their best impersonation of Hulk. If anyone in particular started it, I'd say it's rugby and perhaps then the All Blacks or Australia. Although, the original sin can only be that of the Americans in all professional sports.

Still, football is protected somewhat because it's a technical game and it's even now becoming somewhat like chess: Someone has to do a lot of thinking to beat the other squad.
EB

Yes, it was their turn.

EB

Have you seen the Croatian president? I'd play myself to death for her too! :p

View attachment 16594

Nah, not impressed. Look at our President!

Président Macron.jpg

Now, that's somebody to die for! :D
EB

Back
Top Bottom