• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The God Zoo

No probs. We can call you the Topic Man. Only Highlighting the verses... so others (if they choose) can discuss them in depth etc..

Nice one!
:)

(watch out for Charlie..I think he wants that role too ;))

Do you deny what the verses tell you?

Are you arguing that they don't really say what is there for anyone to see and read?

To me it appears like you are trying your best to avoid dealing with what the verses clearly state, that God creates evil, that God creates the evildoer for the day of Evil, that God creates people 'fitted for destruction,' that God is responsible for evil.

That is confirmed right at the beginning in the way Adam and Eve were set up and treated.

Who's denying the verses? I accept them AND I am willing to discuss them, couldn't you tell?

Dumping verses, sometimes all at once with-out in-depth explanation which are not arguments, is fine but to address them individually is a bit of slow-down for quick responses (at least in my case being slow-mo).

And so... it clearly states what? The bigger picture? It certainly doesn't state context, to which there could be many... one to each group of relating verses!

Last edited:
Who's denying the verses? I accept them AND I am willing to discuss them, couldn't you tell?

Dumping verses, sometimes all at once with-out in-depth explanation which are not arguments, is fine but to address them individually is a bit of slow-down for quick responses (at least in my case being slow-mo).

And so... it clearly states what? The bigger picture? It certainly doesn't state context, to which there could be many... one to each group of relating verses!

To say 'dumping verses' is a cop out. I gave examples of verses that state that God is responsible for the existence of evil in the world.

You are not discussing what the verses say. You quoted verses telling us that God is good and holy....which rather than address the issue of God creating evil, just presents a contradiction.

You have done nothing to address what the verses say, that God creates evil, that God creates the evildoer for the day of Evil and those who are 'fitted for destruction, ie, that God is responsible for evil in the world.

The 'bigger picture' doesn't change what the verses say. The big picture reinforces their message that God is responsible for evil in the world.

You say that context matters but provide nothing to show that context transforms the meaning of the verses I quoted.

To say 'dumping verses' is a cop out. I gave examples of verses that state that God is responsible for the existence of evil in the world.

You are not discussing what the verses say. You quoted verses telling us that God is good and holy....which rather than address the issue of God creating evil, just presents a contradiction.

Sorry about that, I borrowed the term from Mike Winger when he refuted Aaron Ra's argument ... who has a lack of wanting to "understand" any context of the bible i.e. "dumping" multiple verses, i.e. the method that seemngly "adds weight" to his argument,.. as Mike Winger says, a lazy method (mostly) without looking into the verses he just brings up... without debating on the merits of what the writings are trying to portray... so that he could be able REFUTE it! A habit it seems for some.

Well I did try and make an attempt post #30 at least (you may have missed it). Besides its a contradiction if, as M.Winger points out ... you use methods similar to Aaron Ra's lazy method appoach.

You have done nothing to address what the verses say, that God creates evil, that God creates the evildoer for the day of Evil and those who are 'fitted for destruction, ie, that God is responsible for evil in the world.

You are particular about words that's written in bible you seem to say, however the bit in bold isn't there and may give the wrong impressionn and lead to erroneous understanding. I accept what God said in Genesis. He regrets making man and allowing the world to continue on for evil to manifest -It doesn't last but thats another topic. I agree here ...there'd be no evil, if there was no creation.

The 'bigger picture' doesn't change what the verses say. The big picture reinforces their message that God is responsible for evil in the world.

You say that context matters but provide nothing to show that context transforms the meaning of the verses I quoted.

Well the bigger picture is important. It depends on what your argument portrays for example: Policemen do kill people or ... a man is sent to die by lethal injection etc. & etc. (best I could think of at mo). What argument/refutation are you making... IF you don't know/have the context?

Last edited:
Isaiah 45:7
“I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

What does it mean?

When there's light there's (opposite to) darkness - When there's peace there's (opposite to) war and calamity maybe? The use of the word "Evil" in translation, having some logical context.

the word Evil in the very verse:

Strong's 7451 ... : adj 1) bad, evil 1a) bad, disagreeable, malignant 1b) bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery) 1c) evil, displeasing 1d) bad (of its kind-land, water, etc) 1e) bad (of value) 1f) worse than, worst (comparison) 1g) sad, unhappy 1h) evil (hurtful) 1i) bad, unkind (vicious in disposition) 1j) bad, evil, wicked (ethically) 1j1) in general, of persons, of thoughts 1j2) deeds, actions n m 2) evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity 2a) evil, distress, adversity 2b) evil, injury, wrong 2c) evil (ethical) n f 3) evil, misery, distress, injury 3a) evil, misery, distress 3b) evil, injury, wrong 3c) evil (ethical)

Light and darkness gives the context, but I suppose to your argument, it would be a little clearer if it were written as:

"I formed light AND darkness: I make peace AND evil.... and so on (even though peace and evil don't match in conventional word pairing opposites, imo).

or

“I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create WAR: I the LORD do all these things”.... maybe.

or

“I form the light, and create darkness: I make GOOD, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

or..

lets just leave it as it was. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think Learner is asserting that his god does in fact create evil but only for the purpose of accomplishing good. It must be like a criminal pleading that his murder was necessary to accomplish xyz....

His god killed almost everything alive on the planet in the big floodie, for example, and of course that was an evil act but it was an absolutely necessary evil act made holy because it was carried out in order to accomplish a greater good. Shades or Nuremberg.

It's interesting for me only because it reveals how some brains operate. Unfortunately we can't go in there and make a simple logic change to the program or change the code. Maybe that day will come.

I think Learner is asserting that his god does in fact create evil but only for the purpose of accomplishing good. It must be like a criminal pleading that his murder was necessary to accomplish xyz....

His god killed almost everything alive on the planet in the big floodie, for example, and of course that was an evil act but it was an absolutely necessary evil act made holy because it was carried out in order to accomplish a greater good. Shades or Nuremberg.

How ever way you put it ... I am asserting/ assuming you actually DO get the understanding that GOD is the ALMIGHTY ... at least with the theology for the sake of discussion.

It's interesting for me only because it reveals how some brains operate. Unfortunately we can't go in there and make a simple logic change to the program or change the code. Maybe that day will come.

You may have to ponder on the thought oneday and make sure yourself, if that code you function under doesn't need altering. A little doubt, deep in the back of your mind may grow into a worry, the world was not what you thought it was.

Sorry about that, I borrowed the term from Mike Winger when he refuted Aaron Ra's argument ... who has a lack of wanting to "understand" any context of the bible i.e. "dumping" multiple verses, i.e. the method that seemngly "adds weight" to his argument,.. as Mike Winger says, a lazy method (mostly) without looking into the verses he just brings up... without debating on the merits of what the writings are trying to portray... so that he could be able REFUTE it! A habit it seems for some.

Well I did try and make an attempt post #30 at least (you may have missed it). Besides its a contradiction if, as M.Winger points out ... you use methods similar to Aaron Ra's lazy method appoach.

You are particular about words that's written in bible you seem to say, however the bit in bold isn't there and may give the wrong impressionn and lead to erroneous understanding. I accept what God said in Genesis. He regrets making man and allowing the world to continue on for evil to manifest -It doesn't last but thats another topic. I agree here ...there'd be no evil, if there was no creation.

Well the bigger picture is important. It depends on what your argument portrays for example: Policemen do kill people or ... a man is sent to die by lethal injection etc. & etc. (best I could think of at mo). What argument/refutation are you making... IF you don't know/have the context?

Nothing you have said to date deals with the quoted verses ...that God creates evil, the evildoer for the day of Evil and those fitted for destruction. Please focus on the issue of what the verses say.

Nothing you have said to date deals with the quoted verses ...that God creates evil, the evildoer for the day of Evil and those fitted for destruction. Please focus on the issue of what the verses say.

I am assuming you are taking from verses like proverbs 16:4. Can you see the other related verses? It means to me that God makes USE of the wicked to His advantage. He didn't make them evildoers first because the other verses in context (hating the word now) tell you not to be an evildoer but be Righteous etc & etc.

Proverbs 16 King James Version (KJV)

16 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord.

2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the Lord weigheth the spirits.

3 Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.

4 The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

7 When a man's ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.

8 Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.

9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.

10 A divine sentence is in the lips of the king: his mouth transgresseth not in judgment.

11 A just weight and balance are the Lord's: all the weights of the bag are his work.

12 It is an abomination to kings to commit wickedness: for the throne is established by righteousness.

13 Righteous lips are the delight of kings; and they love him that speaketh right.

14 The wrath of a king is as messengers of death: but a wise man will pacify it.

15 In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain.

16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

17 The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul.

18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

19 Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

20 He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.

21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

22 Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.

23 The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.

24 Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

26 He that laboureth laboureth for himself; for his mouth craveth it of him.

27 An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.

28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.

29 A violent man enticeth his neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good.

30 He shutteth his eyes to devise froward things: moving his lips he bringeth evil to pass.

31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.

33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.

1 out of 33 you makes your argument somehow.

Are you arguing that because the Nazis made the trains run on time we should cut them some slack when it comes to antisemitism and mass murder?

If I'm married for 33 years but only commit acts of murder, cheat on my spouse, molest children, commit incest for one of those years then I'm okay and all is forgiven? That's a pretty low standard for a god, let alone a human being.

God created adjectives. Evil is simply an adjective. #ontology

A university professor challenged his students with this question.
Did God create everything that exists?
A student bravely replied, “Yes, he did!”

“God created everything? The professor asked.
“Yes sir”, the student replied.

The professor answered, “If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists.

Another student raised his hand and said, “Can I ask you a question professor?”
“Of course”, replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, “Professor, does cold exist?”
“What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?”, answered the professor.

The young man replied, “In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created the word "cold" to describe how we feel if we have no heat.”

The student continued, “Professor, does darkness exist?”

The professor responded, “Of course it does.”

The student replied, “Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton’s prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn’t this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present.”

Finally the young man asked the professor, “Sir, does evil exist?”

I am assuming you are taking from verses like proverbs 16:4. Can you see the other related verses? It means to me that God makes USE of the wicked to His advantage. He didn't make them evildoers first because the other verses in context (hating the word now) tell you not to be an evildoer but be Righteous etc & etc.

Proverbs 16 King James Version (KJV)

16 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord.

2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the Lord weigheth the spirits.

3 Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.

4 The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

7 When a man's ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.

8 Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.

9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.

10 A divine sentence is in the lips of the king: his mouth transgresseth not in judgment.

11 A just weight and balance are the Lord's: all the weights of the bag are his work.

12 It is an abomination to kings to commit wickedness: for the throne is established by righteousness.

13 Righteous lips are the delight of kings; and they love him that speaketh right.

14 The wrath of a king is as messengers of death: but a wise man will pacify it.

15 In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain.

16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

17 The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul.

18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

19 Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

20 He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.

21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

22 Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.

23 The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.

24 Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

26 He that laboureth laboureth for himself; for his mouth craveth it of him.

27 An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.

28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.

29 A violent man enticeth his neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good.

30 He shutteth his eyes to devise froward things: moving his lips he bringeth evil to pass.

31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.

33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.

That there are verses telling us that God is Love: merciful, kind, etc, does not justify God creating evil. It just presents a contradiction.

We have a contradiction between a God of Love and mercy and a vicious, vindictive warlike God.

We have two different pictures being painted of God, incompatible pictures that present us with a logical contradiction, a contradiction that does nothing to resolve the issue of God deliberately and knowingly creating evil.

A university professor challenged his students with this question.
Did God create everything that exists?
A student bravely replied, “Yes, he did!”

“God created everything? The professor asked.
“Yes sir”, the student replied.

The professor answered, “If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists.

Another student raised his hand and said, “Can I ask you a question professor?”
“Of course”, replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, “Professor, does cold exist?”
“What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?”, answered the professor.

The young man replied, “In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created the word "cold" to describe how we feel if we have no heat.”

The student continued, “Professor, does darkness exist?”

The professor responded, “Of course it does.”

The student replied, “Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton’s prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn’t this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present.”

It doesn't matter what anyone believes, the bible defines its own terms in relation to the nature, values and attributes of God and Love....yet these very same values and attributes are contradicted by the action of God deliberately creating evil.

From the analogies, I guess we're to understand there are degrees of God. Maybe, in the middle range, God has lost excitation and is vibrating slower, and that's what humans describe with the subjective terms "good" and "evil". There's a bit more of God ("good") here, and a bit less of God ("good") there... depending on, whatever.

From the analogies, I guess we're to understand there are degrees of God. Maybe, in the middle range, God has lost excitation and is vibrating slower, and that's what humans describe with the subjective terms "good" and "evil". There's a bit more of God ("good") here, and a bit less of God ("good") there... depending on, whatever.

The god was power, absolute power. Whether the god was good or evil was nothing short of moot.

Are you arguing that because the Nazis made the trains run on time we should cut them some slack when it comes to antisemitism and mass murder?

Its good to take note of "new" model perspectives of working brains (your field of interest). Is the above really a proportionate "1 out of 33"?

If I'm married for 33 years but only commit acts of murder, cheat on my spouse, molest children, commit incest for one of those years then I'm okay and all is forgiven? That's a pretty low standard for a god, let alone a human being.

I don't agree with the analogeous comparisons i.e. that God is evil at all, let alone as you describe yourself in the above :thinking:.

But anyway ... who says 'all' will be forgiven? You would more likely be catagorized as a reprobate... be rejected by God!
Woe unto the murderers, child killers and sacrificers!

Last edited:
The contradiction:

God is love. - 1 John 4:8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'' 1 Corinthians 13;

1) Love is patient, love is kind - as opposed to - He is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. Joshua 24:19

2) It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. - as opposed to - "The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". Isaiah 42:13

3) Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs - as opposed to - Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them. Ezekiel 8:18

4) Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth - as opposed to - Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" (Amos 3:6)

5) It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres - as opposed to - Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? (Lamentations 3:38) Whatever the Lord pleases, He does, In heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps. (Psalm 135:6)

That there are verses telling us that God is Love: merciful, kind, etc, does not justify God creating evil. It just presents a contradiction.

Well its not a contradiction to a theist. Besides what do YOU think the cause of the contradiction is...why is it there? Would you/did you account for any plausible probable approach... using the skeptic mind, wondering from an interest curiosity, whether the God narrative is meant to be portrayed by the authors as: an All-Loving God, a not-so All-Loving God,or pure-evil-god maybe due to being a grammatical error or that translations into English had mistakes made by scribes/ interpreters or they just left those parts to confuse you? How do you understand it?

Of course you don't need to believe the story to look into a little more detail as for example you didn't really explain, if at all, why there is the "contradiction" to which could add a little more weight imo....maybe with a little effort.... other than just bringing up verses,
No context no concept no argument.

(theists are still studying, investigating and moving on)

We have a contradiction between a God of Love and mercy and a vicious, vindictive warlike God.

What do you mean? Is there a contradiction if a nation goes to war against terrorists or drug lords for the love of its people?

We have two different pictures being painted of God, incompatible pictures that present us with a logical contradiction, a contradiction that does nothing to resolve the issue of God deliberately and knowingly creating evil.

Two different pictures yes. One is yours and one is mine and thats it really.

Last edited:

Isn’t this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present.”

What a cute little story. Now, evil is not a matter of light and darkness. This little tale is about analogy.
Evil can be of two types. Evil by commission and evil by omission. A God that is all powerful, all knowing, omniscient, wise and knowledgeable has no excuse for either. And we have sub-goodnesses of God to consider. fair, just, compassionate, merciful.

As I pointed out, God must design our moral nature to create us. Evil will exist if God chooses a bad or indifferent moral nature for man when god creates man. Free will is impossible. And a God that creates all and is essentially omniscient, must choose that initial state of creation that will determine all that follows. These are not analogies. These are merely taking Christian theological claims about God to their logical conclusions. and we must consider the dogma of god's simplicity. god is not made of metaphysical parts. Pre-suppositionalism. logic, math, and all abstract objects (a philosophical term of art) are God's creation. Descartes, taking this to its logical conclusion claimed God created math and logic. god could make 2 + 2 = 8 if God so desired. Then God could easily create us all with a God-like good nature and a God-like free will so mankind freely chooses never choose to do moral evil. since God can have any state of existence God desires, a perfectly good God would create a world without moral evil. Either God does not exist, or does not care about us or is evil. Original sin causes evil? Why not by fiat ban original sin on day one? If such a beast really exists.

All this points to one thing. The alleged perfectly good, all powerful God of the Grand theologies and Grand Religions does not exist. Analogies and cutsie stories does not save God. We have God's failure of omission and commission here. There is more, but this should be enough for now.

Well its not a contradiction to a theist. Besides what do YOU think the cause of the contradiction is...why is it there? Would you/did you account for any plausible probable approach... using the skeptic mind, wondering from an interest curiosity, whether the God narrative is meant to be portrayed by the authors as: an All-Loving God, a not-so All-Loving God,or pure-evil-god maybe due to being a grammatical error or that translations into English had mistakes made by scribes/ interpreters or they just left those parts to confuse you? How do you understand it?

Of course you don't need to believe the story to look into a little more detail as for example you didn't really explain, if at all, why there is the "contradiction" to which could add a little more weight imo....maybe with a little effort.... other than just bringing up verses,
No context no concept no argument.

(theists are still studying, investigating and moving on)

What do you mean? Is there a contradiction if a nation goes to war against terrorists or drug lords for the love of its people?

Two different pictures yes. One is yours and one is mine and thats it really.

Based on what you say, you don't appear to understand the nature of a contradiction.

That presented with two incompatible claims or propositions, if one is true the other must be false, both cannot be true. Both, of course, can be false.

Nor does this issue have anything remotely to do with going to war to fight oppression or evil. This is about the bible telling us that God creates evil on the one hand, but on the other is He is a God of Love that does not create evil....which is clearly a contradiction.

I suspect that you do understand but are unwilling to face the implications, which given the nature of faith is understandable.

Back
Top Bottom