• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The GOP: Integrity Defined

Colonel Sanders

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
For a few moments that didn't smell like a fresh dog turd, the GOP actually seemed to be on the verge of standing its ground against Donald Trump as their Presidential representative. They seemed ready to concede this election so as not to have this self-promoting, anti-intellectual, appealing to lower than what was believed to be the lowest common denominator further sully their collective name. Among the most vehement about this was Lindsey Graham. But now, the man who said
He’s a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot.

And:

He doesn’t represent my party. He doesn’t represent the values that the men and women who wear the uniform are fighting for.I’d rather lose without Donald Trump than try to win with with him.

And:

I wish he would leave the party. I don’t care if he runs as an independent. If we lose the 2016 election, so be it.”

Is now saying this:

“I’ve said all along that I would support the nominee of the party”

That's among other things. Suffice it to say that Lindsey has come around to now being a Trump supporter.

What are Graham's supporters to make of this? What should anyone make of something like this?

Or should no one be surprised at all?

The only prominent Republican left who seems to be publicly deriding Trump is Mitt Romney, and if anyone here ever visits conservative forums, you already know that he's earned a special hatred from many conservatives for losing to Obama. If the GOP was an ancient tribe of hunter gatherers they would have allowed the children to hunt Mitt down and eat him for breakfast in order to exorcise the evil that the wayward Old Father had brought down upon them.

So maybe that's it. Maybe Graham saw what's happened to Romney and decided he didn't want to be eaten alive.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lindsey-graham-support-donald-trump-000000481.html

It isn't unusual for harsh words to be spoken against a candidate, only to walk it back and endorse them once they are the nominee (or even become the VP on the ticket!). However, "race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot" seems a bridge too far to walk it back to "I’ve said all along that I would support the nominee of the party".

At this point, who, other than Hillary Clinton, would this Party not support? A George Wallace?

I think is is amusing, in a horrifying sort of way, that the "pledge" the GOP made Trump take is biting the rest of them in the ass now that he is the presumptive nominee. They were so damned afraid he'd make a third-party run...

It isn't unusual for harsh words to be spoken against a candidate, only to walk it back and endorse them once they are the nominee (or even become the VP on the ticket!). However, "race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot" seems a bridge too far to walk it back to "I’ve said all along that I would support the nominee of the party".

At this point, who, other than Hillary Clinton, would this Party not support? A George Wallace?

Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking. It's one thing to criticize a party opponent's policies, but Graham held nothing back and spoke with such great resoluteness that he was beyond walking it back. But then when one remembers that W. got re-elected in 2004 when it was known that the reasons for Iraq had been a complete fabrication (plus all the surreal fiascos that had occurred by that time) and well, I guess this maybe is small potatoes.

Or should no one be surprised at all?
nobody should be surprised by this, because this is just the inherent nature of the GOP biting it in the ass.
for my entire lifetime (i won't presume to speak before then) the GOP's fundamental message has been: "hey! race-baiting xenophobic gay hating religious nutbags! look over here! lookit us! we're the people for you! we're the party of boot-strapping queer bashing jesus fellating so bring your pickup truck and your welfare check on over to our polling station" - which had an underlying hypocrisy about it because the GOP itself is just a bunch of stodgy political insiders with a raging corporation boner who really don't care about anything except maintaining a plutocracy; the rest was all just political theater.

trump is nothing more than a distillation of the true GOP message, and the reason they're so paranoid about him is he is their message without being part of their insider's club, which is why he's hijacked their nominee process.

They seemed ready to concede this election so as not to have this self-promoting, anti-intellectual, appealing to lower than what was believed to be the lowest common denominator further sully their collective name.

And if he is elected, he _will_ sully their name. Oh, so horribly.

(I remain optimistic that the nation has more reason than the congress and he will not get elected)

I wonder how many of them will say tepid things and then vote for Clinton in the booth...

Back
Top Bottom