• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Intelligence of Vultures

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I have always loved vultures. I enjoy watching them gliding across the sky. I think they are very cool looking too. I call them the clean up crew as they effectively clean up road kill and other dead animals in forests etc. They are very important to the environment, but until I read the article I'm going to gift, I didn't realize how intelligent they are or sadly how many are in danger of extinction.

If you're a bird lover like I am, please enjoy the article, along with the photos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/12/...e_code=1.AE0.nUpa.aCi6-L_WqIYw&smid=url-share

Thank you for the gifted article. I really enjoyed it. I started 'birding' in the late 90s and keep a bird list, and I get (and share) your love of vultures. I've even been lucky enough to see a California condor in the wild a couple times. It's hard to believe that some of them are endangered when there are some species that are so ubiquitous (at least through the USA). :(

We have turkey vultures here. Amazing HUMONGOUS birds. They make it very easy to spot a deer kill from miles away. Occasionally the coyotes will bring down a deer nearby enough that we can track the disappearance of the carcass. The vultures make VERY fast work of the soft tissues, and the coyotes (and other critters) then scatter the bones. Within 18 months there is barely a trace. A few years ago our rancher neighbor put a cow down, and left it to rot near a trail where I sometimes ride. In less than 2 years that entire 1200+lb animal was gone like it never existed! Per the article “Turkey vultures probably have the best sense of smell of any animal that’s ever existed,” - I believe it! Doesn't take more than a few hours for them to locate and get to work on carrion.

Thanks for the read, SH!

Thank you for the gifted article. I really enjoyed it. I started 'birding' in the late 90s and keep a bird list, and I get (and share) your love of vultures. I've even been lucky enough to see a California condor in the wild a couple times. It's hard to believe that some of them are endangered when there are some species that are so ubiquitous (at least through the USA). :(
I'm glad you enjoyed the article, sadly, we humans are the ones who are endangering the vulture population. I tend to think that in many ways, humans are the stupidest, most careless, dangerous species on the planet. Humans fuck up, and then the better humans try to come in and clean up the mess.

For example:

For all their importance to the smooth running of nature’s threshing machine, vultures themselves are being mowed under at an alarming rate. Sixteen of the 23 vulture species are listed by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature as threatened or endangered, four of them critically.

Among the biggest menaces to vultures today, experts said, is poisoning, both incidental and intentional. Wherever there is conflict between people and carnivores, vultures often end up as collateral damage. The standard scenario is this: Farmers who lose livestock to predators like lions or hyenas will fight back by setting out a carcass laced with pesticides. But while the lion may return and take the bait, Dr. Kendall said, “30, 40, 50 vultures will come in and also die.”

Or many more: In the last few years, single poisoned carcasses have led to the deaths of over 1,000 hooded vultures in Guinea-Bissau, and close to 800 in Botswana. In Mendoza, Argentina, in 2018, 34 Andean condors died after feeding on a poisoned carcass. “This could be 10 percent of the condor population in that area,” said Sergio Lambertucci, who studies condors at Argentine Research Council and the National University of Comahue.

By far the most devastating case of accidental vulture slaughter took place in India in the 1990s, when tens of millions of vultures died after feeding on the carcasses of cattle that had been treated with diclofenac, an anti-inflammatory drug. By the time experts figured out what was happening, the Indian vulture population had collapsed by more than 99 percent. Hard-hit species like the white-rumped, long-billed and slender-billed vultures may never recover.

Scientists and conservationists are working fiercely to stem vulture declines, through community outreach and education; negotiating with government officials, farmers, ranchers, anybody who lives in the vicinity of vultures and has clout; basic research and captive breeding programs to keep vulture stocks going. Captive-bred animals are rarely released into their natural environment, but Ms. Kottyan, of the Maryland Zoo, has some hope for the descendants of Shredder and Kenya.

“If we can tackle all the problems that lappet-faced vultures now face in the wild,” she said, “maybe we can get some of our birds back out there, too.”

We have turkey vultures here. Amazing HUMONGOUS birds. They make it very easy to spot a deer kill from miles away. Occasionally the coyotes will bring down a deer nearby enough that we can track the disappearance of the carcass. The vultures make VERY fast work of the soft tissues, and the coyotes (and other critters) then scatter the bones. Within 18 months there is barely a trace. A few years ago our rancher neighbor put a cow down, and left it to rot near a trail where I sometimes ride. In less than 2 years that entire 1200+lb animal was gone like it never existed! Per the article “Turkey vultures probably have the best sense of smell of any animal that’s ever existed,” - I believe it! Doesn't take more than a few hours for them to locate and get to work on carrion.

Thanks for the read, SH!
I am trying to share more articles about nature and of course dogs, as a break from you know who. I looked it up and found out that we have both turkey and black vultures here in Georgia. I'll add a link, as I just learned that black vultures not only eat carrion, they sometimes kill small prey. I've seen lots of vultures in my neighborhood. I am always happy to see them cleaning up the road and enjoying a tasty meal. Evolution is awesome!

https://birdwatchinghq.com/vultures-in-georgia/

I was driving through central Ohio last year -- through a region of flat, harvested fields, which meant you could see a long distance on either side of the road. Ahead, on the right, and maybe one hundred yards into a field, I saw a circle of turkey vultures huddled around some carcass. I didn't see movement -- they looked like they were meditating, but I really think they were waiting for one of the group to make an alpha move and claim some part of the goods. I kept an eye on them as long as I could but ultimately lost them in my rear-view mirror. I would've loved to have stopped and watched to see how the buffet line finally got going, but then again, my stopping might have disturbed them. I'll have to read up on competitive eating among vultures. I've seen it plenty with our local seagulls -- they get very boisterous and strut about with their heads settled dangerously low on their necks, like small-time hoods. They fight dirty, too. I've never seen vultures fight, so there must be some hierarchal system that they act on. Do they defer to size? Gender?
The vultures made an ominous sight in their circle, with their bulk, their bowed postures, and their dark, dingy feathers -- for some reason, they looked like the Supreme Court; at least, that's the metaphor that struck me as I drove up abreast of them.

I’ve watched them going to town on a deer carcass, and there did seem to be a rotation. A bird or two would fly off and another one or two would land. Ten or so feasted at a time, eating fast but not snapping at each other that I could tell.

Back
Top Bottom