• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The James Webb Space Telescope

Webb's first "proper" images will start arriving in 41 days from now (July 12, 2022). For those who are interested I suggest you bookmark NASA's countdown page.

This set of images tracks the improvement of IR telescopes.

plneqgm84sw81.jpg

The last one is a teaser of what is to come once the JWST runs on full throttle and delivers high resolution images after the data have been processed down here.
Seems curious to me that the resolution of the middle and right image increases as the wavelength (?) decreases but the left image with the lowest wavelength has the worst resolution.
Wavelengths have no bearing on resolution. I don't know why the creator of this image comparison bothered citing them. They are totally irrelevant.

Webb's first "proper" images will start arriving in 41 days from now (July 12, 2022). For those who are interested I suggest you bookmark NASA's countdown page.

plneqgm84sw81.jpg

The last one is a teaser of what is to come once the JWST runs on full throttle and delivers high resolution images after the data have been processed down here.
Seems curious to me that the resolution of the middle and right image increases as the wavelength (?) decreases but the left image with the lowest wavelength has the worst resolution.
Wavelengths have no bearing on resolution. I don't know why the creator of this image comparison bothered citing them. They are totally irrelevant.
Zero is a slight underestimate. Resolution is affected by wavelength, but not enough to detect in this context. /nitpick

plneqgm84sw81.jpg

The wavelengths shown was just information of the wavelength the image was taken at, not accrediting that to the resolution. The difference in resolution is primarily due to the diameter of the primary reflector. The Wise has a 40cm reflector, Spitzer an 85cm reflector, and the JWST a 650cm reflector.

Last edited:
First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope | NASA
Warning about the images: the colors are false colors, assigned to different wavelength bands of infrared light.

The galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 is about 4.6 billion light-years away, meaning that we see it at the time that the Solar System formed. The field of view on that image is described as the angular size of a grain of sand at arm's length, or about 1 mm / 1 m or 10-3 radian or 3.4 minutes of arc, close to human visual resoluti
About WASP-96's planet,
WASP-96 b is one of more than 5,000 confirmed exoplanets in the Milky Way. Located roughly 1,150 light-years away in the southern-sky constellation Phoenix, it represents a type of gas giant that has no direct analog in our solar system. With a mass less than half that of Jupiter and a diameter 1.2 times greater, WASP-96 b is much puffier than any planet orbiting our Sun. And with a temperature greater than 1000°F, it is significantly hotter. WASP-96 b orbits extremely close to its Sun-like star, just one-ninth of the distance between Mercury and the Sun, completing one circuit every 3½ Earth-days.

The combination of large size, short orbital period, puffy atmosphere, and lack of contaminating light from objects nearby in the sky makes WASP-96 b an ideal target for atmospheric observations.

On June 21, Webb’s Near-Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph (NIRISS) measured light from the WASP-96 system for 6.4 hours as the planet moved across the star. The result is a light curve showing the overall dimming of starlight during the transit, and a transmission spectrum revealing the brightness change of individual wavelengths of infrared light between 0.6 and 2.8 microns.

While the light curve confirms properties of the planet that had already been determined from other observations – the existence, size, and orbit of the planet – the transmission spectrum reveals previously hidden details of the atmosphere: the unambiguous signature of water, indications of haze, and evidence of clouds that were thought not to exist based on prior observations.
TEPCat: WASP-96 -- that star is much like the Sun, and its planet, b, orbits very close to it: distance 0.045 AU, period 3.425 days, equilibrium temperature 1300 K, hot enough to glow in visible light.

So given that there are 41,253 square degrees in the sky (something I had to just look up)....

the 3.4x3.4 arcminute picture is 0.00321 square degrees.

Meaning that there could be about 12.8 million more pictures like this to make a full survey.

This is good video to send to laymen like me...

Laymen love exclamation marks. You need at least four on the title page, or nobody will bother to watch. :rolleyesa:

Seriously, the world would be dramatically improved if we eliminated any and all media whose title has a 2:1 (or lower) ratio of words to exclamation marks.

Nothing is that exciting.

Laymen love exclamation marks. You need at least four on the title page, or nobody will bother to watch. :rolleyesa:

Seriously, the world would be dramatically improved if we eliminated any and all media whose title has a 2:1 (or lower) ratio of words to exclamation marks.

Now, now Bilby the great unwashed do need direction and guidance. With exclamation marks we send them where we wish them to go.

Ah, take it easy now. At least they are denoting stellar distances in light years, and not in how many football field lengths away they are. :)

DId any of you watch it?

I am most excited by his high pedigree ears!

Back
Top Bottom