• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The "me-ness" of being me

If you continue to think of "me" as only referring to the content of your existence, then you will not be able to make sense of the claim that everyone is me. But the "me" that people invoke when they say "I will be at work tomorrow" is not a statement about content. If it were, then a clone with their exact content could be substituted in their place tomorrow without negating the proposition being made. This is absurd

You're completely wrong here.

As for all the words we use, in all languages, the meaning of "me" comes from usage, i.e. from the linguistic, essentially spoken, everyday communication between millions of people through the centuries. Words have therefore a social, collective value. They have a social, collective function. When I use "you" and "me", it's to make the distinction between two very, very particular and cohesive, even integrated, sets of things. We think of these things as so particular, so cohesive, and so integrated, that we think of them as absolutely unique, not just here and now, but for all times, present and future. There was not other me ever and won't be any other me ever again. Enjoy while it's still there!

Contrary to what you say here, I couldn't possibly talk of a clone of myself as being me. And if I was in a position where I would see no difference between me and somebody else, it would be because I would not be able to remember or feel anything at all about myself. I wouldn't be able even to think anything about myself, let alone some clone.

when someone says "I will be at work tomorrow", they do not just mean "a human being with a certain DNA sequence, brain wiring, and historical background will be at work tomorrow"--they are making the ADDITIONAL statement of "that human being will be me."

When I say I will be at work tomorrow, I express the belief that something unique is preserved in me through time, between now and tomorrow. We all believe there is continuity between the person we are now and the person we will be tomorrow. That's what the "me" pronoun conveys. It conveys uniqueness. It's the same person. Not just an identical person. The same person. In the case of a clone, if it was even possible to have an exact copy of anybody, there would be no continuity between the person and the clone. So, a clone won't ever be me, even if it could be an exact copy, which is not even a physical possibility.
EB

EB, in the last few posts you have uncannily managed to interpret everything I have said in the exact opposite manner of the way I intended it. I feel I am just not getting across to you and we should probably stop.

when someone says "I will be at work tomorrow", they do not just mean "a human being with a certain DNA sequence, brain wiring, and historical background will be at work tomorrow"--they are making the ADDITIONAL statement of "that human being will be me."

When I say I will be at work tomorrow, I express the belief that something unique is preserved in me through time, between now and tomorrow. We all believe there is continuity between the person we are now and the person we will be tomorrow. That's what the "me" pronoun conveys. It conveys uniqueness. It's the same person. Not just an identical person. The same person. In the case of a clone, if it was even possible to have an exact copy of anybody, there would be no continuity between the person and the clone. So, a clone won't ever be me, even if it could be an exact copy, which is not even a physical possibility.
EB

It's the continuity. Things exist because they survive, which implies that there is a continuity.

EB, in the last few posts you have uncannily managed to interpret everything I have said in the exact opposite manner of the way I intended it. I feel I am just not getting across to you and we should probably stop.

Good enough for me.
EB

EB

It's the continuity. Things exist because they survive, which implies that there is a continuity.

Yes. And that's why we see it as meaningful to ascribe responsibilities to individuals, to make plans for our personal future, to conceive of such a thing as the personal identity of an individual human being. Nothing would make sense without it.
EB

Yes. And that's why we see it as meaningful to ascribe responsibilities to individuals, to make plans for our personal future, to conceive of such a thing as the personal identity of an individual human being. Nothing would make sense without it.
EB

It's positively metaphysical! (I think I'm having a how-could-it-be-otherwise moment.)

EB

We can easily track an individual organism and its survival through time and space, nobody is denying that. The question is how do you determine which organism is you? Do you consult information about their whereabouts and personal biographies to find that special continuity of qualities that only you can have? No; you look inward and determine what experiences are yours based on the quality of immediacy they possess. Universalism is a reminder that all experience has this quality, and although from the perspective of each organism your window of experience appears to be the totality of your experience, this cannot be true if all experience has the requisite quality necessary to make it yours. In other words, continuity has nothing to do with what is you and what is not. Continuity comes and goes, mentally when we sleep, as well as physically in a host of thought experiments that demonstrate swapping any of your physical parts, changing their configuration, or splitting and rejoining the hemispheres of your brain makes no difference in the end to what you call you.

For all you know, there could be a gap of a billion years between your experience of reading this word and this word, as your brain could be hooked up to electrodes that provide the exact stimulation conditions to represent your sensation of reading, but delivered in pulses separated by eons. You wouldn't know the difference, even if in those intervening billion years your brain was dismantled, replaced with a functionally equivalent computer, or duplicated many times over. It would still just be one continuous experience from your perspective. So we have to abandon notions of physical composition, continuity, and psychological integration as criteria for being an 'object' that is you. All that remains after this purge is a vast sea of experiences, separated from each other in ways no more absolute than the separations that could occur to a single individual, which means they all belong equally to you. You are experiencing reality through all of those perspectives right now, but within each one, only its integrated contents are presented with the immediacy you associate with your experience, so you mistakenly assume that only its isolated packet of experience is yours. That's just an illusion, like going through your whole life only ever seeing one type of car, and thinking that to be a car something must be that exact make, model, and color.

All of this is made much more probable than the prevailing view by the extreme improbability of you finding yourself here at all, given the number of things that had to go in a specific way to make the exact organism you consider to be you emerge in the universe.

EB

Of course, of course. We can still do all those things. Allow me to reiterate: there are distinct organisms, distinct individual consciousnesses, and we shouldn't behave as if there is only one organism or one intelligence. Quoting Zuboff: there are two ways of describing universalism, either there is only one person, or there are many persons and they are all you. Responsibility can be assigned at the level of individual organisms while personal existence and survival remains at the level of conscious beings in general. To return to my analogy, we can evaluate the merits of a new edition of Moby Dick, its typesetting, its binding, the quality of paper, while still recognizing that literature is not just that copy of Moby Dick.

EB

It's positively metaphysical! (I think I'm having a how-could-it-be-otherwise moment.)

I would even say, it's metaphysically positive!

Let's build our first ashram somewhere coool!

We'll eat gojis and goat cheese and invite Pope Francis for tea.
EB

Of course, of course. We can still do all those things. Allow me to reiterate: there are distinct organisms, distinct individual consciousnesses, and we shouldn't behave as if there is only one organism or one intelligence.

Not a chance anybody not insane does that.

Quoting Zuboff: there are two ways of describing universalism, either there is only one person, or there are many persons and they are all you.

But we know it's not true there's only one person and we know other people are no me, so your so-called universalism doesn't make any sense.

Responsibility can be assigned at the level of individual organisms

Not "can". Is. Responsibility is assigned at the level of the individual.

It's just one of those interesting empirical things we happen to know about life.

while personal existence and survival remains at the level of conscious beings in general.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

To return to my analogy, we can evaluate the merits of a new edition of Moby Dick, its typesetting, its binding, the quality of paper, while still recognizing that literature is not just that copy of Moby Dick.

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of that.

We're all human beings and therefore we are supposed to share a number of characteristics. Except that it would be very difficult to name them and to describe what they are, especially as to the contents of our minds.

If we assumed that all human beings properly so-called would possess at the very least minimal (or bare) consciousness, then what all human beings would share would have nothing to do with our ordinary notion of what it is to be a person. How universalism can reconcile this with this with its basic tenet that we are all somehow "me" is beyond the reach of my wits. I would understand saying we're all "that". If we all share some characteristic, then we are all that. Cool. But no way we're all "me".

Now, this is your chance of easily convincing me and I'm handing this opportunity to you on a plate. The basic idea is that we can draw a straightforward and luminous analogy with space. Wherever we may be, we're somewhere in space, and we all say, "I'm here".

Now the luminous analogy is that saying "I'm here" is completely analogous to saying, "It's me".

And then, "there" is analogous to "you", "him", "them", "other people", etc. For example, saying "He's there" is analogous to saying "It's him"; "You are there" is analogous to "It's you"; etc.

Do agree with that so far?

If so, then tell me how you would express universalism using only this spatial terminology.

Over to you. Me, there's nothing more I can do for you.
EB

Speakpigeon said:
But we know it's not true there's only one person and we know other people are no me, so your so-called universalism doesn't make any sense.

If you're going to assume universalism is false in order to demonstrate that it doesn't make any sense, then I don't see the point of trying to convince you otherwise. But...

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of that.

What makes something my experience is its immediacy and subjective quality, not the physical substrate it occurs in.

What makes something literature is the quality of being a written artifact, not the physical substrate it occurs in.

As long as there is something having an experience that is immediate and subjective, that experience is mine and I am that thing.

As long as there is at least one written artifact in existence, that written artifact counts as literature.

This is not an argument for universalism, but a way of framing it in terms of something that is already familiar, already expressed in similar terms to the thing that is being argued for via other means.

Now, this is your chance of easily convincing me and I'm handing this opportunity to you on a plate. The basic idea is that we can draw a straightforward and luminous analogy with space. Wherever we may be, we're somewhere in space, and we all say, "I'm here". That's completely analogous to saying, "It's me". And then, "there" is analogous to "you", "him", "them", "other people", etc. For example, "He is there" is analogous to "It's him"; "You are there" is analogous to "It's you"; etc.

If so, then tell me how you would express universalism using only this spatial terminology.
All of the words you used are token-reflexives. The same information can be conveyed without them. One could conceivably refer to people by name, including when the person talking is the one being referred to. The same goes for location. Instead of saying "here" and "there", just say where here and there actually are, irrespective of the location of the speaker, in absolute terms. Unless you are upholding linguistic trends as unchangeable even in light of new information (which you just flatly assume is false anyway), there isn't any problem.

But if you're committed to token-reflexives, it's still easy to describe both universalism about personal identity and our best theories about space and time. Every spatial location is here from some perspective, every time is now from some perspective, and every person is me from some perspective. Just as there is no privileged here and now, and every place is here when it is experienced and every time is now when it is experienced, every person is me when it is experienced. It's actually a nice way of putting universalism into context, and again, I don't see how you could fail to grasp that unless you have the complete opposite understanding of what is being claimed.

Quoting Zuboff: there are two ways of describing universalism, either there is only one person, or there are many persons and they are all you.
If you're going to assume universalism is false in order to demonstrate that it doesn't make any sense, then I don't see the point of trying to convince you otherwise.

It's just obvious it's not what I did at all. I just started by making explicit what I believe is obvious to all of us and made the obvious inference. I'm quite sure anyone reading that would make up their own mind.

Meanwhile, you fail to address my point that it's obvious to all of us that we're ourselves and not other people.

What makes something my experience is its immediacy and subjective quality, not the physical substrate it occurs in.
What makes something literature is the quality of being a written artifact, not the physical substrate it occurs in.
As long as there is something having an experience that is immediate and subjective, that experience is mine and I am that thing.
As long as there is at least one written artifact in existence, that written artifact counts as literature.
This is not an argument for universalism, but a way of framing it in terms of something that is already familiar, already expressed in similar terms to the thing that is being argued for via other means.

That's definitely not a very helpful as a parallel. First, something having subjective experience is obviously not comparable to something being literature, so we are going to assume that wouldn't be your point here. And it seems to me that your point can only be that the relation between the characteristic of having subjective experience and all human beings is analogous to the relation between literature and all books. Yeah, sure, but that's just trivial. You could say that pretty much about any characteristic shared by many instances of things. I don't think you should feel I need that kind of clarification to understand your point.

I also think this is beside the point. Literature can be understood as a category, i.e. something which, unlike books, exists only within our minds, as part of our representation of the world out there. That's debatable but that's at least how we tend to think of it, simply because there's no universally accepted definition of literature. As such, literature is not analogous to subjective experience, which not only something we know exist as such, but which is one of the two things we really know exist. And I think any convincing argument for universalism would have to start from the very particular quality of subjective experience. You indeed start from that in the quote above but then you immediately drop the ball, switching to a lame argument based on the idea of category.

Now, this is your chance of easily convincing me and I'm handing this opportunity to you on a plate. The basic idea is that we can draw a straightforward and luminous analogy with space. Wherever we may be, we're somewhere in space, and we all say, "I'm here". That's completely analogous to saying, "It's me". And then, "there" is analogous to "you", "him", "them", "other people", etc. For example, "He is there" is analogous to "It's him"; "You are there" is analogous to "It's you"; etc.

All of the words you used are token-reflexives. The same information can be conveyed without them. One could conceivably refer to people by name, including when the person talking is the one being referred to. The same goes for location. Instead of saying "here" and "there", just say where here and there actually are, irrespective of the location of the speaker, in absolute terms.

Sorry, but you'd need to think more carefully about that. I'm sure it's definitely not possible to name every one location with a specific name. We certainly give names to many places, New York, Paris, the Galaxy, the Universe and what not, but this leaves out most places, indeed I could say nearly all places! But that's somewhat beside the point.

The point, which you seem to have missed entirely, is that there is no such a thing as an "absolute location". Contrary to what you just asserted, we are unable to "say where here and there actually are, irrespective of the location of the speaker, in absolute terms". All we can do is give "names" to "places". But giving a name to a place doesn't tell us anything about the location. It doesn't tell us where the place is in absolute terms.

So you'd need to take a closer look at what it is we do. Words like "here" and "there", as well as place names, as just our fall-back option, the best we can do, just to be able to function in this vast world. We're not anywhere near being able to identify the location of any place we know of, except perhaps the universe itself, if we could know that there's nothing else beyond what we think of as our universe.

So, what you are missing here is rather critical. Our use of words like "here" and "there", as well as names for people and places, has precisely nothing absolute to it. It's all relative. We call Paris "Paris", not because we know where it is in any absolute sense, we don't, but because it's good enough to distinguish it from, say, Reims, Bordeaux, Toulouse, or even New York. And words like "here" and "there" have the same characteristic as names for people and places in that they are all relative. Here is relative to there just as Paris is relative first to close-by places like Versailles and Nogent, and then far away places like New York and Moscow. We have to use maps to materialise where places are relative to each other. Nothing absolute in this system. Our brain is too small to use a system with absolute designations.

And so it is for persons. I easily identify myself, i.e. me as me, because it just looks and feels so different from what I can see and feel about other people. It's all relative. And if I couldn't make this distinction, I would be unable to identify myself as myself. Even though I would still have subjective experience. I would be no one even though I would still have subjective experience. The myself would be completely lost. So, I, myself, me, is not subjective experience. Which shows neatly that universalism is not true.

And, in fact, I personally had once the subjective experience of being no none. And indeed, it didn't feel at all like being me. It didn't feel at all like being this thing that we normally call "me".

You think I have failed to understand your point but you've been wrong all along in that, too.

Indeed, I already accepted, as a possibility, that bare consciousness might be exactly the same for all of us if we were to experience it. That in itself wouldn't be enough to infer that consciousness is therefore universal but this also I accepted at least as a possibility.

And then, if bare consciousness is indeed universal, i.e. if it's just one thing, not just identical things but the same one thing for all of us, I still wouldn't want to say that the experience of somebody else is me. Or that I experience somebody else as being me. No, the "I" refers, and can only refer, to myself, i.e. this particular and unique set of biographical data and immediate sensory data like my own smell and how I just feel today (good enough), and indeed whatever I'm thinking about right now. And all that is definitely nothing like being somebody else.
EB

Last edited:
And then, if bare consciousness is indeed universal, i.e. if it's just one thing, not just identical things but the same one thing for all of us, I still wouldn't want to say that the experience of somebody else is me. Or that I experience somebody else as being me. No, the "I" refers, and can only refer, to myself, i.e. this particular and unique set of biographical data and immediate sensory data like my own smell and how I just feel today (good enough), and indeed whatever I'm thinking about right now. And all that is definitely nothing like being somebody else.
EB

I agree Speakpigeon.

Pyramid, there is a simple overlap of what would be shared consciously but all that is unique to the individual wouldn't overlap. Some properties of consciousness are practically undeniably universal (individually identical or shared) and some properties of the consciousness are unique. Even some experiences might be exactly equal for all we know. So a simple Venn diagram would be a circle with separated "mouse ears" for each individual extending past the circle's boundaries.

Universalism does not say that beings with overlapping properties are the same being. It does not say that there is nothing unique about any given individual. It says only that the apparent metaphysical boundaries between individuals are not absolute, which can be shown via thought experiments, and the crucial aspect of your existence that, ultimately, you really care about when you think about your survival in the future is the aspect that survives in each and every case when we dissolve these borders between you and other people.

Zuboff said:
There is no exclusive now centering on one time and no exclusive mine centering on one organism. What I advocate is a demystification of our ideas about personhood and experience. All the occasions of consciousness feel as though they are exclusively mine now. None of them really is exclusively so. There is but one quality of being mine now existing in them all. And the quality of mine and now, as I have already remarked, is really just that quality of immediacy which is present in all experience. Thus personal identity depends on an abstract rather than a detailed type; it depends on this abstract universal of immediacy. I'm not saying that you are this abstract type. I am saying that any being that is capable of experience with immediacy - and hence any being that is capable of any experience at all - has everything it takes to be you.

[...]

Imagine a world in which people have only ever known one object with the color red. Such naive observers might easily fall into thinking that to be red somehow also required having the other particular features of that one red object. Similarly, the universal immediacy of consciousness is only ever experienced within the various limits of particular mental integrations. The one self, though defined by the quality of immediacy alone, always finds itself seemingly bounded by limits of mental activity, by limits of current and remembered experiential contents that happen to come packaged together. Within the reach of one nervous system and the memory it supports lies, seemingly, all the experience that has or has had the intimate quality of being mine. But accepting this suggestion is as clumsy a mistake as thinking that there can be only one red object if only one has been seen. After all, the reach of integration cannot actually make experience mine. Integration can only reveal experience as mine. Recall your experience of the previous sentence. It was yours; it had the required immediacy. But obviously there is also unremembered experience, which is therefore unintegrated with the present content of experience but which nevertheless had the same quality of being yours. Think of the experience of the fifth bite of breakfast 38 days ago. It has little integration with the present content of experience; it has dropped out of memory; but surely it still had all the immediacy that would have made it yours. Much more startlingly, the same is true across the nervous systems of different organisms or, as in cases of aphasia or brain bisection, across non-integrated parts of a single nervous system.

[...]

This analysis of the problem with the usual view suggests yet another argument against it, a generalized version of the earlier brain exchange thought-experiment. which might be called 'the continuum argument'. Imagine that you had been different in just the particularity of one of your atoms, or the character of one memory, or of one gene in one cell. Surely you would not have failed entirely to exist it there had been only some such slight difference in your token or type. But you would also not have been that fraction less in the world. That fractionally different body or mind would not have been a fraction less yours. You would have existed fully in all of it. The quality of being yours would have filled the experience of it. Next imagine there having been a further slight difference, beyond that we just considered. The body or mind with the first slight difference would still have been fully yours. The reasoning, then, must apply exactly as before with this further hypothetical difference. You would have been fully present in that body and mind as well. But then we may apply this same consideration to all the slightly differing bodies and minds that might next be proposed with wider and wider differences in their tokens or types from those of your body and mind as presently constituted. And you, that subject of experience with which we started, would not have failed to be fully present in any of the continuum of all possible bodies and minds, of all conscious beings, which could finally be built from such differences. All their experience would have been fully yours. And so the experience of such actual beings must be fully yours.

As I see it, the only sense I have of being me is whatever complex of data my brain is somehow producing and that I am somehow aware of, i.e. remembered biographical data, present perception, impressions, sensations etc., all of which I understand is local, i.e. local to my body. My interest in myself and my various concerns over my own person, such as freedom from harm, pain and hunger, just to name a few, I understand as a straightforward survival mechanism ultimately produced by the process of evolution of life on Earth. I can't seem to be able to bother that much about something that would be exactly identical to me save for just one atom, or one cell, or one drop of blood. I don't even know exactly what that means. Can't be bothered with something that would be exactly like me. All I seem to be able to care about as far as I am concerned, i.e. as far as this particular me is concerned, is nothing else that the thing I believe will be me in one hour, tomorrow, or in ten years. It's nothing like a thought experiment. It's deep-seated belief with roots well beyond any rational argument or any thought experiment. It's basically the same thing that makes a rat scurry to seek safety in a small hole in the wall. You're not going to be able to argue with this little creature that there's no need to do that. It won't listen.
EB

As I see it, the only sense I have of being me is whatever complex of data my brain is somehow producing and that I am somehow aware of, i.e. remembered biographical data, present perception, impressions, sensations etc., all of which I understand is local, i.e. local to my body.

Those are all contents of your conscious experience, which inform your sense of being in the world as a subject, as you say. But those contents could have been different, and your sense of being in the world would simply be informed by the different contents. Content is therefore not important to this discussion.

My interest in myself and my various concerns over my own person, such as freedom from harm, pain and hunger, just to name a few, I understand as a straightforward survival mechanism ultimately produced by the process of evolution of life on Earth. I can't seem to be able to bother that much about something that would be exactly identical to me save for just one atom, or one cell, or one drop of blood. I don't even know exactly what that means. Can't be bothered with something that would be exactly like me.

But the question is not about something exactly like you save for one atom, it's about whether you would still exist if your body had differed by one atom (or one gene) from what it currently is. The answer is obviously yes.

All I seem to be able to care about as far as I am concerned, i.e. as far as this particular me is concerned, is nothing else that the thing I believe will be me in one hour, tomorrow, or in ten years.

And that is precisely the "me" that universalism claims is not restricted to any given set of conscious content, any specific organism, or any local integration of perception and memory. That "me" is equally present in any and all of those, just as it would be present in non-integrated parts of a single nervous system (due to aphasia or bisection of the corpus callosum) or a single nervous system across those ten years (the experience of eating breakfast on February 5, 2008 versus your experience of reading these words). If you are present in those disparate and non-continuous experiences, you are present in any experience occurring in any substrate.

It's nothing like a thought experiment. It's deep-seated belief with roots well beyond any rational argument or any thought experiment. It's basically the same thing that makes a rat scurry to seek safety in a small hole in the wall. You're not going to be able to argue with this little creature that there's no need to do that. It won't listen.
EB

Zuboff anticipates this objection, and deals with it in the following way:

Zuboff said:
Another source of our mistake is evolution. Sexual reproduction, as opposed to reproduction by division, produces mortal organisms. In those species where such organisms survive through the possession of anything like our motivational system, they face the world with self-interest, tempered by concern for others. Their motives spring from seeing experiences as belonging exclusively to one or another individual subject. Thus future possible pains or pleasures, frustrations or successes, are seen as reasons for present action, either through self-interest or a concern for the self-interest of others. I put food in the refrigerator today for the satisfaction of myself or my family tomorrow. Creatures that regarded their futures otherwise would not be here now — unless, perhaps, a radically different basis of motivation had evolved in them. But nature seems to have taken this individualist path with humans and many other species. That this involves a metaphysical mistake, in regarding mine as exclusive to each organism, as bounded by that organism's complex identity conditions, detracts not at all from the survival value for such organisms of this style of seeing things. Most of their other beliefs have survival value because they tend to be true and are arrived at through discoveries of how things really are. But the view of the subject of experience as bound to an individual organism is a style of seeing things that has a survival value, for the organisms in which it is embodied, that is quite independent of whether the view happens as well to be true. Furthermore, there has been no genuine discovery on which this view could be based. Not just philosophers, but infants and many unthinking animals constantly anticipate at least their immediate futures as a series of experiences into which they, exclusively, are moving. Now, any view that owes its authority in this way to a value it possesses apart from whether it is true has yet to earn the authority of truth before a philosophical tribunal.

[...]

We see ourselves correctly as indivisible. We recognize that our existence, our presence in an experience, is an all-or-nothing proposition. There can be no degrees or indeterminacy in this. For it is seen that the immediacy which marks an experience as mine must be fully in an experience if it is to be there at all. What the ordinary view does not recognize, however, is that this same immediacy must be present equally in all experience regardless of token, type or content, and is only thus truly indivisible and wholly determinate. But the ordinary view tries to make your identity depend as well on certain complex conditions of token, type, and content integration. Unfortunately, these admit of division, differences of degree, and indeterminacy. There is no way to reconcile this complexity with the simplicity of the self.

More accurately, the second paragraph should have started "you see yourself correctly as indivisible," because there is no "we" comprised of separate indivisible subjects of experience.

All I seem to be able to care about as far as I am concerned, i.e. as far as this particular me is concerned, is nothing else that the thing I believe will be me in one hour, tomorrow, or in ten years.

And that is precisely the "me" that universalism claims is not restricted to any given set of conscious content, any specific organism, or any local integration of perception and memory. That "me" is equally present in any and all of those, just as it would be present in non-integrated parts of a single nervous system (due to aphasia or bisection of the corpus callosum) or a single nervous system across those ten years (the experience of eating breakfast on February 5, 2008 versus your experience of reading these words). If you are present in those disparate and non-continuous experiences, you are present in any experience occurring in any substrate.

And I just disagree with calling this "me". I call that "bare consciousness", i.e. consciousness without content, without data, without qualia. As I see it, it's bare consciousness which is common to all of us, even if in fact we normally ever experience consciousness when it comes with content, data, qualia.

As I see it, "me" can only refer to a specific and unique complex of biographical data and perception, sensations, and impressions.

And in fact, remembering that I am a "me" at all is also part of this complex of data. Without data, there's therefore no possibility of any sense of being me. There's only bare consciousness. And in that state of mind, you don't have a sense of being you.
EB

Universalism does not say that beings with overlapping properties are the same being. It does not say that there is nothing unique about any given individual. It says only that the apparent metaphysical boundaries between individuals are not absolute, which can be shown via thought experiments, and the crucial aspect of your existence that, ultimately, you really care about when you think about your survival in the future is the aspect that survives in each and every case when we dissolve these borders between you and other people.

Zuboff said:
There is no exclusive now centering on one time and no exclusive mine centering on one organism. What I advocate is a demystification of our ideas about personhood and experience. All the occasions of consciousness feel as though they are exclusively mine now. None of them really is exclusively so. There is but one quality of being mine now existing in them all. And the quality of mine and now, as I have already remarked, is really just that quality of immediacy which is present in all experience. Thus personal identity depends on an abstract rather than a detailed type; it depends on this abstract universal of immediacy. I'm not saying that you are this abstract type. I am saying that any being that is capable of experience with immediacy - and hence any being that is capable of any experience at all - has everything it takes to be you.

[...]

Imagine a world in which people have only ever known one object with the color red. Such naive observers might easily fall into thinking that to be red somehow also required having the other particular features of that one red object. Similarly, the universal immediacy of consciousness is only ever experienced within the various limits of particular mental integrations. The one self, though defined by the quality of immediacy alone, always finds itself seemingly bounded by limits of mental activity, by limits of current and remembered experiential contents that happen to come packaged together. Within the reach of one nervous system and the memory it supports lies, seemingly, all the experience that has or has had the intimate quality of being mine. But accepting this suggestion is as clumsy a mistake as thinking that there can be only one red object if only one has been seen. After all, the reach of integration cannot actually make experience mine. Integration can only reveal experience as mine. Recall your experience of the previous sentence. It was yours; it had the required immediacy. But obviously there is also unremembered experience, which is therefore unintegrated with the present content of experience but which nevertheless had the same quality of being yours. Think of the experience of the fifth bite of breakfast 38 days ago. It has little integration with the present content of experience; it has dropped out of memory; but surely it still had all the immediacy that would have made it yours. Much more startlingly, the same is true across the nervous systems of different organisms or, as in cases of aphasia or brain bisection, across non-integrated parts of a single nervous system.

[...]

This analysis of the problem with the usual view suggests yet another argument against it, a generalized version of the earlier brain exchange thought-experiment. which might be called 'the continuum argument'. Imagine that you had been different in just the particularity of one of your atoms, or the character of one memory, or of one gene in one cell. Surely you would not have failed entirely to exist it there had been only some such slight difference in your token or type. But you would also not have been that fraction less in the world. That fractionally different body or mind would not have been a fraction less yours. You would have existed fully in all of it. The quality of being yours would have filled the experience of it. Next imagine there having been a further slight difference, beyond that we just considered. The body or mind with the first slight difference would still have been fully yours. The reasoning, then, must apply exactly as before with this further hypothetical difference. You would have been fully present in that body and mind as well. But then we may apply this same consideration to all the slightly differing bodies and minds that might next be proposed with wider and wider differences in their tokens or types from those of your body and mind as presently constituted. And you, that subject of experience with which we started, would not have failed to be fully present in any of the continuum of all possible bodies and minds, of all conscious beings, which could finally be built from such differences. All their experience would have been fully yours. And so the experience of such actual beings must be fully yours.

Well if we go down the road of some aspect of the consciousness being universal, then we might as well call it one consciousness unless there are good reasons not to, but I can't think of any at the moment. It doesn't seem to need to be fixed in time or space even though it may need time or space.

The integrated information theory explains that there is a dimension called the q-space (qualia space) where the qualia/consciousness exists. When certain simple or complex processes exist anywhere in nature, there is a form of consciousness existing in the q-space. It is scientific or can be scientific one day, and explains many of the problems of the consciousness. But admittedly it brings up some problems, so it is not a slam dunk nor is there evidence yet.

Now I am going out on a limb, but I don't see why these certain "processes" responsible for consciousness can't be strictly surjective (where multiple of the same processes can be correlated to just a single qualia form in the q-space).

In fact it would seem that Occam's razor would tell us that if 1 qualia form is sufficient for each kind of process, then we should stop there.

https://youtu.be/7lGanTWFSsE

And I just disagree with calling this "me". I call that "bare consciousness", i.e. consciousness without content, without data, without qualia. As I see it, it's bare consciousness which is common to all of us, even if in fact we normally ever experience consciousness when it comes with content, data, qualia.

You are confusing yourself with this bare consciousness stuff. It is not the same thing as what is being claimed, and in fact there cannot be any consciousness without content. This is not a theory about consciousness per se, it's an answer to which consciousness is yours.

As I see it, "me" can only refer to a specific and unique complex of biographical data and perception, sensations, and impressions.
In that case, why would you not regard a being with all those features in common with you, as you? You are rounding the circle yet again. Either the "me" is particular to some combination of objective facts (in which case any entity with those facts is "me") or it is something that distinguishes you from even perfect duplicates of your body and brain (in which case it cannot depend on the details of your body and brain). The ordinary view requires that you PICK ONE. But neither one seems to be adequate, which is why you continue to oscillate between them. The alternative view resolves this problem.

And in fact, remembering that I am a "me" at all is also part of this complex of data. Without data, there's therefore no possibility of any sense of being me. There's only bare consciousness. And in that state of mind, you don't have a sense of being you.
EB

Again, this is totally irrelevant. This is a discussion about metaphysics, not epistemology, and not philosophy of mind.

Back
Top Bottom