• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

the New Testament

Do we have actual grammars going back to ancient times that tells us how we should translate these languages anyway?

There is no authoritative prescriptive grammar for Koine Greek; indeed, our primary source for the dialect is the early Christian corpus itself, a fact which has led to some very dubious translations over the years. So knowing Greek might not help; I read Koine pretty well, but my knowledge came from classes that came from concordances that came, largely, from the Bible. We do have a small library of other Koine texts, mostly personal letters, themselves no guarantee of grammatical perfection. We do have some commentary from ancient writers complaining about the uneducated style of the Christian scriptures, but that's not quite the same thing as illegibility. Spelling is often inconsistent between mss., but one could say the same for our manuscripts of Plato, etc.; pre-printing press, you've just got scribes of various talent levels to do your copying. So I think it would be difficult to make a strong case for an ungrammatical NT, even if we might suspect.

Back
Top Bottom