• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Olympics

http://www.tmz.com/2016/08/18/team-usa-swimmers-ryan-lochte-gas-station-security-guard/

I've been puzzled about what the motive would be for them to make up a robbery story. Now things are starting to make sense.

Me too. I knew there was a motive, and also that they had done something wrong, but I couldn't figure what... So now we know...

Oh the douchebaggery!

What I don't get is what is their motive for telling anyone about this, whether the false version or the truth? It would likely have never become a thing had they not gone out of their way to tell the falsified version.

The only thing I can think of is that Lochte actually believes they were robbed and was so drunk that he actually did not realize that the guy with the gun and badge was a security officer demanding payment for the damage.

BTW, if security cannot forcible restrain people and demand they return/compensate for stolen/damaged items, then it seems that private citizens should not be able to use any kind of force to stop people from stealing their property. Using a gun to demand fair compensation is infinitely more justifiable than using a gun to shoot someone trying to leave with your possessions.

BTW, if security cannot forcible restrain people and demand they return/compensate for stolen/damaged items, then it seems that private citizens should not be able to use any kind of force to stop people from stealing their property. Using a gun to demand fair compensation is infinitely more justifiable than using a gun to shoot someone trying to leave with your possessions.

Generally speaking, if they are leaving with your possessions, you are not allowed to shoot them, either. It is at the point that they are entering your property to relieve you of your possessions, or still taking your possessions, and not attempting to leave that you are allowed to shoot them, as you are not sure that their only intent is to steal your possessions. If you shoot them in the back as they are crawling out your window with your TV, you will likely face charges.

Generally speaking, if they are leaving with your possessions, you are not allowed to shoot them, either. It is at the point that they are entering your property to relieve you of your possessions, or still taking your possessions, and not attempting to leave that you are allowed to shoot them, as you are not sure that their only intent is to steal your possessions. If you shoot them in the back as they are crawling out your window with your TV, you will likely face charges.

I suppose the guard can always say he felt threatened. There was 4 of them, in excellent shape athletes, drunk off their asses and they could have been threatening to him when he tried to detain them for the damages, so he pulled a gun.

I've been puzzled about what the motive would be for them to make up a robbery story. Now things are starting to make sense.
Isn't that still robbery though? If you owe me $100 and pull a gun to make you pay that's robbery in the US. Sure, Lochte et al should not have trashed the bathroom and refused to pay for damages, but the owner is in the wrong as well.

Well, the gas station owner's version of events is that the security guard had a gun, but didn't threaten anyone with it. Lochte says he did, but Lochte's a known lyin' liar, so I don't know how much we can trust his version of events. The guard just collected money from Lochte and the others to pay for the damage they did. That's not robbery. If I owned the station I would have probably done that as well, knowing these guys were going to be leaving the country at any time, and wouldn't be around to pay damages via the court system.

I had a kid accidentally break my car window once while he was goofing around with his friends in the street. I didn't feel like getting the cops or my insurance company involved, so I asked him (via his dad) to pay me directly for a replacement window. Same thing.

Police says gun was pointed at one of the athletes but it was because he was a bit out of control.

Isn't that still robbery though? If you owe me $100 and pull a gun to make you pay that's robbery in the US. Sure, Lochte et al should not have trashed the bathroom and refused to pay for damages, but the owner is in the wrong as well.

Yeah, that's robbery by the standards of most of the world. Thus their report of being robbed was truthful--they just omitted the part of the story that explains why they were robbed.

Not exactly - they stated their taxi had been pulled over by criminals pretending to be police, in the middle of a freeway or avenue (plus all the "action hero" shtick of being held at gun point and refusing to lie on the floor).

The gas station only appeared in version 2.3 or so. So the intent of lying and deceiving the police is very clear.

Yeah, that's robbery by the standards of most of the world. Thus their report of being robbed was truthful--they just omitted the part of the story that explains why they were robbed.

Not exactly - they stated their taxi had been pulled over by criminals pretending to be police, in the middle of a freeway or avenue (plus all the "action hero" shtick of being held at gun point and refusing to lie on the floor).

The gas station only appeared in version 2.3 or so. So the intent of lying and deceiving the police is very clear.

Plus, there may not have been any extortion at all. The station called the cops. The gun may have only been drawn after Lochte began to get aggressive toward the guard, and the money offered by Lochte in exchange for not pressing charges (iow, no "robbery" even in a technical sense).

Seems likely that the whole lie was concocted by Lochte. Given that his Olympic career is over and that of the others is just beginning, if he has any decency, he will take full responsibility for the whole thing to try and prevent his teammates from being banned from the US team.

Plus, there may not have been any extortion at all. The station called the cops. The gun may have only been drawn after Lochte began to get aggressive toward the guard, and the money offered by Lochte in exchange for not pressing charges (iow, no "robbery" even in a technical sense).

Seems likely that the whole lie was concocted by Lochte. Given that his Olympic career is over and that of the others is just beginning, if he has any decency, he will take full responsibility for the whole thing to try and prevent his teammates from being banned from the US team.

He should volunteer to do time in a Brazilian prison. That'd be penitence.

Let me get this straight

Four boys from the USA got drunk in Rio and did stupid shit and are now in trouble with the police ...

What is there to understand?

How it is that the Rio police didn't shoot them.

Given that Brazilian police make American police look like Canadian police, anytime they have an interaction with somebody and that person walks away, it's worth giving the police a pat on the back for being able to hold off on their baser instincts.

Well, Lochte apologized.

His friend in Brazil is bribing his way out of a charge. His other 2 friends are back in the States.

Lochte will probably get barred from swimming for the US for a while - unless he's already retired? - and he can look forward to a career of nothing much since all he knows is swimming and he just muddied his name.

Its like the Olympians said. They were drunk. They fucked up. They were extorted. They were scared. Brazilian authorities are not pristine as I see it.

Except the Olympians did not say they were drunk and fucked up until it was already proven by the videos. Also, there is no clear evidence of extortion, and the fact that the cops were called by the gas station makes extortion less likely. At this point it seem most likely that the cops were called and the guard was attempting to prevent the swimmers from taking off (i.e., stealing from the gas station). The swimmers gave the money to the guard in order to avoid being prosecuted by the cops, which doesn't appear in itself illegal for the station to accept restitution in lieu of pressing charges.

Irish Olympic Committee boss locked up in Rio maximum security prison over illegal sale of tickets. A similar scam involving major foreign FIFA bosses during the world cup.
I hope this is his prison:
World-Cup-Jail-Cells.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/world-cup-2014-inside-brazilian-3669493

Daily Mail

Forget those scare stories from Rio... sport triumphed! The last 14 days have brought us a festival of magic and emotion

376009CD00000578-3750828-image-a-67_1471730586120.jpg

To the unending surprise of its most naive critics, the Olympic Games did not cure Rio de Janeiro.

It did not rid Guanabara Bay of its pollutants or its sewage, it did not halt bloody violence between drugs gangs and police, it did not eradicate traffic jams, it did not lift the millions who live in the city’s favelas out of poverty, it did not stop muggings on Copacabana beach and it did not prevent Ryan Lochte behaving, as a Washington Post columnist put it, like ‘the dumbest bell that ever rang’.

Tempting though it may be to ascribe such healing properties to the Games, history tells you they have a habit of falling short when it comes to delivering economic and environmental miracles.

Full article.

Back
Top Bottom