• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The OpenAI conspiracy argument for a possible simulation

Why do you suspect there's "proof" of a simulation?
I should have asked for "evidence". Anyway I don't think there is any overwhelming evidence and that's intended.
.....And furthermore, if the Universe is a simulation, I would expect the programmers of the simulation themselves to have tried to hide proof as much as they possibly could,
I think there are clues. I think it is ok for some people to see that there could be an intelligence behind things even though it can seem like there isn't.
but regardless, this makes it an unfalsifiable hypothesis and pretty useless.
But I find it comforting occasionally.

Last edited:
but regardless, this makes it an unfalsifiable hypothesis and pretty useless.
I'm the opposite. I find it comforting that there isn't an intelligence behind all of this, it would be creepy and weird if there was to say the least, to me. And I've been through enough to find many comforting notions I had to be shattered, and not to mention due to many health reasons, my early life was defined by discomfort, so I have no problem with discarding comforting notions, if there's enough evidence to discard them. Haven't found a reason to believe there's any intelligence behind this Universe.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. I find it comforting that there isn't an intelligence behind all of this, it would be creepy and weird if there was to say the least, to me. And I've been through enough to find many comforting notions I had to be shattered, and not to mention due to many health reasons, my early life was defined by discomfort, so I have no problem with discarding comforting notions, if there's enough evidence to discard them. Haven't found a reason to believe there's any intelligence behind this Universe.
This talks more about my thoughts:
https://iidb.org/threads/mark-mansons-life-is-a-video-game-analogy-and-the-cheats.28381

Anyway personally I'd been suicidal and had attempted suicide as an atheist. If things seem bleak and I was pretty sure of that then non-existence seems preferable. Note my job prospects are extremely bad since I had ECT shock treatment (severe memory issues). Lately I've also had carpal tunnel which is a problem for manual work. I've been married for 12 years though and usually my depression was related to not having a girlfriend/wife.

As far as what I find comforting - partly it is about this possibility:
It talks about "waking up" after a Roy game scenario or Alan Watts' dream thought experiment.

That is related to "me" basically consenting to the suffering.

And after you’ve done that for some time you’d think up a new wrinkle. To forget that you were dreaming so that you would think it was all for real. And to be anxious about it. Because it’d be so great when you wake up. And then you say well like children who dare each other on things, how far out could you get? Or could you take what dimension of being lost, of abandonment, of your power, what dimension of that could you stand you could ask yourself this because you know you would eventually wake up

Note when I was most suicidal I was somewhat comfortable financially I was mainly upset about my love life. Note that the first time I ever held a hand or went for a coffee, etc, was at the age of 29.

A significant reason I don't kill myself is that I suspect that if it's a simulation it might be fair and just and there might be a punishment for suicide especially if the reasons seemed somewhat trivial (or get less of a reward/high score). Then later there seemed like there is hope again though it is still somewhat bleak. (I haven't found any extra income methods)

This discussion should be on that Mark Manson thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom