• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Oregon Lottery - I'm in!

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Oregon is starting a lottery for people who have been vaccinated. The winner will get a $1,000,000. There will also be winners from each county: $10,000 each. Scholarship money and etc. Unfortunately, those people who are classified as having "shit for brains" (technical term for those who refuse to get vaccinated for moral reasons) are not eligible.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...questions-answered-1-86-m-lottery/5209138001/

No exceptions for religious or medical exceptions. I do feel bad for those who are unable to get the shot for medical reasons. However, this will encourage additional people to get the shot, which will greatly benefit people who can't get the shot anyway.

Ohio is doing something similar. I don't know if it's just for the vaccine reluctant who have yet to find their senses or what. It's a damn shame the state has to save people from themselves.

Ohio is doing something similar. I don't know if it's just for the vaccine reluctant who have yet to find their senses or what. It's a damn shame the state has to save people from themselves.

Agreed. I hope that if there is another federal stimulus, that we should make it for people willing to be vaccinated.

I got mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, if it does what its supposed to do (get the vaccinations in Oregon up significantly), then I guess it was a good thing. Any means to an end, you might say.

On the other hand, its a bit sad that it takes a gimmick like this to get people to do what they should do anyway as part of contributing to the greater good of society. Sorta reminds me of paying your kids for getting good grades when they should be trying to excel because its the sensible thing to do, not because they get a cash payout so they can go buy comic books or candy.

CBS News just reported that vaxes rose 53% after lottery implementation.

Vaccination is proceeding in Thailand, most-affected provinces (and government employees?) first. My adult child received an employer-mandated vaccine today.

As an alien, I am not eligible for vaccination. (Though I reside here permanently, I, like 99+% of permanently-residing aliens here, am not officially a permanent resident.)

The U.S. has vaccinated all its Consulate employees here, but doesn't provide vaccine for U.S. citizens. How are foreigners handled in other countries?

Hearing bad things about the Sinovac vaccine, maybe I should feel fortunate that I'm not offered that jab! Rumor is that at some point private hospitals will be allowed to sell (higher-quality?) vaccinations.

How are foreigners handled in other countries?
The South Korean government tells me that I'll get a free vaccine in July or August.

That might sound a little late, but they only started vaccinating non-frontline workers about a month ago. Only citizens 65+ are getting the vaccine right now.

Not a big deal, South Korea is on it's 4th wave right now but none of them were nearly as bad as the waves in 3rd world hell holes like the India, the UK, or the US ;).

How are foreigners handled in other countries?
Free for everyone in Russia it seems. People from EU fly to Moscow just to get vaccinated. And in Moscow they give ice-cream to vacinated, foreigners included.
I am not from Moscow, so got nothing.

Countries are desperate to get doses and the US has to pay Americans to take the damn vaccine.

CBS News just reported that vaxes rose 53% after lottery implementation.

Well, that’s pretty significant, and the benefit to the rest of society outweighs the loss of lottery ticket for me.
I’m impressed with the 53% rise.

Meanwhile, GOP trying to stop Ohio's vaccine lottery.
article said:
The program has already seemed to driving vaccine incentive. By Friday, the state's health department said the campaign has led to a nearly 30 percent spike in vaccinations ever since its rollout.

More than 1 million adults have entered the lucky draw and tens of thousands have signed for the youth scholarship opportunity, the department said.

"This dramatic increase in vaccinations indicates that the Vax-a-Million drawing has been impactful in creating momentum for vaccinations throughout Ohio," Stephanie McCloud, director of the Ohio Department of Health, said in a press release.

article said:
But just days before the first drawing is set to take place, Powell is seeking to put an end to what she calls a "frivolous use of taxpayer dollars."

"We don't need Governor DeWine giving us an award for getting a shot like when we were kids. Ohioans are smart/wise people who make decisions for themselves. The vaccine lottery is a frivolous use of taxpayer dollars," the GOP representative tweeted Saturday.

The irony that so many people are unwilling to take a free shot with a one-in-a-million chance of having a bad reaction but will run to get a one-in-a-million chance of winning a cash prize.

What a dumb use of tax money. Public park? No. Community food bank? As if.
No, it'll go into some private citizen's pocket for making a choice that takes minimal smarts. Next up: lottery for those who didn't overdose on fentanil this year and another for those who didn't go to the hospital after sticking a fork in an outlet.

No, it'll go into some private citizen's pocket for making a choice that takes minimal smarts.

Hey, those with minimal smarts are people too. That's why 74 million of them voted for Donald Trump.

No, it'll go into some private citizen's pocket for making a choice that takes minimal smarts. Next up: lottery for those who didn't overdose on fentanil this year and another for those who didn't go to the hospital after sticking a fork in an outlet.
The company I work for is giving compensation in hours and money to those that get vaccinated. It is ridiculous, stupid, awful that this needs to be done to get more people, enough?, vaccinated. And if it does get us much closer to herd levels, $5 million is a dropped nickel on the floor at the register compared to the cost of another soft shutdown.

Back
Top Bottom