• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The politics of research: Do you think the following can spur political awareness?

ryan

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
a little of everything
In the quote below is a plea/message intended for people who want more health and medical research from their governments; it is also meant to raise awareness to people who don't realize this could be a political issue.

If enough people pass this on using email, Facebook, etc. the more likely there is a chance to change the paradigm on the relatively low amount of money spent on health and medical research.

Let's see if this works. Please email it if you want to have more of this kind of research.

The email's content and structure is the following:

Title:

Forward this email if you want the government to spend more money on health and medical research.

Body:

Health and medical research helps keep people healthy and alive by creating better medicine, providing better health studies and advancing surgical technologies and procedures.

The three types of research mentioned are crucial to the fight on diseases such as cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's and heart disease.

Some of the money should also be spent on making the research process better.

The goal is to raise this awareness to as many people as possible. So if you believe in this, please forward this email to one or more people.

In the quote below is a plea/message intended for people who want more health and medical research from their governments; it is also meant to raise awareness to people who don't realize this could be a political issue.

If enough people pass this on using email, Facebook, etc. the more likely there is a chance to change the paradigm on the relatively low amount of money spent on health and medical research.

Let's see if this works. Please email it if you want to have more of this kind of research.

Title:

Forward this email if you want the government to spend more money on health and medical research.

Body:

Health and medical research helps keep people healthy and alive by creating better medicine, providing better health studies and advancing surgical technologies and procedures.

The three types of research mentioned are crucial to the fight on diseases such as cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's and heart disease.

The goal is to raise this awareness to as many people as possible. So if you believe in this, please forward this email to one or more people.

This looks like a pyramid scheme/chain email scam. It has ZERO content, if you posted the whole thing, and will achieve nothing. Who sent it? Do you have the full headers?

Title:

Body:

This looks like a pyramid scheme/chain email scam. It has ZERO content, if you posted the whole thing, and will achieve nothing. Who sent it? Do you have the full headers?

I made this. I want the world to put more resources towards keeping humans healthy and alive. I mean those seem to be the two most fundamentally important things to each individual, so I hope people send this content to as many people as possible via email or whatever way they want.

This message is simply to raise awereness to people and eventually if enoigh people send it, it will make its way to politicians who will see how many people forwarded it.

Who do you imagine will be convinced by your line of reasoning? Do you think there is anything in your message that the government is unaware of? Do you realize how much money is spent on medical research every year?

This message is simply to raise awereness to people and eventually if enoigh people send it, it will make its way to politicians who will see how many people forwarded it.

It will fail. It looks exactly like a chain-email scam. It contains, as I previously said, nothing of any concrete nature, and is a Pyramid email. I would mark it as junk in GMail, and it would get added to their spam filters.
You may have the best of intentions, but unless there is MUCH more substance, this will go into the bit-bucket.

https://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types__Temp_Remove-Pyramid_Schemes_and_chain_letters.htm

Last edited:
This will happen when US voters start voting for people based on their opinions about medical research and not their opinion about guns, homosexuals, immigrants and abortion.

Who do you imagine will be convinced by your line of reasoning? Do you think there is anything in your message that the government is unaware of?

Like I told the others, it's more about whether or not the people will forward this message thousands, mabey millons and hopefully billions of times. If they do, the democratic politicians will take notice and be more willing to build it ino their campaign startegy.

Do you realize how much money is spent on medical research every year?

Yes, I have been researching what the UK, US, Aus and Canada are spending provicially/state and federally.

It's not much relatively speaking and certainly not to what it provides for the and humanity personally and economically. Are you possibly thinking of healthcare?

It will fail. It looks exactly like a chain-email scam. It contains, as I previously said, nothing of any concrete nature, and is a Pyramid email. I would mark it as junk in GMail, and it would get added to their spam filters.
You may have the best of intentions, but unless there is MUCH more substance, this will go into the bit-bucket.

https://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types__Temp_Remove-Pyramid_Schemes_and_chain_letters.htm
I wanted it short and to the point. I thought that if it were long with a lot data it would just get set aside to the "read later" status.

I wanted it short and to the point. I thought that if it were long with a lot data it would just get set aside to the "read later" status.

It's short, all right. As I said, though, it contains no actual information or action points....it's not attention-grabbing. I work in health-care, in a very worthwhile area, and it's ultra-hard to get noticed in all the hubbub competing for attention. At the least ask recipients, if it doesn't get junked, to reach out to their congress critters and actually do something.

Well as it is, it goes into the "ignore immediately" status, which I presume is not preferable.

Spam is spam no matter how well intentioned. And while it might have worked in the 1990s, it doesn't work anymore - people have developed immunity to it and recognise and ignore it very quickly.

Perhaps you can find a Nigerian prince who wants to donate $1,0000,000,00.00 American US Dollars to your cause?

It's short, all right. As I said, though, it contains no actual information or action points....it's not attention-grabbing. I work in health-care, in a very worthwhile area, and it's ultra-hard to get noticed in all the hubbub competing for attention. At the least ask recipients, if it doesn't get junked, to reach out to their congress critters and actually do something.

Yeah I thought of that, but it would be overwhelming and since the present government already has a budget and strategy in place, there wouldn't be much that can be done anyways.

But if there is an increased awareness, the soon-to-be-running democratic parties, in the U.S. for example, may take notice.

I want people to send it to a few people they know, so they are less likely to think it is junk.

Well as it is, it goes into the "ignore immediately" status, which I presume is not preferable.

Spam is spam no matter how well intentioned. And while it might have worked in the 1990s, it doesn't work anymore - people have developed immunity to it and recognise and ignore it very quickly.

Perhaps you can find a Nigerian prince who wants to donate $1,0000,000,00.00 American US Dollars to your cause?

I want people to send it to a few people they know, so they are less likely to think it is junk.

It IS junk. It has all of the characteristics of junk. I wouldn't send it to anyone I actually liked, because they would (qute rightly) think less of me for spamming them.

It IS junk. It has all of the characteristics of junk. I wouldn't send it to anyone I actually liked, because they would (qute rightly) think less of me for spamming them.

"Let's build a wall to keep out Mexicans", that spread. A large fraction of human brains processed that in a favorable way and probably passed it on.

But if you are scared of what people think of you when you have a positive message with good intentions, then clearly this kind of thing is not for you.

"Let's build a wall to keep out Mexicans", that spread. A large fraction of human brains processed that in a favorable way and probably passed it on.
It didn't spread because people were asked to cut and paste stuff into an email and send it to their friends.

It spread because it conformed with people's existing prejudices and desires.

People spread internet memes that they agree with. They do not agree with things because of internet memes.

Internet memes are good for bringing to prominence ideas that already exist subconsciously in the target population.
But if you are scared of what people think of you when you have a positive message with good intentions, then clearly this kind of thing is not for you.

This kind of thing is not for ANYONE. It's not a positive message, it's an insipid call do do something poorly defined for an unstated reason. The only positive message in your spam is 'share this spam'.

Title:

Forward this email [Demanding. First impression is poor] if you want the government [poorly defined. Which Government?] to spend more money [poorly defined. How much more? How much do they currently spend?] on health and medical research.

Body:

Health and medical research [Poorly defined. This is a HUGE and varied field.] helps keep people [ Poorly defined. Which people? Why do I care about them?] healthy and alive by creating better medicine, providing better health studies and advancing surgical technologies and procedures. [All of which we currently have from current research. Why should I think we need more?]

The three types of research mentioned are crucial to the fight on diseases such as cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's and heart disease. [Why? What reason do I have to think that current research in these areas is inadequate?]

Some of the money should also be spent on making the research process better. [Better in what way? For whom? At what cost? Why do I need to care about this? What's wrong with current levels of spending?]

The goal is to raise this awareness to as many people as possible. [Awareness plus $2 will get you a soda. Why do I care about 'awareness'? Why should I imagine that people are not already aware that medical research is a thing?] So if you believe in this, [In what? You haven't presented anything to believe in.] please forward this email to one or more people. [And back to the only and overriding demand, for which little motive to comply has been provided.]

That's not how any of this works.

If you want to write an advertisement, propaganda piece, or even a successful viral spam, you have to grab people by the emotions and give them something to WANT.

You don't say "It would be nice if fewer Mexicans came to the United States"; You say "Mexican rapists and criminals are endangering YOUR family [Clear and emotionally motivated threat]. Let's build a wall to keep them out! [Simple and easily understood response]"

Where in your proposed spam is the clear call to action, and the clear action in response to the call?

This would be more like it:

Cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's and heart disease are a threat to YOU. They kill millions of ordinary Americans every year, but the government wastes your taxes on useless border walls.

If you want a long and healthy life for your family, write your Congressman TODAY and demand more federal funding of research into cures for these diseases!

Share this with your friends - They want to live too!

I'm sure I could do quite a lot better if I took a bit of time over the copy. And a professional advertising copywriter could do FAR better than I.

Writing advertising, marketing, and propaganda materials is, (like pretty much every skill there is) something that an enthusiastic amateur almost certainly cannot do effectively - and almost certainly believes that he can. It's the Dunning Kruger effect.

As with every other field of human endeavor, your only options are 'learn how do be good at it' or 'suck at it'. It is clear that when it comes to writing propaganda, you have chosen the latter option. That's quite OK - it's not a skill that most people need.

Last edited:
It didn't spread because people were asked to cut and paste stuff into an email and send it to their friends.

No it came out of a stranger's mouth (an obnoxious stranger at that) not from a friend or family member.

Your grasp on what I am trying to do is severely limited, like shockingly ignorant (you know I don't say this kind of stuff to people often, but this post is up there in worst replies ever).

And better medicine doesn't?

People spread internet memes that they agree with. They do not agree with things because of internet memes.

And who said it was that way? Why waste time with the obvious? Again, how can you have such poor comprehension.

Internet memes are good for bringing to prominence ideas that already exist subconsciously in the target population.

Yes, I know this, which is why I am seeing if people are ready to change the paradigm on how we think about the priority of health and medical research.

This kind of thing is not for ANYONE. It's not a positive message, it's an insipid call do do something poorly defined for an unstated reason. The only positive message in your spam is 'share this spam'.

So reasons like cancer and diabetes aren't stated reasons? Do you know what you are even saying????

That's it. I am done here. Thanks for the help bilby. Just kidding, please don't ever comment on anything that I ever say again; it is just too moronic.

No it came out of a stranger's mouth (an obnoxious stranger at that) not from a friend or family member.

Your grasp on what I am trying to do is severely limited, like shockingly ignorant (you know I don't say this kind of stuff to people often, but this post is up there in worst replies ever).

And who said it was that way? Why waste time with the obvious? Again, how can you have such poor comprehension.

Yes, I know this, which is why I am seeing if people are ready to change the paradigm on how we think about the priority of health and medical research.

So reasons like cancer and diabetes aren't stated reasons? Do you know what you are even saying????

That's it. I am done here. Thanks for the help bilby. Just kidding, please don't ever comment on anything that I ever say again; it is just too moronic.

Ryan...you floated the idea for public critique. It got universal condemnation....that's honest feedback that YOU solicited. If you didn't want it, why ask...or did you intend to just carry on anyway?

Seriously, Ryan.....blaming Bilby for giving genuine feedback on what is universally viewed (by anyone who cared to respond) as a terrible idea, is pretty poor. Especially when I gave the same feedback. Bilby's responses aren't moronic...the idea is, given the current state of the Internet.

Ryan...you floated the idea for public critique. It got universal condemnation....that's honest feedback that YOU solicited. If you didn't want it, why ask...or did you intend to just carry on anyway?

Seriously, Ryan.....blaming Bilby for giving genuine feedback on what is universally viewed (by anyone who cared to respond) as a terrible idea, is pretty poor. Especially when I gave the same feedback. Bilby's responses aren't moronic...the idea is, given the current state of the Internet.

First of all bilby's replies are always offensive or backhanded at best. I have been putting up with his garbage for 6 years and so has everyone else.

But this time he was offensive and mindless. Did you read what I said about his helpful "critique"?

I always say thank you even if there are some insults, but it has to be accurate. Something this rude better be f***ing brilliant. But this was stupid and insulting.

Back
Top Bottom