• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Privatization Backlash

Yeah, under the terms of deal it would be bad. The issue to really make privitazation work, there has to be constant compettion. One example you probably won't agree with on where privitization has worked, has been the airlines.

I don't remember the airlines ever being a government run industry.

I wasn't completely run by the government, but they dictated many aspects of it. Another example would be FedEx and UPS paving ways in the letter and package delivery.

Not directly analogous, but throughout history the standing government always did the initial exploration of new areas and that was followed up by private commerce/trade.

I wasn't completely run by the government, but they dictated many aspects of it. Another example would be FedEx and UPS paving ways in the letter and package delivery.

I appreciate your input but the airlines and FedEx/UPS really don't have anything to do with the topic in the OP.

One example would probably be the odd public absorption of the bankrupt Railroads into Conrail which the government strengthened and then privatized back out, by selling it to CSX and Norfolk Southern.
Yeah, under the terms of deal it would be bad. The issue to really make privitazation work, there has to be constant compettion. One example you probably won't agree with on where privitization has worked, has been the airlines.
Um... how many airlines have declared bankruptcy since 1978?

One example would probably be the odd public absorption of the bankrupt Railroads into Conrail which the government strengthened and then privatized back out, by selling it to CSX and Norfolk Southern.
Um... how many airlines have declared bankruptcy since 1978?

Since that contract for the meters in the OP was not properly vetted by the taxpaying citizens of the city, it should be declared null and void due to predatory clauses. 71 years my rosey arse, and having to back pay a penalty for constructing parking garages? Morgan Stanley should be publicly whipped for such crap. It sounds like Daley's Fuck You to Chicago.

But think about it. If you have to sell something to pay your bills, and someone offers you a lot of money for it, then probably it's because THEY think they can make a profit on it. If THEY can profit, you probably can too. How is it the City wasn't making money on parking meters? I think that should have been the first question. Couldn't the CITY have raised parking prices FOURFOLD? Selling capital assets that produce income is usually stupid, no matter who does it. Yes I do understand that bureaucracy can grow like a weed, become obstructionist, create unnecessary expense, and that happens with government run entities that don't have to compete. But it also happens with private entities that don't have to compete.

There are two models I like. 1. Government builds an infrastructure, such as fiberoptic or microwave networks, then leases it out to companies to handle customer management, billing, and service. The companies all pay the government the same for their leases, the competition comes in how well they manage customer service. The government is required to lease to at least two companies in any region, if no two companies in any region exist, the government must run the service at a PROFIT.

This model gives efficiency of scale, because resources are not duplicated in building the infrastructure. It gives efficiency of service and maintenance, because the entire network would be built on the same standards. Kind of like track width for railroads. It allows the government to back out of the customer facing side of the industry, while keeping them responsible for maintenance. It allows and forces the government to recoup investment. It makes competition work. It creates niches for start up companies that operate locally.

2. Government rescues critical industry or service by buying a controlling interest and taking over management. Government then consolidates and runs the industry until it can be bought out. Similar to what we did with the railroad, only once again, government Makes Money.

Our city water and electric company Make Profits. They drive most of them back into the business, with new sources of water and electricity and technical and infrastructure improvements, but the excess goes to city hall, and that keeps my property taxes down. I think this is a win win model for any critical public service business.

Last edited:
Judging whether a privatization is "succesful" depends on the purposes of the privatization and one's views on what should be the goals. I am aware that privatization has been judged successful around the world in some instances. For example

Privatization--properly structured --yields substantial and enduring benefits. A detailed and rigorous Bank examination of 12 privatizations in four countries found that divestiture was good for the economy as a whole--and led to higher productivity and faster growth in all but one case (see chart and the box on the back page). The Chilean telephone company doubled its capacity in the four years after sale. The privatized telephone company in Mexico reduced its per-unit labor costs sharply.

Another study found that 41 firms privatized by public offerings in 15 countries--Jamaica, Chile, Singapore, and Mexico among them--increased returns on sales, assets, and equity, raised internal efficiency, improved their capital structure, and increased capital expenditures. They also expanded their workforces by small margins. Privatization often is accompanied by layoffs, but this is not always so--jobs increased after privatization in divested firms in the Philippines, Tunisia, Mexico, and Chile.

Most privatization success stories come from high-income and middle-income countries. Privatization is easier to launch and more likely to produce positive results when the company operates in a competitive market, and when the country has a market-friendly policy environment and a good capacity to regulate. The poorer the country, the longer the odds against privatization producing its anticipated benefits, and the more difficult the process of preparing the terrain for sale.

Nonetheless, successes can be found in low-income countries, too. Privatization turned around an almost moribund textile firm in Niger, helped revive a defunct development finance corporation in Swaziland, and revitalized an agro-industrial firm in Mozambique. The Mozambiquan firm diversified into new products, began servicing its debts, and increased production fivefold.
(source: http://www.worldbank.org/html/prddr/outreach/or3.htm)

Oh Yeah The World Bank. Figures they would call these cases "successes".

As for what regular Mexican's think of their new higher cost phone service and lower wages, they aren't happy about it. Meanwhile, the Friend of the President that got to Run the privatized phone monopoly has gotten richer, and overall the privatization movement in Mexico is being blamed for the Poor getting Even Poorer. Mexican CITIZENS in general are against privatization, especially since the big toll road fiasco, but the Friends of El Presidente keep on moving, with help of course from the crazy economists at the World Bank.

http://www.abqjournal.com/376451/biz/privatizing-pemex-a-tricky-undertaking.html

And here is another take on the Chilean Affair

http://www.multinationalmonitor.org/hyper/issues/1991/05/collins.html

I seriously doubt that any change from public to private or (private to public) would have unanimous approbation. As I wrote in the post before I provided a link that had some "successes", that whether something is a success depends on the goals and on what one considers a success.

Publicly owned companies are effectively owned by the citizens as shareholders. By privatising such an entity, the government are selling my shares, without my permission or consent, and taxing the proceeds 100%. I don't see that as a good thing.

If the entity to be privatised is, or can be made, profitable, then it is better to keep it and collect the profits - returning them to the 'shareholders' as tax cuts. If it is not and cannot be made profitable, then no-one will buy it anyway, so privatisations that are possible are generally a bad idea for the owners (ie the citizens); However they are a very good thing for the handful of new shareholders, who almost always end up with a much larger shareholding, for less than it is worth.

Many good examples spring to mind from the privatisation frenzy in the Thatcher era in the UK. British Gas, British Telecom, British Steel et al. were advertised widely - "If you see Sid, tell him!" - ordinary Britons were invited to buy shares in these companies. Of course, they already owned the companies, but the government was not about to let them keep the share they owned. Oh no. Your opportunity was, if you had (or could raise) the capital, to buy the shares belonging to your poorer neighbours, at a discounted rate, whether they like it or not. It was robbery of the poor by the rich on a grand scale. Lots of upper middle class "ordinary" people got a big financial boost from this (although not as big as the fat-cats in the City of London got, of course); the whole thing was widely popular - at least amongst the comfortably well off white collar workers in the South East. The miners, mill workers, dockers, railwaymen and other blue collar employees in the North and Midlands didn't like it much - if they saw through the fact that they had just been fleeced; but of course, most were not aware of the sleight of hand that had taken place, even after the event; and those who were aware were in no position to prevent it from occurring.

I seriously doubt that any change from public to private or (private to public) would have unanimous approbation. As I wrote in the post before I provided a link that had some "successes", that whether something is a success depends on the goals and on what one considers a success.

If you read what the World Bank considers a success, it has nothing to do with the best possible result for the greatest number of people.

If you read what the World Bank considers a success, it has nothing to do with the best possible result for the greatest number of people.
I am not sure that is true. But if it is, that means your definition of success and their definition of success are different.

Air Canada was.
Canadian National was.
Petro-Canada was.
There are more examples. It pisses me off, when the government uses our money to build up a business, for good reasons, and then another administration comes along and flogs it off to their buddies ostensibly for ideological reasons, but actually greed and graft.. We was robbed! They are money makers, they always were. Those profits could be going into general revenues and actually reducing our taxes, instead of lining shareholders' pockets.
Now we have a Conservative government again, and they are driving Canada Post and the CBC into the ground, getting them ready for privatisation too. Grrrr!!!

Really? Why don't you educate us then and state what the World Bank considers a success. Here is what they consider their current goal:

The World Bank Group has set two goals for the world to achieve by 2030:

End extreme poverty by decreasing the percentage of people living on less than $1.25 a day to no more than 3%
Promote shared prosperity by fostering the income growth of the bottom 40% for every country

So clearly you think this actually isn't the case. So, what do you think the World Bank considers a success?

Also, with regards to privatization, the World Bank deals with low-GDP developing nations. In that context, it is almost always the case that public spending is better off going towards core development services like primary education, primary health care, and infrastructure investment rather than having a state-owned and operated automobile manufacturing sector or airline. That is usually what the World Bank promotes.

That is what the World Bank Should Promote. But here, I give you a link, you make up your own mind.

http://www.brettonwoodsproject.org/

The president of the World Bank is "selected" by the President of the US, and strangely enough, they tend to appoint people who follow their politics.

Or maybe you forgot already Paul Wolfowitz and Robert Zoellick?

Anyway, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Bank_Group#List_of_World_Bank_Directors-General_of_Evaluation
C'mon, it's only taken them 70 years to realise that 'less inequality is “robustly correlated with faster and more durable growth” and that income redistribution appears “generally benign”.'

Give 'em another century and they'll change policies to match.

Back
Top Bottom