• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The religion of "no beginning".

So? You must have a point in there somewhere, it can't all be pill dispensing and being wrong about stuff.

Since my point is you can in no way apply infinity to the real world you will have to figure it out yourself.

:picardfacepalm:

'Basic calculus' expert here doesn't know what a  real number is. Guess what, imaginary numbers aren't real numbers either. Wanna tell the electrical engineers and physicists that they don't apply to the real world?

So? You must have a point in there somewhere, it can't all be pill dispensing and being wrong about stuff.

Since my point is you can in no way apply infinity to the real world you will have to figure it out yourself.

'Basic calculus' expert here doesn't know what a  real number is. Guess what, imaginary numbers aren't real numbers either. Wanna tell the electrical engineers and physicists that they don't apply to the real world?

What is your ignorant problem with basic calculus?

Are you better than Newton?

Real numbers have some correspondence to reality, thus the name. They abstractly represent real quantities.

But infinity is pure fantasy. There is not even the chance of a correspondence to reality.

And no physicist with a brain would think the infinity they use in their calculations actually corresponds to something real.

What is your ignorant problem with basic calculus?

Are you better than Newton?

Real numbers have some correspondence to reality, thus the name. They abstractly represent real quantities.

But infinity is pure fantasy. There is not even the chance of a correspondence to reality.

And no physicist with a brain would think the infinity they use in their calculations actually corresponds to something real.

No, they are called real numbers because when they appear as a root of a polynomial equation, that polynomial actually crosses the x-axis there, as opposed to the 'imaginary' solutions that appear through algebraic manipulations but don't have a geometric root. FFS, do you have to always be wrong?

No, they are called real numbers because when they appear as a root of a polynomial equation, that polynomial actually crosses the x-axis there, as opposed to the 'imaginary' solutions that appear through algebraic manipulations but don't have a geometric root. FFS, do you have to always be wrong?

If he is correct, by accident, it's not my fault. You can't pin this one on me.

Time itself has traversed all of time.

Something traversed all of it.

Which means to those who can think it could not have been infinite.

An infinity cannot be traversed.

Time doesn't transverse itself.

Of course it does.

Time itself has existed for all of time. Pretty obvious.

What is your definition of time? What exactly is time and how exactly does time transverse itself?

A description please.

I am wrong about useless trivia sometimes. The "reals", the "naturals", the "imaginary". Ultimately it makes no difference. They are all man-made constructs. None of them actually correspond to the real world. No numbers exist in nature. You cannot find "three" in nature. There are no fractions in nature. You cannot hold a fraction of something in your hand. You can only hold a whole thing. No apple is perfectly symmetrical. None can be cut perfectly in half.

All I have to know about the reals is they exist as part of a progression on imaginary lines. Which is kind of like my thought experiment. They are different from infinity that exists nowhere.

What exactly is the point about infinity again?

You still haven't told me the magic you apply to it to make it real.

The entire point of this thread is to try to give the believers in "no beginning" a chance to demonstrate how infinity could possibly be real.

Last edited:
Of course it does.

What is your definition of time? What exactly is time and how exactly does time transverse itself?

A description please.

Are you claiming that time did not exist for all of time?

Is it possible for infinite changes to take place?

Movement along a line is a way to model change as well as model time. Change and time are intertwined. Without time you have no change.

Until you answer this question and then understand the implications this will not move further.

Last edited:
Of course it does.

A description please.

Movement along a line is a way to model change as well as model time. Change and time are intertwined. Without time you have no change.

This doesn't explain why infinite/eternal time cannot possibly be true.

You haven't answered the question so you can't understand the implications.

I can make it easy for some but they have to answer questions.

Can infinite changes take place? Is that something possible?

Sure, turn your head. Ohh yeah, you're an AI, so your head turn angle is limited by the resolution of your simulation. Do you detect pixelization as you turn your head? Frame dragging?

Assume, for a moment, that the rest of us are in a simulation, one that has the sensation of continuity and connection (like this table, made of disparate particles, appears to be one object in contact with universal spacetime!). How was the illusion of continuity created without continuity existing somewhere? How does it exist in an illusion, if it is not part of reality itself?

Durrr thoughts, by Depac d'Handy.

You have not demonstrated infinity is possible by talking about a series of finite movements.

Your belief that you have faced infinite directions as you turn around is a delusion. You haven't even faced a thousand.

What do you think is the smallest movement a human can make?

You should look into it. It is not nearly as small as your religion tells you.

You have not demonstrated infinity is possible by talking about a series of finite movements.

Your belief that you have faced infinite directions as you turn around is a delusion. You haven't even faced a thousand.

Probably a really small fart, in terms of mass, but I am not sure. Why do you ask?

Thank you for the information on the angular resolution of reality.

Probably a really small fart, in terms of mass, but I am not sure. Why do you ask?

Thank you for the information on the angular resolution of reality.

You have demonstrated nothing.

Your claims are farts.

What is the smallest movement a human can make?

And prove it.

Untermensche, I will not give away the secrets of humans to you, but imagine a really big hot dog. Now imagine a bigger hot dog, this one has a mouth, and it's eating the smaller hot dog.

Now imagine another hot dog. Patiently waiting. Watching. Ready to pounce, on a human. Because humans eat hot dogs. I know what you are untermensche. You will never know the smallest move a human can make. It is secret, like the recipe for big mac sauce. Which is most definitely not thousand island dressing fortified with extra mayo and a little bit of mustard.

Do you know why it's called 1000 island dressing untermensche? Do you? Because you can only face 1000 islands in the whole world by turning.

I have answered the question. Every time I state my position you repeat the same question at some later point, and on and on it goes. It is a ploy you use whenever you are pressured and it's obvious that you cannot justify your claim.

It's clear that you have not explained your claim, you merely repeat and reaffirm your belief.

Untermensche, I will not give away the secrets of humans to you, but imagine a really big hot dog. Now imagine a bigger hot dog, this one has a mouth, and it's eating the smaller hot dog.

Now imagine another hot dog. Patiently waiting. Watching. Ready to pounce, on a human. Because humans eat hot dogs. I know what you are untermensche. You will never know the smallest move a human can make. It is secret, like the recipe for big mac sauce. Which is most definitely not thousand island dressing fortified with extra mayo and a little bit of mustard.

Do you know why it's called 1000 island dressing untermensche? Do you? Because you can only face 1000 islands in the whole world by turning.

More farts.

You have nothing but empty unsupported claims. You think a person can make an infinitely small movement, whatever that is.

You will not even attempt to look at this rationally.

You are lost deep in religious belief.

I have answered the question. Every time I state my position you repeat the same question at some later point, and on and on it goes. It is a ploy you use whenever you are pressured and it's obvious that you cannot justify your claim.

It's clear that you have not explained your claim, you merely repeat and reaffirm your belief.

You have not answered one question put to you.

You are a blabbermouth that has no ability to listen.

Is it possible to make infinite changes?

Is that a physical possibility?

So you could have one change then another and another. Then one day you will have infinite changes.

If we look at the idea of change, which can be modeled as traveling over a line, a constant change of position, we can clearly see several things.

We know for certain infinite changes cannot take place.

Infinity is not an amount. It is not a destination. It cannot be achieved. It cannot be completed.

We also know that for there to be any number of changes there must be a first change.

You cannot have the tenth change unless you had a first change.

You cannot have change unless you have a first change.

The idea of change with no beginning to the change is irrational nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom