• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Remarkable Progress of Renewable Energy

There is a lot that can be done to reduce demand. When building a house passive heating and cooling can be effective. Going back to the 70s people put water filled garbage cans in a basement or under the house. To cool run night air at night house air during the day/ Reverse in winter, run air from a solar collector over the cans.Passive thermal mass exposed to the sun through a window.

Back in the 80s I lived out on the valley west of Portland Or. No shade and hot in summer. I rented a two story townhouse. At night I drew cool air from an upstairs window through a fan downstairs.

When I went to work I closed the windows, drew the curtains and blinds, and hung reflective space blankets over the glass.

When I got home the temp was comfortable. No air conditioning.

OK. We are beings evolved in a background radiation environment. We are beings living in a biome similarly evolved and we are aware that things are gradually cooling down, probably so slowly that including it as a factor would not impact our survival one whit.

We are actually governed by our character which happens to be fear based so excluding bombs from nuclear power considerations is just a neutral useless mind fart.

All that being said uncertainty about how we will treat nuclear power as we confront our tribal nature becomes the focal point of any calculus we develop to treat the risks of nuclear power over time domains way beyond those we characteristically employ for predictions. Just sayin' why I always include all aspects of the nuclear options.

OK. We are beings evolved in a background radiation environment. We are beings living in a biome similarly evolved and we are aware that things are gradually cooling down, probably so slowly that including it as a factor would not impact our survival one whit.

We are actually governed by our character which happens to be fear based so excluding bombs from nuclear power considerations is just a neutral useless mind fart.

All that being said uncertainty about how we will treat nuclear power as we confront our tribal nature becomes the focal point of any calculus we develop to treat the risks of nuclear power over time domains way beyond those we characteristically employ for predictions. Just sayin' why I always include all aspects of the nuclear options.

I presume you also study up on the effects of napalm before buying a new car; And consider the risks of meteorite strikes an appalling omission from the weather forecast. :rolleyes:

Yes, humans are irrationally fearful. No, that's not an excuse for wallowing in irrational fear, or stoking those fears in others rather than trying to overcome it.

If you can't bring yourself to be a part of the solution, you could at the very least be less eager to join in as part of the problem.

The definition of safe is the effects of something being indistinguishable from all other causes. In electronics reducing a noise source to the point of being indistinguishable from other noise sources is called being down in the noise.

There is background radiation, granite and radon for example. Back in the 80s I looked at exray emissions from CRTS, there was bit of a panic as displays grew in business. Back then a few inches away typical CRT emission was below background, xrays are part of the background. The granite countertop panic.

The routine effects of nuclear power are in the noise, that leaves cost and potential catastrophic failure.

https://www.radon.com/granite/

Granite and Radon
Recent media attention has focused on granite counter tops and whether they can increase your indoor radon levels. While testing your home is always a good idea, a few clarifications are in order.

FACT – All natural products, especially stone, minerals, and sand, contain trace amounts of some radioactive elements called NORMs (Naturally Occurring Radioactive Mineral) that can produce measurable amounts of radiation and sometimes radon gas.

This includes all concrete products, clay bricks, most non-plastic plates and dishes, coal and the flyash produced in coal-fired power plants, natural gas (contains radon), phosphate fertilizers used in your garden (ALL contain potassium and small amounts of uranium and thorium), and the vegetables grown using those fertilizers. The Border Patrol often catches truck loads of marijuana because it is loaded with radiation producing potassium), all glass made using silica (even eye glasses, wine glasses, mirrors, windows, etc.), and granite too. There are thousands of items we could list. If interested, visit these links for more info:

Bilby, I think I'm doing a pretty good job of laying out the field of parameters we now acknowledge as 'risk' when it comes to recovering from technological mistakes in nuclear energy utilization.

As for costs so far and anticipated costs I submit this reference from USGAO "HAZARDOUS WASTECLEANUPNumbers of ContaminatedFederal Sites, EstimatedCosts, and EPA'sOversight Role": https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/672464.pdf

If we are tribal, which seems pretty evident, we won't overcome risk of human 'error' as the primary factor in assigning risk to misuse of newer technologies for social good. The best we can do is be more realistic as to the costs of misuse of these technologies.

For instance it's impossible to assign risk responsibility to enterprise for such as handling errors in site selection, processing of materials, or use of facilities for other than energy production with nuclear power. Societies themselves will need periodically re-address future costs when those costs extend to over 10,000 years. As far as I'm concerned there is no rational solution for this kind of risk accommodation.

We'll just keep bumping in to it with those seeking to profit usually winning out against those who are prudent. What is there other than irrational fear here? Time scale alone is way too great for rational processes to be the basis for a 'reasonable' approach.

I'm anticipating my response to steve_bank with this next bit. We evolved in a radioactive environment We seem to be doing a pretty good job of evolving in spite of the risk. So background isn't a proper model for accounting nuclear accident or misstep risk. As the GAO report suggests, remaining (up to 2089 remediation) costs are anticipated to be $300 billion in today's dollars. Treating one contaminated nuclear site, Hanford, accounts for over $100 billion dollars. These estimates do not include fishery damage or economic losses due to such damage taken into account. It seems as if this is just another unpayable added to social care and maintenance costs for government in a nation reluctant to take responsibility for such expenses.

Finally, your last shot that organic based energy remediation is forever falls flat on the current permafrost solution (binding up Methane) nature provides which we should be able to emulate. As for the others, oil and coal there are existing solutions that probably can be mimicked by humans to mitigate the excesses we are creating today. I don't at what point minimum interference solutions become overwhelmed by exploitation excess rates but I think it is far different from what hand wringers are currently saying.

After all nature has doe many of the experiments already with consequences like world wide migration of humans due to sea changes and constraints to such expansion by temperature changes. We are, humans that is, ultimately still under the gentle hand of those factors that produce fitness.

You are well informed, mosy do not understand the catbon cycle and what upsetting it means.

IMO physical changes are underway that are not going to be reversed. Nature always corrects an imbalance in the long run. It may be 100 years or more away, but cultural and economic change will be forced upon us.

FDA Proclaims The "Impossible Burger" Is Safe To Eat | CleanTechnica -- it is fake beef made with plant products: Impossible Foods.
  • Protein: wheat and potatoes
  • Flavor: heme
  • Fat: coconut oil and some soy
  • Binders: konjac and xanthan
The heme resides in leghemoglobin, a hemoglobin-like protein made by the root nodules of legumes. However, it is made for this fake meat by yeast that were given the leghemoglobin gene. As it is made, the yeast leghemoglobin then picks up heme.

Those details aside, that article was included in CleanTechnica as a way of reducing one's ecological footprint. But I find interesting that CleanTechnica includes an article on this and not synthetic fuels. The closest it gets is with biofuels, and articles on that are scanty compared to articles on wind energy, solar energy, electricity storage, and electric cars.

SunExchange And Powerhive Partner To Bring Solar Power To 175,000 Kenyans | CleanTechnica -- in rural Kenya

Network Of Tesla Powerwall Batteries Saves Green Mountain Power $500,000 During Heat Wave | CleanTechnica -- 2000 of them.
First, by tapping into its VPP system, it was able to avoid buying electricity from other power generators at peak prices. The cost of electricity from the grid is adjusted every 5 minutes. As demand goes up, so do the prices. But there is a second factor in play, one that people who only use electricity for routine domestic purposes are not aware of.

By drawing on its own resources, GMP was able to reduce its payments to the bulk transmission system for New England. That charge is based on usage during the hour of the year when the most electricity was being used. That hour for this year (so far) is between 5 pm and 6 pm on July 5, the time of day when Vermonters came home from work, realized “Oh my God, it’s hot in here!” and rushed to turn on their air conditioners.

By relying on all those Powerwall batteries, GMP skipped that peak hour, which will lower its electricity costs for the entire year. Total cost benefit to the company? $500,000, says Castonguay.

US Wind Installations To Surge Before PTC Phase-Out In 2021 | CleanTechnica
Unsurprisingly, as we near the end of the PTC, developers are rushing to make sure they benefit as much as possible.

This is specifically the case for the US wind energy industry, according to a new report from MAKE Consulting entitled North America Wind Power Outlook 2018 which predicts that US wind energy developers will install over 30 GW worth of new capacity over the next three years (2018-2020). Following this surge, MAKE Research Analyst Anthony Logan expects that there will be a drop-off in wind turbine installations, but not to the point where it falls off the proverbial cliff, as developers will still be able to access an 80% PTC in 2021 (as it drops 20% each year after 2020).
So it will all be gone in 2025.

US Wind Capacity Surpasses 90 Gigawatts As Record Construction Levels Continue | CleanTechnica But Europe's wind-turbine construction rate has been slowing down: Europe Added 4.5 Gigawatts Of New Wind Capacity In First Half Of 2018 | CleanTechnica

Saudi Arabia's 1st Wind Farm Receives Strikingly Low Bid Prices | CleanTechnica -- a 400-megawatt offshore wind farm. Saudi Arabia is investing big in renewable energy, like solar panels.

What Other States Can Learn from California’s Solar Mandate - Renewable Energy World
A recent decision by The California Energy Commission to mandate solar panels on all new residential homes might seem like a good idea at first glance. However, digging deeper into the issues surrounding distributed renewables reveals that this mandate might not be the best idea for California state ratepayers. Other states considering similar mandates may want to take some time to consider alternatives that will increase the impact of their policies, while reducing costs to ratepayers.

Solar energy rises in the morning, peaks at noon, and falls in the afternoon, to zero at night, as one would expect.

Residential energy use is a small peak in the morning, flatness in midday, and a big peak in the evening, before declining to the nighttime energy consumption. Its correlation with solar-energy input is -0.06. So one would need batteries to make solar panels worthwhile.

However, commercial or light industrial facilities have a very different sort of curve. Stand-alone retail: 0.66, supermarket: 0.65, strip mall: 0.64, hospital: 0.59, outpatient facility: 0.59, warehouse: 0.59. For standalone retail, the curve is broader than the solar curve, starting about 2 hours before and ending about 4 hours after.

So solar panels are a better fit for them.

China's Silk Road Fund Takes 24 Percent Stake in Concentrating Solar Power Plant - Renewable Energy World
The 700-megawatt project will be developed along with Dubai Electricity & Water Authority and Saudi Arabia’s ACWA Power Barka SAOG, ACWA said in a statement on Sunday. The plant will combine a central tower and parabolic trough technology to harvest energy from the sun, store it in molten salt and produce steam to generate power during the day and throughout the night.

I suspect that by 2020, Trump will be voted out and the Democrats will regain control of both Senate and House. If so, we may very well see a reinstatement of tax breaks for wind and solar power. Part of that common sense, part of that a big FU eye poke to the GOP and climate denialists.

Afrer the Arab Oil Embargo in the 70s solar and wind credits were passed. In the long run expired. Big auto went big with cars, Japan went small and efficient. The size of current American pickup trucks is comical.

Tesla Energy — Rapid Growth In Solar Roof & Energy Storage Demand Outstripping Supply | CleanTechnica
In May 2018, Tesla reached the goal of deploying 1 GWh of energy storage worldwide after fewer than 5 years. Near-term goals are to add another 1 GWh of energy storage within 9 to 12 months.

More Signs That Renewable Energy Is Winning | CleanTechnica
When President* Trump took office on an agenda that included rolling back federal regulations favoring renewable energy, many observers predicted that the trend to clean power would nevertheless continue. Well, they were right. State-level support for clean power continues to have an impact, corporate buyers have firmly established wind and solar as bottom line benefits that transcend political bias, and now it seems that the political bias itself is beginning to wilt.
Including some Republican politicians supporting renewable-energy development.

1st Big US Offshore Wind Farm Scores Record-Low Price | CleanTechnica -- an 800-megawatt wind farm to be built just south of Martha's Vineyard. The only existing offshore wind farm is a 30-MW one at Block Island off of Rhode Island. This is part of US Offshore Wind Revolution Sets 5 Gigawatt Target In Massachusetts, Rhode Island, & New Jersey | CleanTechnica

The Nigerian Entrepreneur Who Wants His Country To Be Generator-Free | CleanTechnica -- many Nigerians get their electricity from generators that are apparently powered by diesel engines: they are noisy and their exhaust is very dirty.
Ademola Adesina is the Founder and CEO of Rensource, a subscription-based energy service that gives its clients the ability to fill the energy gap between what the woefully inadequate centralized power grid in Nigeria offers them, and what they really need to carry out their day-to-day life. The system uses a combination of long-lasting lithium based batteries and solar energy and like most of these solutions in Africa, the service is offered through a mobile-based user interface that allows its customers to pay their bills, and to understand how they use their power.
A nice thing about poorly-developed infrastructure is that it is easier to build alternatives from scratch. Like skipping landline phones and going directly to cellphones.

New Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Process Relies On 100-Year-Old Mining Techniques | CleanTechnica

BNEF Heralds 1 Terawatt Of Wind & Solar Generation Capacity Worldwide | CleanTechnica
Specifically, BNEF says that by the end of June 30, 2018, total wind and solar capacity hit 1,013 gigawatts (GW), lined up neatly between wind with 54% and solar with 46%.

The milestone also allows a moment to stop and look back. According to BNEF, the total installed capacity of wind and solar has grown 65-fold since 2000 and more than quadrupled since 2010. More impressive than the already-impressive combined growth is the growth of the solar PV industry which only 10 years ago in 2007 boasted just 8 GW of installed capacity, whereas the wind industry boasted 89 GW. However, since then, solar PV has grown from accounting for 8% of total installed wind and solar capacity to a current 46%, growing 57-fold in just 10 years.

Bloomberg also explained that it estimates a total of $2.3 trillion was required to see capacity hit the 1 TW mark, but that the second terawatt will cost “significantly less” due to industry-wide technology innovation resulting in significant price declines. Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s New Energy Outlook 2018 report estimated that capital expenditures on wind and solar generation will total $1.23 trillion in the next five years alone.
The growth in wind and solar capacity has been approximately exponential, and it shows no sign of leveling off. I am pleasantly surprised by how well photovoltaic cells have been doing -- that is something that I did not expect.

New Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Process Relies On 100-Year-Old Mining Techniques | CleanTechnica

BNEF Heralds 1 Terawatt Of Wind & Solar Generation Capacity Worldwide | CleanTechnica
Specifically, BNEF says that by the end of June 30, 2018, total wind and solar capacity hit 1,013 gigawatts (GW), lined up neatly between wind with 54% and solar with 46%.

The milestone also allows a moment to stop and look back. According to BNEF, the total installed capacity of wind and solar has grown 65-fold since 2000 and more than quadrupled since 2010. More impressive than the already-impressive combined growth is the growth of the solar PV industry which only 10 years ago in 2007 boasted just 8 GW of installed capacity, whereas the wind industry boasted 89 GW. However, since then, solar PV has grown from accounting for 8% of total installed wind and solar capacity to a current 46%, growing 57-fold in just 10 years.

Bloomberg also explained that it estimates a total of $2.3 trillion was required to see capacity hit the 1 TW mark, but that the second terawatt will cost “significantly less” due to industry-wide technology innovation resulting in significant price declines. Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s New Energy Outlook 2018 report estimated that capital expenditures on wind and solar generation will total $1.23 trillion in the next five years alone.
The growth in wind and solar capacity has been approximately exponential, and it shows no sign of leveling off. I am pleasantly surprised by how well photovoltaic cells have been doing -- that is something that I did not expect.

We have passed the point where more capacity is useful. Capacity is valueless on a cold, calm night in midwinter.

It's lovely to talk about capacity, so we can pat ourselves on the back about solving climate change; But the ONLY actual solution is through lower total carbon emissions.

And so far, the only way to get emissions from electricity generation below (or even close to) 100gCO2/kWh on a consistent basis is Hydro and Nuclear.

I see a LOT of headlines about great progress from Wind and Solar; But what is NOT seen is actual reductions in CO2.

I have been sold the sizzle for a while now; Where's the steak?

https://www.electricitymap.org/

And of course, not only have wind and solar capacities increased - so have electricity prices, as a direct result.

https://tcaptx.com/reports/snapshot-report-electricity-prices-texas-july-2017

It looks like price increased with deregulation. Costs on areas of Texas not deregulated are cheaper. And Electricity in Texas is relatively cheap and the costs have been dropping sine wind became popular.

Meanwhile in states reliant on nuclear, the companies running the nuclear plants are demanding subsidies to stay afloat.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/econ...nuclear-reactor-projects-waste-taxpayer-money

In July, the owners of the first project, at the V.C. Summer Plant in South Carolina, reported that their estimated total capital cost of constructing two reactors there had increased to around $18 billion, up from the original $11 billion. The two reactors' expected start-up dates had also slipped more than five years from the initial schedule. After unsuccessfully seeking a $3 billion direct grant from the Department of Energy, and turning down a counter-offer of $1 billion in loan guarantees, the owners terminated the project on July 31.

And of course, not only have wind and solar capacities increased - so have electricity prices, as a direct result.

https://tcaptx.com/reports/snapshot-report-electricity-prices-texas-july-2017

It looks like price increased with deregulation. Costs on areas of Texas not deregulated are cheaper. And Electricity in Texas is relatively cheap and the costs have been dropping sine wind became popular.
Yes. Because wind power implies burning lots of gas; and gas is cheap in Texas.

As long as we don't price in the environmental costs.
Meanwhile in states reliant on nuclear, the companies running the nuclear plants are demanding subsidies to stay afloat.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/econ...nuclear-reactor-projects-waste-taxpayer-money

In July, the owners of the first project, at the V.C. Summer Plant in South Carolina, reported that their estimated total capital cost of constructing two reactors there had increased to around $18 billion, up from the original $11 billion. The two reactors' expected start-up dates had also slipped more than five years from the initial schedule. After unsuccessfully seeking a $3 billion direct grant from the Department of Energy, and turning down a counter-offer of $1 billion in loan guarantees, the owners terminated the project on July 31.

Which is partly due to the massive negative subsidies imposed by the anti-nuclear lobby, and partly due to the short-termism inherent in the market, where returns after twenty years are considered for facilities that will run perfectly well for up to sixty.

But we've been over this.

It's all pointless bullshit if overall CO2 emissions per kWh are not kept low.

And the only places that they are, are those places where the majority of power comes from nuclear and hydro.

You can fool yourself; But you cannot fool the atmosphere into believing that it contains less CO2.

You can always tell when someone is on the wrong side of an environmental protection issue - They talk about saving money, rather than about reducing pollution.

We have passed the point where more capacity is useful. Capacity is valueless on a cold, calm night in midwinter.
I don't think that we've gotten there yet. But the great recent interest in electricity storage suggests that this will soon become much less of an issue. I think it interesting that renewable-energy development has provoked much more interest in electricity storage than nuclear-energy development.

From  Energy density, natural gas releases 74 megajoules per kilogram of carbon, diesel fuel 56 MJ/(kg C), and coal roughly 30 MJ/(kg C). I use diesel fuel as a proxy for petroleum. So natural gas is the lowest-carbon fossil fuel, even if some ways of extracting it are not all that great.

It's lovely to talk about capacity, so we can pat ourselves on the back about solving climate change; But the ONLY actual solution is through lower total carbon emissions.
I agree, and even partial use of renewable electricity generation is better than nothing.

And so far, the only way to get emissions from electricity generation below (or even close to) 100gCO2/kWh on a consistent basis is Hydro and Nuclear.

I calculated comparable numbers for these fossil fuels, and I found 180 (g CO2)/kWh for natural gas, 240 (g CO2)/kWh for diesel fuel, and 440 (g CO2)/kWh for coal. This ignores inefficiencies in electricity generation, and using a factor of 3 for that gives 540, 720, and 1320 g CO2 / kWh for each of the fuels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom