• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Right's War On Teachers

Oh my. So how does this mix with my statement that there is no "black culture" again? Is it that ridiculous views of some whites on racial culture have validity because of ridiculous views of some blacks have on racial culture?
There's no singular black culture, just as there's no singular white culture, but within America there is definitely an African-American culture distinct from other American cultures, like the culture of WASPs or American Jewish cultures or immigrant Catholic cultures
WASPs have a culture?
Yes.

Every person has an ethnicity, everyone has an accent, everyone was raised in a particular culture(s).
Please... do tell of the American WASP culture.

First, my exposure to American WASP culture is from the popular portrayal of it in movies and television shows.
WOW! You open up with that?
Yes. I have never lived with or among American WASPs. But I know they exist.

My first exposure to the word was from the 1988 film Beaches, where Bette Midler's character calls Barbara Hershey's character a 'WASP queen'. I was very young at the time and didn't realise that Bette and Barbara not only had different personalities, they came from different worlds. So I can regale you with what I have taken away about WASP culture from American entertainment, but I don't think that would be of use to either of us.

Second, you are literally doing the exact thing I warned against.
You brought it up. It is as if you want to use the term culture to speak down on some, but when called on it, you fall back to this disingenuous position.
What on earth are you talking about? What cultures am I speaking down upon? Do you mean Wokeness?

That WASP culture might be predominant in America, that it might be regarded as some kind of 'default', doesn't mean it's not a culture.
You can't even tell me what it is... yet you want me to believe it is real. This must be an Aussie Cultural thing.
I don't care what you believe, frankly. I doubt you'll find many people to support your contention that WASP culture isn't somehow "real".

Strong/healthy masculinity is comfortable having and expressing a full range of emotions, not just anger. Strong/healthy masculinity addresses disrespect rather than expresses disrespect. Strong/healthy masculinity is confident and able to express empathy and compassion towards others. Strong/healthy masculinity offers support where needed and asks for support when needed. Strong/healthy masculinity can show vulnerability, can stand against unwarranted aggression and violence and disrespect.
Okay, perhaps you can answer the question this time.

'Masculine' traits are traits that are more predominant in men than in women. What traits that are currently regarded as masculine are 'healthy'?
What traits are considered masculine? In your world, I mean. I answer questions. You don't like the answers so you say I didn't answer the question. So let's be clear about what you consider to be a masculine strength.
On average, males tend to be more dominant, assertive, risk-prone, thrill-seeking, tough-minded, emotionally stable, utilitarian, and open to abstract ideas.

On average, males tend to be more overbearing, bossy, stupid, stupid for stupid reasons, bone headed, emotionally closed off, fat, and open minded to investing the family money in crypto.

But wait, there's more!

Yale professor: Biden not taking time off due to COVID ‘epitomizes white supremacy’

A Yale University professor of medicine recently complained that President Biden not taking any time off following his recent COVID diagnosis “epitomizes white supremacy urgency.”

Over the last few years some academics have asserted what Professor Sue tweeted. Most recently, Danielle Droppers of the Oregon Health Authority pushed back a meeting time with the excuse that promptness is a “white supremacist value.”

The 2016 White Privilege Conference featured former multicultural education professor Heather Hackman who told those attending her seminar titled “No Freedom Unless We Call Out the Wizard Behind The Curtain: Critically Addressing the Corrosive Effects of Whiteness in Teacher Education and Professional Development” that being on time and giving grades are facets of whiteness.

In 2019 Rutgers’ Brittney Cooper, aka “Professor Crunk,” went a step further by claiming white people actually own time. She said whites are taught that time is linear but for blacks it “doesn’t exactly work that way” because they still have to deal with “the residue of past historical trauma.”

And Weber State’s Ryan Wash took it even further by claiming that space — as in the universe — actually “doesn’t exist” but is a fiction “made up by white people.”

Makes you wonder how this Yale physician got through medical school and her 60+ hour work week residency without resorting to this "white supremacy urgency". That's a neat trick.

Crazy ass shit coming out of liberals' mouths isn't some sort of major discovery here. To suggest it is mainstream belief is about as crazy ass shit as some of the stuff coming out of liberals mouths. It certainly doesn't carry too much weight. Got a lot more people castigating teachers over CRT than minorities complaining about schedules.

Former President is calling out teachers as Marxists... and right-wingers are whining about what some professor put in a paper... or what is in some email by a staffer. Seriously, you folks have absolutely no grasp on magnitudes or significance!

Strong/healthy masculinity is comfortable having and expressing a full range of emotions, not just anger. Strong/healthy masculinity addresses disrespect rather than expresses disrespect. Strong/healthy masculinity is confident and able to express empathy and compassion towards others. Strong/healthy masculinity offers support where needed and asks for support when needed. Strong/healthy masculinity can show vulnerability, can stand against unwarranted aggression and violence and disrespect.
Okay, perhaps you can answer the question this time.

'Masculine' traits are traits that are more predominant in men than in women. What traits that are currently regarded as masculine are 'healthy'?
What traits are considered masculine? In your world, I mean. I answer questions. You don't like the answers so you say I didn't answer the question. So let's be clear about what you consider to be a masculine strength.
On average, males tend to be more dominant, assertive, risk-prone, thrill-seeking, tough-minded, emotionally stable, utilitarian, and open to abstract ideas.

On average, males tend to be more overbearing, bossy, stupid, stupid for stupid reasons, bone headed, emotionally closed off, fat, and open minded to investing the family money in crypto.
Holy Self-Flagellation, Batman!

Holy Self-Flagellation, Batman!
Sorry, didn't include an emoji. Thought the play on words would be obvious... should have known better.

So the fact that Raisin.Com "lied" doesn't bother you?
Yeah, I'll stop you right there, and link this.

Everything else was stuffing words into my mouth.

Sorry. But I'm sure there are some in the thread who will defend the Reason misrepresentation as "not a lie," and will find excuses for other QOPAnon/Trump lies as well. Consider my remarks directed against THEM (and stuffing words in THEIR mouths).

LOTS of misunderstanding arise in our(?) pastime of pounding Quote/Reply . . . Quote/Reply all day long, to distract us(?) from other duties. I apologize again.

Still, a prefatory "Yeah but" would have obviated the use of your post as a springboard.

Crazy ass shit coming out of liberals' mouths isn't some sort of major discovery here. To suggest it is mainstream belief is about as crazy ass shit as some of the stuff coming out of liberals mouths. It certainly doesn't carry too much weight. Got a lot more people castigating teachers over CRT than minorities complaining about schedules.

Former President is calling out teachers as Marxists... and right-wingers are whining about what some professor put in a paper... or what is in some email by a staffer. Seriously, you folks have absolutely no grasp on magnitudes or significance!
Well, I think they might, actually. They see that they can "spend" a lot lower magnitude thing to get the same impact as a high magnitude thing in the media so as to blunt the magnitude of the reaction to their thing.

It's like blowing chaff.

Edit: it may, exactly, be "blowing chaff".

Florida GOP Governor Ron DeSantis, continuing his months-long, fear-based attack on the LGBTQ community, appears to be claiming that elementary school teachers are “instructed” to tell children they they might be transgender, and insisting if anyone dares to disagree with him, they are “lying.”

His claim, which appears in a clip posted by The Recount, is drawing massive outrage on social media.

“This will be for elementary school kids, where they’re instructed to tell them, ‘You may have been born a boy, that may have been what you said, but maybe you’re really a girl.’ That’s wrong. That has no place in school – so that is happening in our country. Anyone that tells you it’s not happening is lying to you,” DeSantis, talking very fast, says in the video.
Emmy Award winning producer and author Melissa Jo Peltier tweeted: “By f-ing who, DeSantis? WHO allegedly ‘instructs’ them to do this? Prove it.”

READ MORE: ‘Gird Your Loins for Battle–Put on the Full Armor of God’: DeSantis Running as a Biblical Anti-LGBTQ Warrior

Equality Florida’s Press Secretary, Brandon Wolf, on Twitter called DeSantis’ comments a “Blatant, bigoted lie..”

A Twitter user whose bio says he is an attorney warns: “Lies like this are going to end up getting teachers killed. But he doesn’t care as long as it helps him win the Iowa Straw poll.”

Man, teachers are failing at making kids trans, seeing there aren't many trans people out there than there were before teachers were forced to make kids trans. No wonder we aren't paying them jack.

So there is a particular reality here insofar as that any acknowledgment that trans people exist is an acknowledgement that any particular individual who is ignorant of such may only first discover it there, and so it is technically a necessary truth, a function of the existence of trans people who are oft unaware, that this is an implication of that, that any child may be "trans", even while most are not.

Any acknowledgement that "trans people exist and many don't know till later" is, in it's existence as a statement, also a statement that the child so hearing MAY happen to fall under this uncertainty, especially if their parents have not sought to educate and thus resolve the uncertainty at an earlier point, if resolution is possible for them at all in this way.

So yes, people are saying... An obvious truth about what it means to be human... And others are painting it as if this obvious truth being said is somehow controversial.

In other news, wild Karens were spotted clutching pearls recently in their natural habitats

Republicans increasingly say colleges have negative impact on U.S.​

Republicans and Democrats offer starkly different assessments of the impact of several of the nation’s leading institutions – including the news media, colleges and universities and churches and religious organizations – and in some cases, the gap in these views is significantly wider today than it was just a year ago.
While a majority of the public (55%) continues to say that colleges and universities have a positive effect on the way things are going in the country these days, Republicans express increasingly negative views.
A majority of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents (58%) now say that colleges and universities have a negative effect on the country, up from 45% last year. By contrast, most Democrats and Democratic leaners (72%) say colleges and universities have a positive effect, which is little changed from recent years.
The national survey by Pew Research Center, conducted June 8-18 among 2,504 adults, finds that partisan differences in views of the national news media, already wide, have grown even wider. Democrats’ views of the effect of the national news media have grown more positive over the past year, while Republicans remain overwhelmingly negative.

This is so disheartening. And so contradictory. So why would they object to immigrants filling up the colleges, then? And getting the college-educated jobs?

This is so disheartening. And so contradictory. So why would they object to immigrants filling up the colleges, then? And getting the college-educated jobs?
What on earth are you talking about? How is it contradictory? If you think colleges have a negative effect on the country, why would you be in favour of immigrants 'filling up colleges'?

What on earth are you talking about? How is it contradictory? If you think colleges have a negative effect on the country, why would you be in favour of immigrants 'filling up colleges'?
Immigrants with college degrees getting the better paying jobs/leadership roles would be bad to those who opposed se immigration. Two boxes g reasons for opposing immigration is ‘immigrants are taking our jobs,’ and racism. If it’s bad that your kid can’t get a job ( that they don’t want) picking grapes or in food service, how much worse if they can’t get white collar jobs? Triple worse if they are not white.

Immigrants with college degrees getting the better paying jobs/leadership roles would be bad to those who opposed se immigration. Two boxes g reasons for opposing immigration is ‘immigrants are taking our jobs,’ and racism. If it’s bad that your kid can’t get a job ( that they don’t want) picking grapes or in food service, how much worse if they can’t get white collar jobs? Triple worse if they are not white.
Indeed it’s the “immigrants are lazy and taking all our good blue-collar our jobs” and “colleges are terrible and also the path to success,” which combines, “college should be self funded and immigrants who pay full tuition should be prohibited,” with, “we don’t want your elitist college jobs and we don’t want trashy immigrants to have the elitist jobs.”

Back
Top Bottom