• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The science of boredom

rousseau

Contributor
I'm going to start this thread off with a disclaimer that I'm not going to be completely scientific in this post because some of things I'm going to talk about I just don't know a term for.

The common, empty notion that you hear people throw out there is often something like 'only boring people get bored'. That'd have the meaning that there is an infinite amount of stuff to do in the world, and so you should never run out of things 'to do', and never get bored as long as you have the wherewithal to keep yourself entertained. This is clearly just total nonsense.

Where I'm going to get a bit unscientific is in discussing a specific part of the brain that I don't know the name of which needs an optimal level of stimulation for a person to be content. The optimal level is different in every person, in extroverts it's very high, and in introverts it's very low, but in any case it's there. I'd guess the role of this part of the brain would be to keep people 'doing stuff', which would inevitably lead to emergent things like relationships and babies.

So when different people try to satisfy their need for stimulation, the goal isn't necessarily to 'do stuff', it's to do the right kind of stuff that hits their stimulation sweet spot. So for an extrovert that thing might be taking some MDMA and going to a rave, and for an introvert it's sitting in a backyard listening to birds. The extrovert lives a crazier lifestyle because they are less sensitive to stimulation.

Where boredom would come in to play is when a person is under their stimulation sweet spot. If you don't reach the optimal level you're going to feel tired and bored, and if you're over it you're likely going to feel anxious.

This is something that's become relevant to me these days because I've done and experienced a whole lot of stuff. I'm hazarding a guess that a lot of the activities that I've routinely done over the past few years are starting to become less arousing than they used to be, and so as time goes by it gets harder and harder to hit the sweet spot, unless I find consistent novelty.

And so I think that boredom is really just as you'd expect: a situation that arises when the novel becomes routine and you don't find the things available in your life that exciting any more.

And so I think that boredom is really just as you'd expect: a situation that arises when the novel becomes routine and you don't find the things available in your life that exciting any more.

But that is because you have become a boring person. The only one thing that is different between a situation where some is bored and not, is that person. Of course it is easier to not be bored when everybody else does the job for you but it is really not that hard to find interseting stuff anywhere.
It is just a matter of attitude.

I think you can shift your attitude to lessen boredom to some degree, but I do think that can only take you so far.

In my own life I've consistently looked out for novelty in my current city for 2-3 years, to the point where I've pretty much tried every restaurant, historical place, museum, shop that's here. I'm literally running out of novel things to do that I would actually want to do, outside of having kids.

I think you can shift your attitude to lessen boredom to some degree, but I do think that can only take you so far.

In my own life I've consistently looked out for novelty in my current city for 2-3 years, to the point where I've pretty much tried every restaurant, historical place, museum, shop that's here. I'm literally running out of novel things to do that I would actually want to do, outside of having kids.

Tried singing in a choir? Play an instrument? Some sport? Educate yourself?

But then, maybe you just long for something. Kids?

It sounds like you need to find something that you are really interested in doing, an absorbing hobby maybe, rather than looking for stimulation provided by others. Rather than seeking new restaurants, maybe take up cooking as a hobby that will provide a never ending challenge coming up with new dishes or improving the dishes you have invented. Maybe woodwork, an extremely challenging and rewarding hobby. Amateur mineralogy that takes you into the mountains to gather samples, amateur paleontology that requires you to spend spare time digging for fossils, sailing, camping, hiking, etc. etc.

I don't know what you really enjoy doing all by yourself but, if you find it, it can provide a lifetime of enjoyment without having to rely on distractions provided by others.

It sounds like you need to find something that you are really interested in doing, an absorbing hobby maybe, rather than looking for stimulation provided by others. Rather than seeking new restaurants, maybe take up cooking as a hobby that will provide a never ending challenge coming up with new dishes or improving the dishes you have invented. Maybe woodwork, an extremely challenging and rewarding hobby. Amateur mineralogy that takes you into the mountains to gather samples, amateur paleontology that requires you to spend spare time digging for fossils, sailing, camping, hiking, etc. etc.

I don't know what you really enjoy doing all by yourself but, if you find it, it can provide a lifetime of enjoyment without having to rely on distractions provided by others.

Yes, I'm definitely getting to a point in my life where I need to make a shift of some kind. In the past 3-4 years the major focus was on my career and my health, but without realizing it I seem to have accomplished the brunt of those two goals. Unfortunately, that didn't mean the rest of my life was going to be endless paradise and now there are new problems to solve.

Yes, I'm definitely getting to a point in my life where I need to make a shift of some kind. In the past 3-4 years the major focus was on my career and my health, but without realizing it I seem to have accomplished the brunt of those two goals. Unfortunately, that didn't mean the rest of my life was going to be endless paradise and now there are new problems to solve.

We already study Workload and fatigue, stimulus load over and under, sleep and wakefulness, motivation, depression and enthusiam, .....

Why a study of boredom? Seems we already have metrics for most any measure of such you'd care to make.

I cherish boredom. The opposite of boredom is terror. One only needs to experience terror a few times to learn the value of boredom.

I cherish boredom. The opposite of boredom is terror. One only needs to experience terror a few times to learn the value of boredom.

:slowclap:

The most bored I have been in my life was sitting on a mountain side with three or four other guys watching a trail for movement for a few days at a time - not able to stand up, walk around, get into discussions - only sitting and watching. This boredom would have certainly been broken (and replaced with terror) if the people we were watching for spotted us first.

But then rapt interest in something you enjoy doing is much better than either boredom or terror.

Boredom, to me, only happens when I have completely run out of things to do, or the motivation to do them. What I generally do then is take a nap, and when I wake up I am no longer bored.

terror? Really? How about just very intense excitement? sure if all your excitements end up in heart attacks I see your point, but, I'm sure they don't since you are reporting terror.

Boredom, to me, only happens when I have completely run out of things to do, or the motivation to do them. What I generally do then is take a nap, and when I wake up I am no longer bored.

Do you really run out of things to do. Think breathing and heart beat.

Geez. boredom and excitement are all about heart function. The brit guys studying workload and performance at Heathrow are right to investigate pilot heart rates ...... just throwning out a bit of what you don't know yet.

terror? Really? How about just very intense excitement? sure if all your excitements end up in heart attacks I see your point, but, I'm sure they don't since you are reporting terror.

Terror is a relative thing. One doesn't need to be held hostage by masked gunmen to feel terror. Base jumping off a building and falling from a building are pretty much the same thing, but one is intensely exciting and the other is terrifying.

One needs to remember, terror is based largely on knowledge and awareness of the situation. Compared to the terror I have experienced, the heart attacks are just annoyances.

I have been musing on the same topic as the OP for a couple of years now. What strikes me about boredom is how, if you take yourself out of the homo sapiens mindset and look at it from the outside, boredom shouldn't naturally happen. There's no logical reason why pleasures should diminish by repetition, absent an evolved mechanism that compelled one's ancestors to keep replacing old mates with young ones, explored terrains with unfamiliar ones, and so on. We are so intimately familiar with this mechanism that we take it for granted, but it's probably a fairly recent adaptation. Science fiction writers sometimes imagine an ideal future where humans have an inexhaustible variety of enjoyments to choose from, but I think a better outcome would be one where our "boredom genes" were muted. Wouldn't it be nice not to constantly need new stimuli? Boredom is the affliction (one among many, probably) that prevents even the most fortunate and wealthy people from being truly content. Among all animals, humans are most acutely affected by boredom, although it can be seen in domestic pets occasionally. Maybe they learn it from us.

Back
Top Bottom