• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Shakespeare Authorship Controversy

Good link, O ye of the Great Moogliness. Have started, read first one.

My posts shall be short for a while, since the Wi-Fi is spotty here...

ETA: This thread shall be eternal, like unto the Word Association thread. My very life dependent upon it! I shall not rest until I am satisficed. Yes, satisficed. :joy:

Good link, O ye of the Great Moogliness. Have started, read first one.

My posts shall be short for a while, since the Wi-Fi is spotty here...

ETA: This thread shall be eternal, like unto the Word Association thread. My very life dependent upon it! I shall not rest until I am satisficed. Yes, satisficed. :joy:

WAB, you're a darling! Every one of those links/reasons are worth the read. In summary they represent the best and simplest arguments for De Vere. I might chime in with one or two that I find particularly convincing.

Reactions: WAB
I have a new phone, so let's see if I can make a longer post with this absurdly small "keyboard". It will be in iambic pentameter, in honor of the late great Kit Marlowe, who is said to have inspired the awesome Bard of Avon:

Da dah de dah do dah de doh, de dee,
De da deh dee da something bla bla bla;
And if the thingy does the dum de duh
When Eagles spread their wings and stuff does stuff
That breaketh other things like canopies
When Arthur reigneth-- then, my squalid turtles!
Let us enjamb the day. The fool at last
Lurketh in substitutions, caesuras,
Demonic flailings & what other lists
Be listed hereunto and...

Okay, it works! Whooo-hoo, watch out now, ye fellows threadians!

More later...

Last edited:
Hurrah for old Bill Shakespeare,
He never wrote them plays.
He stayed at home and chasing girls,
Sang dirty rondelays.

Eldarion Lathria

Boo-hoo for old Bill Shakspere,
Who never penned the dramas;
Let's toss a beer for sweet De Vere
And all those drama-llamas!

Will Shaksper didn't write the poems and plays.
As hints and clues of ages past confide
'Tis Edward Oxford who deserves the praise.

It doesn't matter what some teacher says,
How sons of Stratford relish in their pride,

With Hamlet, playwright his own youth portrays
and speaks of woes after his father died.
'Tis Edward Oxford on whose life we gaze.

Will's words did never cause an eye to raise
Nor eulogy did any fan provide.
No, Shaksper didn't write the poems and plays.

The Queen insists and Edward Vere obeys
To set a Will-ful pen-name and misguide;
Yet Edward Oxford does deserve the praise.

We can discern the truth 'spite years of haze.
Objective man will let the facts decide.
'Tis Edward Oxford who deserves the praise.

Would that were proven, Swammi, but I fear
The facts lead to another, not De Vere.

Okay, Swammi & Moogli,

Ahem...is this thing on?

It's time to up the game a bit. Now, I believe we have agreed that it is not important to try and debunk TSM. Right?

Let us proceed in this thread with the idea that Gulielmus Shakspere did NOT
Write any of the stuff associated with the Shakespeare Canon. Okay?
For the sake of argument? Okay.

Now, I am going to make a challenge. Yes! A challenge.

I would like for you to seek out and find One [count em] One living poet who is fairly accredited and still breathing (hence 'living') who is conversant and familiar with contemporary poetry written in English, AND who is familiar and conversant with poetry written in traditional forms, who agrees that the Lord Oxford could have written the body of work now accepted as the Shakespeare canon.

I submit, that it will be difficult for you to find anyone who is currently widely published and who is acquainted modern poetry written in traditional forms who will even entertain the idea that Lord Oxford wrote Shakespeare.

Etc...phone causinge troubles...

Anyway, here is a list of names. They are all googlable:

Jennifer Reeser
David Anthony
Rhina Espaillat
Alan Sullivan
Rob MacKenzie
Siham Karami
Aaron Poochigian
Robert Schecter
Gail White
Rick Mullin
R. Nemo Hill

Actual famous people:

Goffrey Hill
Dana Goia
A.E Stallings
David Waggoner
Judson Jerome
Leslie Mellichamp's daughter (editor The Lyric)
Jane Greer (editor of Plains Poetry Journal, now defunct)
Bill Baer (Editor Formalist)
Hellas Journal

It's time to up the game a bit. Now, I believe we have agreed that it is not important to try and debunk TSM. Right?

Let us proceed in this thread with the idea that Gulielmus Shakspere did NOT
Write any of the stuff associated with the Shakespeare Canon. Okay?
For the sake of argument? Okay.

Now, I am going to make a challenge. Yes! A challenge.

I would like for you to seek out and find One [count em] One living poet who is fairly accredited and still breathing (hence 'living') who is conversant and familiar with contemporary poetry written in English, AND who is familiar and conversant with poetry written in traditional forms, who agrees that the Lord Oxford could have written the body of work now accepted as the Shakespeare canon.

I submit, that it will be difficult for you to find anyone who is currently widely published and who is acquainted modern poetry written in traditional forms who will even entertain the idea that Lord Oxford wrote Shakespeare.

I see a number of hindrances in this approach. For starters you have insisted many times on a stipulation that Stratford did not write the Sonnets. Yet most people think he did. In your planned survey what do we do with those who think Stratford was the Author? They must be excluded from the study, right? Or, since you insist the main argument against Oxford is the quality of his poems, what do we do with pollees who are skeptical about Stratford, but unfamiliar with de Vere's juvenile poetry? They must be excluded from the survey also, correct?

AND Please note that I've already admitted in this thread that the quality and style of Oxford's poetry is the biggest stumbling-block to the Oxfordian theory. I remain an Oxfordian because of the multitude of other evidence, leaving Oxford as the most probable candidate despite flaws. To find a poet who agrees that Oxford's work as a juvenile was inferior to the Sonnets will only tell us what we already know.

How do we poll these "experts" anyway? Telephone them? That won't work for me. Google to see what opinions they've previously expressed? Many MANY people are uninterested in the authorship controversy — or interested only enough to express pro-Stratford sentiment without examining the cases. And many skeptics have learned to keep their skepticism secret.

NOTE that there is already a long list of famous writers who have rejected Stratford: Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, Henry James just off the top of my head. But these don't count because they are no longer living?

One way to pursue your plan would be to pose such a question at the Oxfordian Facebook group. You're a member, WAB; will you do that?

Okay, nevermind the challenge. For my own benefit, I would like to talk with at least one accomplished poet, that's POET, not just writer, about the Oxford theory. You mention writers who reject Stratford: big whoop? Did they espouse the Oxford theory is the important thing for me, and is relevant for this thread because you and Moogly are Oxfordians, not just anti-Stratfordians.

Why it bothers me that I can't talk about the Oxford case with an accomplished poet is because I believe that a person who cannot see the gaping difference between De Vere's poetry and Shakespeare's will be far more inclined to believe all of the unfounded hype over Oxford.

Look at the opening monologue of Richard III, which I have posted upthread. I submit that no one with an ear for poetry will think that DeVere could have written that beautifully, that superbly.

It may not have been Stratford, so what? Okay, then it was someone who just happened to be the greatest poet in English, and this genius was hiding for some reason? Nobility seems a safe bet.

Sidney was superb, and a far better poet than Oxford, but alas, he died at Zutphen at 29 or so, so he couldn't have done it. The poet Mary Meriam, who is known, and is active at Eratosphere, has the idea that Sidney's sister Mary might have penned Shakespeare. Go and register at Eratosphere, and talk with her? It's free.

More later, but in short, I cannot be convinced of your Oxford theory if all you have are these codes and secret clues. It sounds like a silly conspiracy theory. And the stuff I have seen is not remotely compelling...

Okay, I have repented! I do not want to handwave and pooh-pooh the Oxfordian camp. It is not good behavior. I am sorry for being prematurely dismissive.

You do have some compelling things, first being that it is rational to doubt the Stratfordian orthodoxy. I do agree that that doubt is warranted.

I also concede that the urge to go to Oxford is understandable. He was a noble, he loved poetry and especially the stage, plays, all those good things; and, Spenser himself noted in a dedicatory sonnet to Oxford that the Earl loved the theatrical arts and that the "Heliconian ymps" (commoners in the theatre) loved him. Though we must remember that Spenser was a poet and was compelled to flatter the nobility. All the poets and people of letters were compelled to in those times.

But, I must protest to the use of the word "juvenilia" to describe the poems definitely attributed to De Vere. Swammi, you posted, way back, a link to poems written by Oxford when he was "in his thirties". Well, one does not write juvenilia into their thirties. Especially not when we are discussing a person who purportedly wrote the Shakespeare canon! Any poet that great, and whoever wrote Shakespeare was the greatest poet ever in the history of English letters, such a genius would most certainly NOT be a middling poet in their thirties! And probably not well into their twenties. In fact, Shakespeare's known first works were pretty much what one would expect from the greatest poet since Virgil. We would expect polished work, like the Venus and the Lucrece.

Also, you two have repeatedly appeared to assume that one must have experienced something in order to write about it expertly, and with authority. This is mistaken. Forget the mystery of the canopy! Any seasoned poet could have used that metaphorically, just as any seasoned poet could write about a foreign country without ever having left their own home town.

You grossly underestimate the power of the imagination. And you underestimate the power of intelligence and the creative spirit if you think a great poet or artist must have had a college education, or, more absurdly, that only a member of the nobility can BE noble, or behave nobly, or write about it.

Please get those remnants of classism out of your minds!

Also, being an egalitarian does not mean you cannot be a snob. There are egalitarian classists right here at TFT. I will name at least two of them for you in a private exchange. Just ask!

:joy:

Last edited:
I like to make lists! I've thought of developing The 25 (or so) Most Convincing Reasons to Think Oxford Wrote Shakespeare. (One could prune down from Whittemore's 100 Reasons, but I think some of my Top 25 aren't even on Whittemore's list. And different people will find different arguments more persuasive.)

One reason I've not bothered to work on such a list is that I already offered a list of six items early in the thread ...
  1. Explain the weird dedication of the Sonnets.
  2. Explain the weird preface to Troilus, 2nd ed.
  3. Comment on Peacham's anagram for the mystery writer.
  4. Is it odd that zero of Shaksper's friends, family or neighbors ever exhibited any book, manuscript, theater record or anecdote associated with this alleged playwright?
  5. Which 'bearing of a canopy' is the poet referring to in Sonnet CXXV?
  6. Why does Hamlet match the events of Oxford's early life so closely?
... And have received almost ZERO response to these from anti-Oxfordians.

The weird preface to Troilus ("ever reader ... never writer")? I guess anti-Oxfordians are going with the traditional "Just an inside joke we'll never be able to decipher."

The Sonnets' dedication? Are we going with "W.H. was a typographical error for W.S."? Since "ever-living" is not an adjective normally used for living persons, I guess we're going with the traditionalist's "'Ever-living poet' is God. Yes, this means the actual poet is never mentioned in the dedication. So what?" The poet took great pride in publishing Venus and Lucrece, but let the Sonnets be published by a boot-legger. So what?

Peacham's anagram surely shrieks out for explanation. Since ZERO opinions have been offered in the thread, I'll put words in the anti-Oxfordian mouths! :) "OK, Peacham thought de Vere wrote the poems and plays. So what? You and Looney thought so too, and you're just ... loonies!"

I should never have promoted the "bearing of a canopy" to this List of Five; it was a stand-in for dozens of similar references. Still, we've established that the royal canopy was deployed only VERY rarely. If you think its significance as metaphor would be on the tip of a poet's tongues, we'll need to agree to disagree.

Also, you two have repeatedly appeared to assume that one must have experienced something in order to write about it expertly, and with authority. This is mistaken. Forget the mystery of the canopy! Any seasoned poet could have used that metaphorically, just as any seasoned poet could write about a foreign country without ever having left their own home town.

You grossly underestimate the power of the imagination. And you underestimate the power of intelligence and the creative spirit if you think a great poet or artist must have had a college education, or, more absurdly, that only a member of the nobility can BE noble, or behave nobly, or write about it.

Please get those remnants of classism out of your minds!

Please. I'm well aware that Googling "Explain why Oxfordians are wrong" will tell you we are classist. But where, excepting the trivial canopy, did I state that Oxford's writing proves his class or education? Serious question.

The playwright set plays in Verona but not Modena NOT because Verona was a "higher-class" city, but because he'd visited Verona but not Modena. He didn't mention the sycamores at Verona's western gate because, being an elite, he could afford to buy an Italian tourist book — the sycamores weren't mentioned in any book — but because he'd seen them with his own eyes.

Shaksper's neighbors and kinfolk made zero mention of his poems and plays not because they were too low-class to care, but because he wrote no poems or plays.

Much is made of Oxford's inferior poetry. I'm not qualified to judge but still, let me ask. Is the following Oxford poem (which echoes Hamlet's "frailty, thy name is woman") so bad?
If women could be fair and yet not fond*,
.....Or that their love were firm, not fickle still,
I would not marvel that they make men bond
.....By service long to purchase their good will ;
But when I see how frail those creatures are,
I laugh that men forget themselves so far.

To mark the choice they make, and how they change,
.....How oft from Phoebus do they flee to Pan ;
Unsettled still, like haggards wild they range,
.....These gentle birds that fly from man to man ;
Who would not scorn and shake them from the fist,
And let them fly, fair fools, which way they list ?

Yet for our sport we fawn and flatter both,
.....To pass the time when nothing else can please,
And train them to our lure with subtle oath,
.....Till, weary of their wiles, ourselves we ease ;
And then we say when we their fancy try,
To play with fools, O what a fool was I !
* - "fond" is used with the archaic meaning of "foolish."

Here are two stanzas with similar themes, the first by Oxford, the second by Shake-speare. Is the first so inferior?
Some have too much yet still do crave;
I little have and seek no more.
They are but poor though much they have
And I am rich with little store.
They poor, I rich; they beg, I give;
They lack, I leave; they pine, I live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those that much covet are with gain so fond
That what they have not, that which they possess,
They scatter and unloose it from their bond,
And so, by hoping more, they have but less;
Or, gaining more, the profit of excess
Is but to surfeit, and such griefs sustain
That they prove bankrupt in this poor rich gain.

I like to make lists! I've thought of developing The 25 (or so) Most Convincing Reasons to Think Oxford Wrote Shakespeare. (One could prune down from Whittemore's 100 Reasons, but I think some of my Top 25 aren't even on Whittemore's list. And different people will find different arguments more persuasive.)

One reason I've not bothered to work on such a list is that I already offered a list of six items early in the thread ...
  1. Explain the weird dedication of the Sonnets.
  2. Explain the weird preface to Troilus, 2nd ed.
  3. Comment on Peacham's anagram for the mystery writer.
  4. Is it odd that zero of Shaksper's friends, family or neighbors ever exhibited any book, manuscript, theater record or anecdote associated with this alleged playwright?
  5. Which 'bearing of a canopy' is the poet referring to in Sonnet CXXV?
  6. Why does Hamlet match the events of Oxford's early life so closely?
... And have received almost ZERO response to these from anti-Oxfordians.

The weird preface to Troilus ("ever reader ... never writer")? I guess anti-Oxfordians are going with the traditional "Just an inside joke we'll never be able to decipher."

The Sonnets' dedication? Are we going with "W.H. was a typographical error for W.S."? Since "ever-living" is not an adjective normally used for living persons, I guess we're going with the traditionalist's "'Ever-living poet' is God. Yes, this means the actual poet is never mentioned in the dedication. So what?" The poet took great pride in publishing Venus and Lucrece, but let the Sonnets be published by a boot-legger. So what?

Peacham's anagram surely shrieks out for explanation. Since ZERO opinions have been offered in the thread, I'll put words in the anti-Oxfordian mouths! :) "OK, Peacham thought de Vere wrote the poems and plays. So what? You and Looney thought so too, and you're just ... loonies!"

I should never have promoted the "bearing of a canopy" to this List of Five; it was a stand-in for dozens of similar references. Still, we've established that the royal canopy was deployed only VERY rarely. If you think its significance as metaphor would be on the tip of a poet's tongues, we'll need to agree to disagree.
The case for Stratford is easy, one needn't have an interest or opinion on the subject, just go with tradition. The case against Stratford is more difficult because it compels a person to become informed, to sit in the jury box and hear the evidence. But once a person has done that the case against Stratford becomes quite easy to accept.

The case for De Vere is difficult because there is much more evidence to weigh. Without an active interest, a person will naturally retain the comfort of tradition, as we all do.

Most importantly, the propaganda for Stratford is formidable. We have paintings of him conversing with the queen. We have portraits of him on the covers of books. We have biographies of him full of details of his life. We have entire libraries devoted to him. All of these are testimonials to Stratford, so it certainly isn't a surprise that a person would accept this all as fact and never happen to rationally consider why Stratford's first ever portrait in 1623 has two left arms. Isn't that odd? Doesn't a rational, interested person want to understand this? Isn't it odd that Stratford doesn't have a literary trail? None!

WAB, I know you are not a Stratfordian but, honestly, yes you are! Maybe it's because you are a poet first and a juror second. And that isn't a knock on you, merely a conclusion based on my observations in this thread. And of course you are entitled to think myself a loon and a kook. I'm okay with that opinion. I'm okay with it because imho the evidence does not support it.

In any case, let us all carry on in our good conversation...

Moogly, I most certainly do not think you are a loony. Nor do I think that of Swammi, although Swammi has insulted me by intimating that I used Google to determine that Oxfordians are classists. I have done no such thing! I am quite informed enough on these topics to see for myself that classism, and mere snobbery, in combination with ignorance of excellence versus mediocrity with respect to poetry, are probably among the main reasons people can become convinced that Oxford wrote Shakespeare.

I have not been able to rustle up much of Mary Sidney's work. There is one book available at Project Gutenberg, a translation in English done by Countess Sidney of another work. I have forgotten the title, and I can't do a link on my phone yet, but a simple search at Gutenberg will bring you to the book.

I was highly impressed by the Countess's prose. It is lyrical and of a lucid, lovely quality. I have not seen any of her poetry. Some serious loony is selling her complete works on Amazon for $242 USD!

I think I can befriend the poet Mary Meriam on Facebook, since I interacted with her at Eratosphere. She is a proponent of the Mary Sidney authorship theory, which has gained some tread.

I think of myself as a feminist, of a rational, unhysterical order. In fact I often think I was supposed to have been a woman, and have talked about it candidly on TFT.

Why not a woman, hmm? The greatest nineteenth century English novelist was a woman, the formidable Mary Ann Evans (aka George Eliot); and the best poet in the latter nineteenth century in America was a woman: the amazing Emily Dickinson.

Girls unite! :joy:

Moogly, I most certainly do not think you are a loony. Nor do I think that of Swammi, although Swammi has insulted me by intimating that I used Google to determine that Oxfordians are classists. I have done no such thing! I am quite informed enough on these topics to see for myself that classism, and mere snobbery, in combination with ignorance of excellence versus mediocrity with respect to poetry, are probably among the main reasons people can become convinced that Oxford wrote Shakespeare.

I have not been able to rustle up much of Mary Sidney's work. There is one book available at Project Gutenberg, a translation in English done by Countess Sidney of another work. I have forgotten the title, and I can't do a link on my phone yet, but a simple search at Gutenberg will bring you to the book.

I was highly impressed by the Countess's prose. It is lyrical and of a lucid, lovely quality. I have not seen any of her poetry. Some serious loony is selling her complete works on Amazon for $242 USD!

I think I can befriend the poet Mary Meriam on Facebook, since I interacted with her at Eratosphere. She is a proponent of the Mary Sidney authorship theory, which has gained some tread.

I think of myself as a feminist, of a rational, unhysterical order. In fact I often think I was supposed to have been a woman, and have talked about it candidly on TFT.

Why not a woman, hmm? The greatest nineteenth century English novelist was a woman, the formidable Mary Ann Evans (aka George Eliot); and the best poet in the latter nineteenth century in America was a woman: the amazing Emily Dickinson.

Right on! Mary Sidney? I'd have to educate myself there. Even if the lyrics and style is a good match what about all the good evidence pointing to Oxford that is not literary? Is there a corpus of similar non-literary evidence pointing to Mary Sidney?

Alert! Alert!

Right on! Mary Sidney? I'd have to educate myself there. Even if the lyrics and style is a good match what about all the good evidence pointing to Oxford that is not literary? Is there a corpus of similar non-literary evidence pointing to Mary Sidney?

I don't know yet, as I haven't read too much about it.

My guess is that there is actually scant evidence, and just a whole lot of good willed wishing.

ETA: It was not Mary Sidney. I read some of her poetry (dated 1595, when she was 34).

It seems her poetry drew the praise of John Donne. No surprise there, as her verses somewhat resemble Donne's. I don't mean that as a compliment.

Don't EVEN get me started on John Donne...

Last edited:
I am very sorry you felt insulted, WAB. The meme that Oxfordians are "classist" is ubiquitous among anti-Oxfordians; it is infuriating; I over-reacted to you. I apologize.

I still don't know why you call my views "classist." Was someone who traveled to Italy more likely to write plays about Italy? I think so, but that's "travelist" not "classist", isn't it? The works of Shake-speare have various clues showing first-hand experience. This was before the age of photography, so when Shake-speare describes a painting visible only in a certain Italian museum [or rather, in the private home of an Italian nobleman], there is evidentiary value.

Is it "classist" to note that both Hamlet and the young Oxford were kidnapped by pirates and left naked on a beach? Perhaps so, in the sense that less well-off commoners would be unlikely to be kidnapped for ransom.

"Bearing the canopy" still strikes me as too specific and exotic of a metaphor for general use: The aspiration is beyond the reach even of Barons or other top courtiers, and many or most middle-class poem readers would miss the meaning altogether. But it's all a very minor issue; let's dismiss it.

I didn't feel insulted that you called me "classist" but I admit I was somewhat peeved. I'd still like to understand what I wrote, excepting about the "canopy," that seemed classist.

ETA. I have conceded that the differing style and inferior quality of Oxford's poetry compared with Shake-speare's is a major stumbling block for Oxfordians. To salvage the hypothesis I note that writers including Lyly and Munday were employed by Oxford to tutor him in writing; he also had literary relatives and in-laws.

Given my stipulation, can you reciprocate, WAB? That Peacham depicted a writer of unknown name, then spelled out Tibi Nom de Vere in so many letters IS intriguing, no? If this one doesn't tickle your evidentiary sniff, surely some coincidence does?

It's good to be generally skeptical of some of the letter-number codes that fringy people often try out. (I'm not happy with the decipherment of the Sonnets' dedication which Moogly linked to.) But the Peacham anagram is a totally different matter.

(Perhaps the Peacham anagram should be made a separate thread for the statisticians: What is the probability that Peacham's de Vere connection was deliberate? Even if 100%, all it proves is that Peacham thought de Vere was the playwright ... but 300 years before Looney.)

EEETA: I'm editing this for the 6th and final time just to Boldface a Key Point.

Skeptics are always asking — and understandably so — for a "smoking gun", for a contemporary who as much as says "Oxford wrote the plays". Peacham constitutes that smoking gun!!

(Or read "Oxford wrote the poems." Curious is it, that the First Folio included NO non-plays IIRC, even though only the bootleg-looking Sonnets had been printed.)

Testing Testing!

The Life of King Henry the Fifth
Shakespeare homepage | Henry V | Act 1, Prologue
Next scene
PROLOGUE
Enter Chorus
Chorus
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention,
A kingdom for a stage, princes to act
And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!
Then should the warlike Harry, like himself,
Assume the port of Mars; and at his heels,
Leash'd in like hounds, should famine, sword and fire
Crouch for employment. But pardon, and gentles all,
The flat unraised spirits that have dared
On this unworthy scaffold to bring forth
So great an object: can this cockpit hold
The vasty fields of France? or may we cram
Within this wooden O the very casques
That did affright the air at Agincourt?
O, pardon! since a crooked figure may
Attest in little place a million;
And let us, ciphers to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.
Suppose within the girdle of these walls
Are now confined two mighty monarchies,
Whose high upreared and abutting fronts
The perilous narrow ocean parts asunder:
Piece out our imperfections with your thoughts;
Into a thousand parts divide on man,
And make imaginary puissance;
Think when we talk of horses, that you see them
Printing their proud hoofs i' the receiving earth;
For 'tis your thoughts that now must deck our kings,
Carry them here and there; jumping o'er times,
Turning the accomplishment of many years
Into an hour-glass: for the which supply,
Admit me Chorus to this history;
Who prologue-like your humble patience pray,
Gently to hear, kindly to judge, our play.
Exit

Shakespeare homepage | Henry V | Act 1, Prologue
Next scene

Oxford was a noted and acclaimed dramatist but we have none of his plays. That's odd. Of course we do have his plays.

Back
Top Bottom