• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The totally sane reasonable Javier Milei wins Argentina.

Patooka

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
aaa
Surprised no one else has started a thread about this. Here's the obligatory John Oliver video adding some context about this guy;

And he won in a landslide.

Unsurprisingly, people like Trump and Bolsonaro are over the moon about this. Oh, and Milei wants the Falklands back so that's going to end well.

From my reading ( which is mostly reporting from the Economist), Mr Milei’s popularity is mostly due to the long run hobbling of the Argentine economy by the party of Peron that had caused widespread disgruntlement.

Mr Milei will be hampered in his goals because he lacks a legislative majority.

Well, he is no a friend of Russia, so it's a hard choice for the current regime in Washington.

Surprised no one else has started a thread about this. Here's the obligatory John Oliver video adding some context about this guy;

Unsurprisingly, people like Trump and Bolsonaro are over the moon about this. Oh, and Milei wants the Falklands back so that's going to end well.

Argentina (like Venezuela) was once a rich and prosperous country who has been suffering serious hyperinflation. Whether or not you think this new guy is the solution, you certainly can not blame Argentinians for voting for a change. I know I would if I were them.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and then expecting different results." Einstein.

Argentina (like Venezuela) was once a rich and prosperous country who has been suffering serious hyperinflation. Whether or not you think this new guy is the solution, you certainly can not blame Argentinians for voting for a change. I know I would if I were them.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and then expecting different results." Einstein.
The definition of batshit crazy is snorting shavings of asbestos, then injecting cocaine into your eye sockets whilst screaming at the top of one's lungs, "this is the best idea in the fucking world man!"

You think I'm wrong? Google the guy's name along with chainsaw. See what you get.

Jane Fulton (a fictional character in a novel by Rita Mae Brown) said:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Albert Einstein is one of the very smartest and most creative geniuses who ever lived; thus I was relieved to learn that he never said such a foolish thing. It's just another of many MANY quotes attributed falsely to a great man, false attributions which then get repeated over and over. This effect is exacerbated by the post-rational Internet, where advertisers literally pay Google to put their plagiarized copies of false attributions high in the Results list!

If you want to help fight this false attribution, bring money to pay off Google. Welcome to the post-rational "free market."

A more appropriate quote for this case would be
"The definition of insanity is electing an insane person and then expecting something sane to result."

Oh, and Milei wants the Falklands back so that's going to end well.
Does Argentina have any inhabitants who don't want the Falklands back?

You think I'm wrong? Google the guy's name along with chainsaw. See what you get.
I get a bunch of articles about a guy who judged that theatrics were an effective way to get what he wanted, and was proven correct.

A more appropriate quote for this case would be
"The definition of insanity is electing an insane person and then expecting something sane to result."
If Milei had run on a platform of blandness and telling Argentinian voters they were wrong to want the Falklands back, would they have voted for him anyway, or sanely voted for one of the sane persons who gave them 138% inflation and intended to pursue the country's conventional policies?

Nope. But the people who live there don't want to be part of Argentina. The people who live there are fine with things just how they are. Why do you think their opinion doesn't matter?
I get a bunch of articles about a guy who judged that theatrics were an effective way to get what he wanted, and was proven correct.
I agree. Acting like a fuckwit can get you elected. Doesn't mean you are going to fix anything. In fact it can suggest you are just going to make things worse. I wonder what your opinion is on people who campaign in such a manner...

No matter how crazy the candidate the right wing will support it.
That's because to them the candidate isn't crazy but has all the right answers. And that's because crazy people don't know that they are crazy.

Nope. But
You gave a perfectly complete and to-the-point answer. It had no need for a "but".

So, here's the follow-up question to the "Nope". Do you (1) agree that wanting the Falklands back does not qualify as evidence that an Argentinian is insane and unreasonable, or (2) think the entire population of Argentina is insane and unreasonable? And if it's (2), do you think it's sane and reasonable to try to persuade insane and unreasonable voters to vote for you by telling them they're insane and unreasonable?

the people who live there don't want to be part of Argentina. The people who live there are fine with things just how they are.
Certainly.

Why do you think their opinion doesn't matter?
:consternation2: Your eyes saw "Does Argentina have any inhabitants who don't want the Falklands back?". Your brain saw "The opinion of the people who live in the Falklands doesn't matter.". Tell me, do you think that was a "totally sane reasonable" conceptual leap for a brain to make?

I agree. Acting like a ...wit can get you elected. Doesn't mean you are going to fix anything. In fact it can suggest you are just going to make things worse. I wonder what your opinion is on people who campaign in such a manner...
I wonder what your opinion is on thinly veiled ad hominem arguments...

No matter how crazy the candidate the right wing will support it.
That's because to them the candidate isn't crazy but has all the right answers. And that's because crazy people don't know that they are crazy.
What exactly has Milei done that falls short of the means-ends rationality bar?

"False attributions get repeated over and over. This effect is exacerbated by the post-rational Internet, where advertisers literally pay Google to put their plagiarized copies of false attributions high in the Results list!" - Albert Einstein
Lincoln-quote-internet-hoax-fake.jpg

Your eyes saw "Does Argentina have any inhabitants who don't want the Falklands back?". Your brain saw "The opinion of the people who live in the Falklands doesn't matter.". Tell me, do you think that was a "totally sane reasonable" conceptual leap for a brain to make?

You know what - you're right. A more appropriate answer should have been; "Who gives a flying fuck if Argentina wants the Falklands back? The people who live there certainly don't". Thank you for clarifying that piece of minutiae.

Yes, that's an immeasurably more appropriate answer. What makes it more than a piece of minutiae, though, is that your OP presented Milei's utterly unimportant opinion on this immaterial point of predictable national pride as though it were evidence against his sanity and reasonableness. It isn't.

Nope. But the people who live there don't want to be part of Argentina. The people who live there are fine with things just how they are. Why do you think their opinion doesn't matter?
People who live in Crimea don't want to be part of Ukraine.

Back
Top Bottom