• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The trials of the Capitol assaulters

How Oath Keeper Stewart Rhodes got started:

Here's how Alex Jones gave the Oath Keepers a platform to spread violent extremism - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
noting
Stewart Rhodes spewed anti-government hate for more than a decade. Alex Jones gave him the audience - CNNPolitics
Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes has spewed violent rhetoric and whipped up unsubstantiated fears about secret government plots and imminent civil war for more than a decade with the help of another purveyor of extremism: conspiracy monger and internet powerhouse Alex Jones.

Jones, who has built a staggering online following around his Infowars empire, has given Rhodes a platform to reach a wider audience -- from the day Rhodes plugged the Oath Keepers' first public meeting to the weeks surrounding the invasion of the US Capitol.

At the same time, Rhodes' Oath Keepers protected Jones at multiple "Stop the Steal" rallies. The heady mix of access and influence came to a boil on January 6, 2021, with the Oath Keepers tasked with providing a personal security detail for Jones and Stop the Steal organizer Ali Alexander before the pro-Trump rally culminated with the deadly riot at the Capitol.

I'm baffled at how anyone can be so horribly paranoid about Joe Biden. But then again, the right-wingers hated Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

'Hanging his own clients': George Conway buries Oath Keepers' attorney over train wreck CNN interview - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
"We should note Stewart Rhodes entered a not guilty plea in court," said anchor Jake Tapper. "I want to play part of the defense from Rhodes that came from his attorney who spoke to CNN today. Take a listen."

He then played a clip of attorney Jon Moseley telling CNN earlier on Friday that his clients had a "somewhat fanciful idea they thought the president was going to call them up under the Insurrection Act, which I don't understand but they were fixated on — the idea that Trump was going to activate them as a militia under the Insurrection Act."
What a fantasy.
I would wonder how he acquired that "fantasy". Was he told that by Roger Stone or Trump himself. This could be a key bit of evidence.

That Oath Keepers leader:
'Complete sociopath': Stewart Rhodes' estranged wife warns he is a 'dangerous man' - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
CNN's John Berman interviewed Tasha Adams one day after her husband was arrested on charges of seditious conspiracy for his alleged role in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Adams described fearing for her family and that she was happy he was arrested.

"So much relief," Adams said.

"I knew I lived in fear he might show up here. But the -- just setting that weight down and knowing we were safe and my kids were safe and my kids' school doesn't have to worry, that was a relief I didn't know existed," she explained.

I'm baffled at how anyone can be so horribly paranoid about Joe Biden. But then again, the right-wingers hated Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

'Hanging his own clients': George Conway buries Oath Keepers' attorney over train wreck CNN interview - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
"We should note Stewart Rhodes entered a not guilty plea in court," said anchor Jake Tapper. "I want to play part of the defense from Rhodes that came from his attorney who spoke to CNN today. Take a listen."

He then played a clip of attorney Jon Moseley telling CNN earlier on Friday that his clients had a "somewhat fanciful idea they thought the president was going to call them up under the Insurrection Act, which I don't understand but they were fixated on — the idea that Trump was going to activate them as a militia under the Insurrection Act."
What a fantasy.
I would wonder how he acquired that "fantasy". Was he told that by Roger Stone or Trump himself. This could be a key bit of evidence.

It's not a mystery. It was openly talked about, like everything else that happened that day.

The Democratic-led House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol has issued a new round of subpoenas; this time to Rudy Giuliani and other lawyers closely tied to former President Trump's false election claims.

Giuliani acted as a personal lawyer to former President Trump and was a key figure in a wave of disinformation spread after President Biden was elected.

In all, the panel issued four subpoenas, including to Sidney Powell, a controversial lawyer who pushed conspiracy theories tied to the Trump's last campaign, Jenna Ellis, another member of the Trump legal team that pushed false claims President Biden lost, and Boris Epshteyn, a lawyer who was a Trump 2020 campaign advisor.

US Marshals file response in court to insurrectionists whining they can't shave or get a haircut - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
Those behind bars in Washington, D.C. for their participation in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, are complaining that they don't have access to haircuts or a shave.

According to the federal detention monitor, the men could have access to a haircut and shave if they're vaccinated. But the men aren't vaccinated.
So they'd prefer to be plague rats, it seems.

I must say that I enjoy the sight of right-wingers grumbling about jail conditions. Republican lawmakers assail jail conditions for those who attempted coup | Courthouse News Service -- MTG, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar, ...

FBI nabs Capitol rioter who said he was ‘involved with helping Lin Wood and Sidney Powell’ - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
noting
Metro Atlanta contractor latest arrested in Jan. 6 probe of Capitol attack
According to court documents, a voice believed to be Webler can be heard in a selfie video taken inside the Capitol saying, “It’s my birthday, and it’s the best one ever.”

“Biden called Jan 6 the worst domestic terror attack in our history. Here’s some of my footage,” Webler posted to Facebook on April 28 after dozens of Capitol insurgents had already been arrested. “Can you find the terror?”

On Facebook, Webler allegedly wrote Capitol Police were “just chilling.” Federal officials claim Webler wrote that police officers were unconcerned with his presence and helped him find the exit when he got “bored.”

Webler has a criminal history and had two prison terms in Georgia totaling more than six years for burglary, aggravated assault and auto theft and other charges. He was most recently in prison in 2005, according to Georgia Department of Corrections records. Webler did not respond to emails seeking comment for this story.

... Shortly before going to Washington, D.C., Webler gave an interview to NTD News saying he staked out government offices looking for evidence of voter fraud.

“I have been involved with helping Lin Wood and Sidney Powell try find all the information that we can,” Webler said in the video published Dec. 28, 2020.

Webler said he conducted overnight surveillance on what he described as a “official election warehouse.”

Here are the two avenues the DOJ will now follow after seditious conspiracy indictments - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
"The most interesting aspect of the recent indictments of 11 people accused of involvement in the Jan. 6 attack on charges of seditious conspiracy isn’t who has been charged — but who might be charged next," former federal prosecutor Barbara McQuade wrote for MSNBC.

The former U.S. Attorney wrote that it is "likely that prosecutors aren’t done yet."
  • Investigation of simpler crimes
  • Cooperation
Just like with organized crime.

One of the interesting things to me about this is the whole Stop the Steal campaign, event on Jan 6th, and the name they chose: Stop the Steal. I mean, it's right in the name: a false claim that the election was fraudulent "Steal" in the context of imperative mood "Stop," i.e. a command or request. And then Trump and others whipping them into a frenzy, lying he would go with them, telling them they had to go to the Capitol to exert pressure on Congress trying to do their job. After having such an obviously inciteful name for the event, right out in public sphere of knowledge, then Trump not doing anything about it for hours of terrorism and insurrection, followed by him making Ashli Babbit into a martyr. That leadership needs to be held to account, but there's an unbelievably disingenuous, "wut? who me? I didn't do anything wrong."

One of the interesting things to me about this is the whole Stop the Steal campaign, event on Jan 6th, and the name they chose: Stop the Steal. I mean, it's right in the name: a false claim that the election was fraudulent "Steal" in the context of imperative mood "Stop," i.e. a command or request. And then Trump and others whipping them into a frenzy, lying he would go with them, telling them they had to go to the Capitol to exert pressure on Congress trying to do their job. After having such an obviously inciteful name for the event, right out in public sphere of knowledge, then Trump not doing anything about it for hours of terrorism and insurrection, followed by him making Ashli Babbit into a martyr. That leadership needs to be held to account, but there's an unbelievably disingenuous, "wut? who me? I didn't do anything wrong."
I can't help but think the "wut, who me, I didn't do anything..." is exactly a good motive for taking that leadership and putting such quotes as the marginal text of a replaying video monitor that they be legally required to wear while they get hung for treason, legally listed as for waging war against the United States Government, but most specifically for bad faith.

If not for the bad faith, I'd say let them be reformed if they may be.

They had made it sound like they were mistreated. Now we can see the truth. There's no abuse, neglect, or revenge, just following reasonable policy to keep civilians safe.
Don't lawyers often bring in suits for their clients just before they appear in court? Could the bring in clippers, a comb, an electric face-revealer? Spiffy the bastards up before taking them before the tribunal?

Or are they demanding haircuts for their time inside the jail system? Do they want to look nice for the party on pizza night? Are they trying to get that cute guard's attention?

They had made it sound like they were mistreated. Now we can see the truth. There's no abuse, neglect, or revenge, just following reasonable policy to keep civilians safe.
Don't lawyers often bring in suits for their clients just before they appear in court? Could the bring in clippers, a comb, an electric face-revealer? Spiffy the bastards up before taking them before the tribunal?

Or are they demanding haircuts for their time inside the jail system? Do they want to look nice for the party on pizza night? Are they trying to get that cute guard's attention?

Good questions. Another one is how close should the barber clip to the antlers?

US Marshals file response in court to insurrectionists whining they can't shave or get a haircut - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
Those behind bars in Washington, D.C. for their participation in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, are complaining that they don't have access to haircuts or a shave.

According to the federal detention monitor, the men could have access to a haircut and shave if they're vaccinated. But the men aren't vaccinated.
So they'd prefer to be plague rats, it seems.

I must say that I enjoy the sight of right-wingers grumbling about jail conditions. Republican lawmakers assail jail conditions for those who attempted coup | Courthouse News Service -- MTG, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar, ...

FBI nabs Capitol rioter who said he was ‘involved with helping Lin Wood and Sidney Powell’ - Raw Story - Celebrating 17 Years of Independent Journalism
noting
Metro Atlanta contractor latest arrested in Jan. 6 probe of Capitol attack
According to court documents, a voice believed to be Webler can be heard in a selfie video taken inside the Capitol saying, “It’s my birthday, and it’s the best one ever.”

“Biden called Jan 6 the worst domestic terror attack in our history. Here’s some of my footage,” Webler posted to Facebook on April 28 after dozens of Capitol insurgents had already been arrested. “Can you find the terror?”

On Facebook, Webler allegedly wrote Capitol Police were “just chilling.” Federal officials claim Webler wrote that police officers were unconcerned with his presence and helped him find the exit when he got “bored.”

Webler has a criminal history and had two prison terms in Georgia totaling more than six years for burglary, aggravated assault and auto theft and other charges. He was most recently in prison in 2005, according to Georgia Department of Corrections records. Webler did not respond to emails seeking comment for this story.

... Shortly before going to Washington, D.C., Webler gave an interview to NTD News saying he staked out government offices looking for evidence of voter fraud.

“I have been involved with helping Lin Wood and Sidney Powell try find all the information that we can,” Webler said in the video published Dec. 28, 2020.

Webler said he conducted overnight surveillance on what he described as a “official election warehouse.”
It's my birthday, and I'll commit sedition if I want to,
Commit sedition if I want to,
Commit sedition if I want to.
You would commit sedition too, if Trump happened to you.

Good questions. Another one is how close should the barber clip to the antlers?
Depends, if you're going for a balanced do, or of you're trying to make the horns look bigger.

Back
Top Bottom