• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The U.N, is at last showing it has balls regarding GLOBAL WARMING.

arkirk

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheist/agnostic
Last night on NHK, I watched a special on Global Warming and it was spot on. Part of their show had excerpts of a speech from Secretary General Banke Moon. My computer has been down awhile and I noticed that this issue, with all the warts our government has regarding it has all but disappeared from our forum. It is serious and life threatening to many people in the global south TODAY, yet our mainstream media is silent IN THIS COUNTRY. This dearth of coverage on this pervasive and growing threat to all of us is, in my estimation unforgivable. I am glad to see that the U.N. leadership at least is working hard to not let this problem drop without being addressed. I do not have a lot of links to give at this time,

The NHK special was very good and they promised a lot more in the immediate future. Our sick hoard of U.S. politicians continue in the U.S. to try to obfuscate on the issue generally offering only fossil fuel intensive solutions to all of our problems. Instead of dealing with something that threatens human life on the planet, our political system just seems to be deteriorating into partisan struggles with both sides either denying Global Warming or ignoring it altogether and approving things like fracking, deep water drilling, and pipelines for tar sands oil and ports for marketing the same. All of this HAS TO GO. Perhaps it is the maritime setting of Japan that has finally dawned on that nation's media, but I am glad to see they are addressing the problem. Don't you think it is about time we all recognize the meaning of the writing on the wall and quit badmouthing people like Hansen, Moon, McKibben and others who have devoted themselves to addressing this problem?

The UN Secretary General is called Ban Ki-moon; In keeping with Korean naming conventions, his family name is given first, so he is Mr Ban, and his given name is Ki-moon.

It is surprising to me that this issue is not widely reported in your country; over here it is big current news - although unfortunately this is largely because our moronic Prime Minister thinks that coal is the best thing since sliced bread, so most of the news is about how our government are flying in the face of the facts by ignoring Global Warming. This is yet another issue on which Tony Abbott is an international embarrassment; Fortunately he is up for re-election next year, and it looks like he will live up to the epithet 'one term Tony'.

Denial of global warming is largely an artfact of the US. Its very uncommon in other countries.

The UN Secretary General is called Ban Ki-moon; In keeping with Korean naming conventions, his family name is given first, so he is Mr Ban, and his given name is Ki-moon.

It is surprising to me that this issue is not widely reported in your country; over here it is big current news - although unfortunately this is largely because our moronic Prime Minister thinks that coal is the best thing since sliced bread, so most of the news is about how our government are flying in the face of the facts by ignoring Global Warming. This is yet another issue on which Tony Abbott is an international embarrassment; Fortunately he is up for re-election next year, and it looks like he will live up to the epithet 'one term Tony'.

Our mainstream media act like there is no such thing. Even outfits like PBS and NPR skirt the issue. I live in California in the L..A. area and we have a liberal subscriber sponsored station that gives us pretty much all of the foreign news services from Afghanistan to Vietnam. . To my knowledge the only time anybody I know watches it is when they are visiting at my place. I feel for you with Tony. We seem to be suffering from the same national disease...politicos still dreaming of the good old days of empire. Regarding the Secretary General of the U.N. His name is a transliteration from Korean and the spelling varies. We had the same thing with Mumar Qadaffi, Kadaffi and others. You know who I mean. That's what counts. I have seen it spelled as I wrote it...and as you wrote it.

Back
Top Bottom