• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The University Of Austin

I don't understand why anybody has a firm opinion about this. It looks like a typical start-up to me.

Possibly grifters. Possibly well intentioned, but comes to nothing. Possibly turns out OK, but not as envisioned. Possibly a great addition to the Human Situation.
Who knows?

That's what start-ups look like at first.
Tom
From their website: "fearless pursuit of truth"

Those be alt-right buzzwords.
I don't "think" you're transphobic.

That's your cue to go into your tiresome illiterate act, where you don't know what words mean, and start wailing for definitions that you won't accept. Play it with someone else.
I am not interested in playing games. I am interested in people not making personal accusations they cannot or will not support.
I wouldn't recommend going to this "school" then.

Curious about the curriculum.

Government 301: The Unitary Executive - Fearless look into the limits of Executive Power and how which party is in charge decides where those limit lie.
American History 202 - A look into the successful transformation of Indian... oh I'm sorry "Native Americans" in America through the embrace of capitalism.
American History 203: Civil War - Raw look into the plight of southerners during the raging Northern Aggression against America's Agrarian population.
Sociology 104: CRT - The truth about how minorities are trying to dishonor America's heritage.
Psychology 101: Intro - An introduction into the psyche of what is wrong with liberals and how it isn't necessarily their fault, but it is.
English 102: American Legends - An intense introduction to the minds that have shaped America into its best possible vision, Limbaugh, Beck, Gingrich, Jones.

From their website: "fearless pursuit of truth"

Those be alt-right buzzwords.

Also sounds like something from an Al Gore documentary, Star Trek IX, or a 70s black activist movement.
In other words, the sort of vague thing people say all the time without meaning anything too specific.
Tom

Who says this isn't a plan?

"WITH YOUR SUPPORT AND INVOLVEMENT, WE WILL BUILD THE UNIVERSITY OF AUSTIN IN THREE PHASES OVER THE NEXT THREE YEARS"

I like how by year three they have an engineering school.... and 20 teachers, total?

20 teachers, 100 students?

Nobody has paid for a degree.
That's one of the many claims I did not make.
So, it's like a GoFundMe that never delivers, except nobody has paid for anything?
Yeah, just like GoFundMe... though usually the numbers don't have this many zeros.

"WITH YOUR SUPPORT AND INVOLVEMENT, WE WILL BUILD THE UNIVERSITY OF AUSTIN IN THREE PHASES OVER THE NEXT THREE YEARS"

I like how by year three they have an engineering school.... and 20 teachers, total?

So, it's like a GoFundMe that never delivers, except nobody has paid for anything?
Yeah, just like GoFundMe... though usually the numbers don't have this many zeros.
Well, which is it? Is this a charity which is fake (despite it never calling itself a charity) or is it a grift that has cheated people out of money (despite the fact that there is no evidence that anybody has donated to it with false expectations)?

Just wait and follow the money, if they ever collect any. Bannon’s border scam hadn’t collected a dime when it was announced either.

What, precisely, is your problem with this? That someone, somewhere, is starting something that accords with their values?
The problem is what was stated... they offer no degree, have no accreditation, yet call themselves a "University"? On their website the only information about any of this is how to "donate". If you don't see a problem with that then go donate, you silly mark.
Does anyone have a link to that "university"'s home page?

I'd like to see for myself what its founders are claiming about it. Will it be doing any teaching? Research? Advocacy?

What, precisely, is your problem with this? That someone, somewhere, is starting something that accords with their values?
The problem is what was stated... they offer no degree, have no accreditation, yet call themselves a "University"? On their website the only information about any of this is how to "donate". If you don't see a problem with that then go donate, you silly mark.

I'd like to see for myself what its founders are claiming about it. Will it be doing any teaching? Research? Advocacy?

*spit take*

It's pretty basic. Big on rhetoric, short on meaningful facts.

It's pretty basic. Big on rhetoric, short on meaningful facts.
Actually, not too big on rhetoric either...

We open college.

You give us money!

It's vague on details, like what its courses will be about. What syllabuses? What reading lists? What sorts of projects will its students be doing?

It's vague on details, like what its courses will be about. What syllabuses? What reading lists? What sorts of projects will its students be doing?
They are advertising this as an alt-right school, but also saying they want accreditation, so they are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. One side to get idiots to donate to it, the other to make the concept plausible enough to evade prosecution when it devolves into an online seminar.

To riff a bit more.

We Open College.

You Donate Money!

Umm... where is the college?

You Donate Land!

What classes will there be?

Under development.

Will you be accredited?

Yes, our graduates, all 100 of them, will be able to get masters elsewhere.

At the other schools you say are flawed.

We Open College.

You Donate Money... and Land!

Well, which is it? Is this a charity which is fake (despite it never calling itself a charity) or is it a grift that has cheated people out of money (despite the fact that there is no evidence that anybody has donated to it with false expectations)?
Likely a plausibly deniable scheme to raise large amounts of money for a "university", but end up as an online seminar (can't call it school) for right-wingers. I'm sorry you can't see a scam this big from so far back. That failing must have cost you some money in the past.

These "scholars" who decry the state of higher education for its level of "wokeness" seem to unaware of the numerous institutions of higher learning (public and private) who are conservative in nature. Here are lists of conservative universities I found by simply Googling "conservative universities"
70 Most Conservative Colleges
CBS ranking of top 20 conservative colleges

These "scholars" who decry the state of higher education for its level of "wokeness" seem to unaware of the numerous institutions of higher learning (public and private) who are conservative in nature. Here are lists of conservative universities I found by simply Googling "conservative universities"
70 Most Conservative Colleges
CBS ranking of top 20 conservative colleges
My impression is that those conservative universities are distinguished by an emphasis on Christianity, American nationalism and a very homogenous student body.

Liberty University mentions that it will "promote an understanding of the Western tradition and the diverse elements of American cultural history, especially the importance of the individual in maintaining democratic and free market processes."

Bob Jones University say they "educate the whole person through a biblically integrated liberal arts curriculum," and,
"equip individuals with a biblical worldview and with the ability to defend that worldview."

Is this the secret ingredient to the fearless pursuit of truth?

Liberty U and Bob Jones U are evangelical universities. There is more of Xianity than evangelical Protestantism, no matter how much evangelicals like to call themselves just plain Xians. Some of them may be mainline-Protestant ones or Catholic ones or Mormon ones, but are there any secular ones? I'm not sure I want to do detailed research on them, but many of them seem to be evangelical, with some of them Catholic and Mormon.

I decided to go ahead with that, since I am now rested.
  • Evangelical: Bob Jones U SC, CO Christian U, Biola U CA, Palm Beach Atlantic U FL, Taylor U IN, Cornerstone U MI, LeTourneau U TX, U of Northwestern – St. Paul MN, Moody Bible Institute IL, Oral Roberts U OK, Wheaton C IL, Toccoa Falls C GA, Crown College MN
  • Baptist: Cedarville U OH, Liberty U VA, Dallas Baptist U TX, North Greenville U SC, Anderson U SC, Maranatha Baptist U WI, Ouachita Baptist U AR, Wayland Baptist U TX, Howard Payne U TX, Charleston Southern U SC, MS C, Campbell U NC, Union U TN
  • Pentecostal: Lee U TN, Evangel U MO, Southeastern U FL, Southwestern Assemblies of God U TX, Northwest University WA, U of Valley Forge PA, OK Baptist U
  • Nazarene: Trevecca Nazarene U TN, Olivet Nazarene U IL
  • Missionary: Bethel U IN
  • Churches of Christ ("Campbellite"): Harding U AR, Abilene Christian U TX, OK Christian U
  • Churches of Christ in Christian Union: OH Christian U
  • Churches of God General Conference (Winebrenner): U of Findlay OH
  • Methodist: Southern Methodist U TX, Spring Arbor U MI, U of Evansville IN, IN Wesleyan U
  • Lutheran: Susquehanna U PA, Concordia U WI, WI Lutheran C
  • Quaker: George Fox U OR
  • ? Xian: Grove City C PA, Samford U AL, Lancaster Bible C PA
  • Mormon: Brigham Young U (UT, ID, HI)
  • Catholic: Franciscan U of Steubenville OH, U of Dallas TX, U of Scranton PA, U of Saint Francis IN
  • State: UT State U, U of WY, U of TN at Martin, Wayne State C NE, West TX A&M U, U of MS, MT Technological U, TX A&M U, U of North GA, Auburn U AL, U of AR, ID State U, Western NM U, Radford U VA, MO U of Science and Technology, U of AL in Huntsville, Eastern WA U, U of AL, LA Tech U, SD School of Mines and Technology, OK State U – Stillwater, Tarleton State U TX, Pittsburg State U KS, Southern UT U, Angelo State U TX
  • Priviate Secular: Hillsdale C MI, Lock Haven U PA
U = University, C = College, Two-letter abbreviations are of states.

Back
Top Bottom