• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The ways left wing professors make all students feel welcome*

It includes professors who scream at students for lowering their mask to sneeze; I don't think 'general support of mask mandates' is sufficient to be included in their list (though it might be, I haven't read anything beyond the people who start with A or B, and even that was selective).
Well, duh, they should be yelled at for lowering their mask to sneeze.

That's equivalent to wearing a condom but taking it off just before you shoot.
Loren, I have less than no interest in discussing mask etiquette with you and it would be entirely off topic.
The point is you attacked them as nuts for something that is completely sensible.
That is a shameful falsehood. I did not attack him as nuts. I said the site with the examples had all sorts of professors and they were there documented on the site for all sorts of reasons, and I used that professor as an example that it wasn't just documenting far left professors.

You even quote me, in the above post, where I explain that the professor is included in the site, but I make no comment on whether he is 'nuts' for either his beliefs or his behaviour.

It includes professors who scream at students for lowering their mask to sneeze; I don't think 'general support of mask mandates' is sufficient to be included in their list (though it might be, I haven't read anything beyond the people who start with A or B, and even that was selective).

Loren, I have less than no interest in discussing mask etiquette with you and it would be entirely off topic.
The point is you attacked them as nuts for something that is completely sensible.
That is a shameful falsehood. I did not attack him as nuts. I said the site with the examples had all sorts of professors and they were there documented on the site for all sorts of reasons, and I used that professor as an example that it wasn't just documenting far left professors.

You even quote me, in the above post, where I explain that the professor is included in the site, but I make no comment on whether he is 'nuts' for either his beliefs or his behaviour.
Your citing of that example to show the list is bad doesn't show the list is bad but it does show you have no understanding of the situation.

Your citing of that example to show the list is bad doesn't show the list is bad but it does show you have no understanding of the situation.
I did not cite him to show the list is bad. I cited him to show there were people who made the list who were not on there because of leftist politics. Stop promulgating your shameful falsehood.

I did not cite him to show the list is bad. I cited him to show there were people who made the list who were not on there because of leftist politics. Stop promulgating your shameful falsehood.
Goalposts!

You attacked the list because it had someone on there who yelled at students for lowering their mask to sneeze. I'm saying that's not a valid reason to attack the list. You're inserting "because of leftist politics" that wasn't in the original claim.

Goalposts!
You're not even in the stadium, Loren.

You attacked the list because it had someone on there who yelled at students for lowering their mask to sneeze.
No, I didn't. Quote me. Fucking quote me.

I'm saying that's not a valid reason to attack the list.
I did not attack 'the list'. I attacked individual leftists on the list. I picked and chose those leftists. I did not attack the 'sneezing professor'. If you think I did, quote where I attacked him.

You're inserting "because of leftist politics" that wasn't in the original claim.
What claim? Show where I 'attacked' the sneezing professor. Quote me.

For the punters watching at home, Loren is currently floating somewhere in cloud cuckoo land, falsely claiming I 'attacked' a professor for screaming at a student who lowered his mask to sneeze.

Of course, I did no such thing. Loren quoted me without context, where I was responding to Swammerdami and his contention that the list contained only "too liberal" people and that it included people on the list solely for supporting mask mandates:
On the other hand, Turning Point USA — the source of all the "news" in Mr. Metaphor's OP — is an unusually silly organization. Their Watchlist for too-liberal educators includes those who support mask mandates.

I was talking about who was included on the list, as anybody can see above. I never attacked the professor who screamed at his student for lowering his mask to sneeze, as Loren has repeatedly falsely accused me of.

Loren ought to, but won't, apologise for his repeated mistake. laughing dog 'liked' one of Loren's posts falsely accusing me. I don't expect an apology from him, either.

For the punters watching at home [snip]
Would there be any left, or have they become bored with the discussion going nowhere and wandered off to more interesting or at least moderately entertaining threads?

As for me, I have read the first couple of dozen posts with gradually decreasing attention, skimmed a few more, then skipped clean across the rest straight to the last post. My disappointment with the proceedings set in surprisingly late. Threads that start off with an anecdote and imply or explicitly assert without further ado that it proves a general truth have a strong tendency to become a metaphorical train wreck. Having seen numerous instances of it perpetrated by TSwizzle, steve_bank, TomC, et al. I should have woken up to the fact that this is yet another one earlier than I did.

Would there be any left, or have they become bored with the discussion going nowhere and wandered off to more interesting or at least moderately entertaining threads?
I don't know. I was hoping to shame Loren into admitting his falsehood, but it seems I have little hope of being successful. Instead, people will remember only Loren's false accusation against me. Obviously this is of no interest to you, but it is to me.

I don't know. I was hoping to shame Loren into admitting his falsehood, but it seems I have little hope of being successful. Instead, people will remember only Loren's false accusation against me. Obviously this is of no interest to you, but it is to me.
Correct. Excessive, persistent and repetitive personal bickering and sniping also drives me away from threads like this one. I did mean to mention it in my previous post, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

This thread can conceivably be salvaged by fleshing out the argument: left wing professors make all students feel unwelcome. We have been served one anecdote in support for it, and its validity has been disputed. In my mind Adam Kotsko's tweet, "We should commit mass suicide." is on the very face of it so preposterously absurd, it is in no need to be explicitly flagged as a sarcastic quip. The context, which is incidentally placed outside the teaching environment, makes it abundantly clear anyway, except for those who wilfully ignore it because they want to use it as a cudgel to beat him over the head with it.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-01-at-9.51.52-AM.jpg

Not that it matters. Context is usually ignored when it suits. I pointed out an instance of it just yesterday.

This thread can conceivably be salvaged by fleshing out the argument: left wing professors make all students feel unwelcome. We have been served one anecdote in support for it, and its validity has been disputed. In my mind Adam Kotsko's tweet, "We should commit mass suicide." is on the very face of it so preposterously absurd, it is in no need to be explicitly flagged as a sarcastic quip. The context, which is incidentally placed outside the teaching environment, makes it abundantly clear anyway, except for those who wilfully ignore it because they want to use it as a cudgel to beat him over the head with it.

Not that it matters. Context is usually ignored when it suits. I pointed out an instance of it just yesterday.
Sure it was sarcastic; but what point was Kotsko sarcastically expressing? And why did he choose to express it with sarcasm? It looks to me like he did it as a put-down targeting Olivia for having the impertinence to ask her question, "What follows from this?". If that's the way he treats his students, or at least those of his students who don't immediately hop on board with whatever policy he thinks follows from this, that sort of behavior seems well calculated to make infidel students feel unwelcome.

Correct. Excessive, persistent and repetitive personal bickering and sniping also drives me away from threads like this one. I did mean to mention it in my previous post, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

This thread can conceivably be salvaged by fleshing out the argument: left wing professors make all students feel unwelcome.
Who is trying to make that argument? If you wish to make such an absurd argument, start a new thread.

We have been served one anecdote in support for it, and its validity has been disputed. In my mind Adam Kotsko's tweet, "We should commit mass suicide." is on the very face of it so preposterously absurd, it is in no need to be explicitly flagged as a sarcastic quip.
Since suggesting a population should commit mass suicide as an ethical decision has been made seriously before, as I've already pointed out, it is not absurd enough to on its face to regard as sarcasm.

In any case, even though Kotsko says he was goaded into making a provocative response, he is clearly anti-white and says white people are complicit in slavery. Some white people might be made uncomfortable being in the class of an open racist. (I know, I know, Good White People wouldn't feel uncomfortable).

The context, which is incidentally placed outside the teaching environment, makes it abundantly clear anyway, except for those who wilfully ignore it because they want to use it as a cudgel to beat him over the head with it.

Sure it was sarcastic; but what point was Kotsko sarcastically expressing? And why did he choose to express it with sarcasm? It looks to me like he did it as a put-down targeting Olivia for having the impertinence to ask her question, "What follows from this?". If that's the way he treats his students, or at least those of his students who don't immediately hop on board with whatever policy he thinks follows from this, that sort of behavior seems well calculated to make infidel students feel unwelcome.
Brilliant deduction, my dear Bomb#20. Now I wonder why I did not twig to it. That is the most likely train of thought of someone with a PhD in theology, ethics, and culture, among whose writings are a thesis on Jacques Derrida's essay "Literature in Secret: An Impossible Filiation", a doctoral dissertation titled "Atonement and Ontology", a book about Slavoj Žižek and one about Giorgio Agamben.

This thread can conceivably be salvaged by fleshing out the argument: left wing professors make all students feel unwelcome.
Who is trying to make that argument?
You are. It's in the title of your thread, irony and all.
No, Hermit. I am not.

The first sentence in the OP is:
*The title of the thread is ironic. I intend to list the ways some left wing professors create a hostile environment for some students.

If you want to make the claim that left wing professors make all students feel unwelcome, you should start your own thread. I think it is a strange and unsupportable claim but I'm willing to hear your arguments.

Who is trying to make that argument?
You are. It's in the title of your thread, irony and all.
No, Hermit. I am not.

Again:

And with that I leave you to find someone else to bicker with. :biggrin:
Bye Hermit. I'm sorry about your poor reading comprehension.

For the punters watching at home, Loren is currently floating somewhere in cloud cuckoo land, falsely claiming I 'attacked' a professor for screaming at a student who lowered his mask to sneeze.

Of course, I did no such thing. Loren quoted me without context, where I was responding to Swammerdami and his contention that the list contained only "too liberal" people and that it included people on the list solely for supporting mask mandates:
On the other hand, Turning Point USA — the source of all the "news" in Mr. Metaphor's OP — is an unusually silly organization. Their Watchlist for too-liberal educators includes those who support mask mandates.

I was talking about who was included on the list, as anybody can see above. I never attacked the professor who screamed at his student for lowering his mask to sneeze, as Loren has repeatedly falsely accused me of.

Loren ought to, but won't, apologise for his repeated mistake. laughing dog 'liked' one of Loren's posts falsely accusing me. I don't expect an apology from him, either.

I never said you attacked the professor. I said you used the professor as evidence of problems with the list. You're still trying to move the goalposts.

I never said you attacked the professor. I said you used the professor as evidence of problems with the list. You're still trying to move the goalposts.
Your first sentence is a plain falsehood.

Quoting you:
But second, your accusation makes no sense whatever. Why would I want to say there were 'problems' with a list that I was using as a data source? Do you even think about what you are accusing me of?

Or perhaps you mean (just as incomprehensibly) I cited the inclusion of the professor as a demonstration that every person on the list was 'bad'. I didn't do that either, as I've already pointed out more than once. I have already explained how poor your comprehension was of what I actually did (which was point out that merely supporting mask mandates did not seem sufficient to get on the list).

I don't think I'm going to get any sense out of you, but you are now compounding your falsehoods by accusing me of moving 'goalposts'. I am defending myself from your multiple falsehoods. I'd have expected better behaviour from a moderator.

"Screamed" is itself an inflammatory word. If your intention were not "to attack" the teacher, you might have substituted "told" for "screamed at."

Nobody has the time or inclination to search your posts with a fine-tooth comb.. We should address the topic, not indulge in "he said you said I said she said we said surely Shirley said."

But in this case we needn't get out our fine-tooth comb. Your own words ("screamed at") are pejorative. In another recent thread you seemed to deny that "advertisement of a plan" implies that the advertisers have an "aim." I suppose you can justify this by pointing to some semi-colon — or whatever — in one of your posts. Point to these semi-colons you find so relevant if you must, but don't expect the rest of us to care.

Back
Top Bottom