• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

There is no evidence of Abiogenesis

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
Well, according to creationists anyways. Apparently if you post a link to Nature articles regarding early self replicating nucleotides, that’s not evidence. Nor is evidence of protists or any other mechanism that has been biochemically observed.

Furthermore if you show a photo of hominid skulls arranged chronologically, that too is not evidence of common descent. Apparently that’s just variation in humans. As can be seen by comparing aboriginal Australians to Europeans.

I wonder if they would admit this version of evolution?

IMG_6963.jpeg

I was hoping this was a post by a creationist so I could have some fun. :(

Reactions: SLD
My sister has extensively researched our familiy tree, and despite her best efforts, has no hard evidence that we have any ancestors prior to 1538.

Therefore my family were created ex-nihilo by God in the sixteenth century. It's the only possible explanation. ;)

The abiogenesis challenge is just another form of the "If man descended from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" argument. My response is a favorite quote from Cicero, "It is absurd to ignore the evidence which lies to our hand, and to demand evidence which cannot possibly be produced."

It is not required to explain, understand, or defend abiogenesis, in order to explain, understand, or defend evolutionary processes.

Both religious and non-religious believe life started at some point. It's not the evolutionary processes that's being challenged. It's the initial process, abiogenesis, which both sides of the argument are trying to explain - at best, hypothetically at least .

Both religious and non-religious believe life started at some point. It's not the evolutionary processes that's being challenged. It's the initial process, abiogenesis, which both sides of the argument are trying to explain - at best, hypothetically at least .
Nah, only one side is trying to explain it.

The other side just believes god did it, and has zero interest in how. In many sects, negative interest - asking "how?" is blasphemous.

If you are Ernst Blofeld, and you ask your minons "How was my supposedly impregnable fortress infiltrated by MI6?", you want to know which alarms were disabled and by what methods; Which locks were picked, and how; Which minions were persuaded to turn traitor, and by what arguments.

The minion who just says "James Bond did it", and expects you to accept that as a full and detailed report on the incident, is destined for a short and unexpected trip to the shark tank.

"How did X happen?" is NOT the same question as "Who did X?", and the idea that answering the second is a satisfactory resolution of the first is absurd.

"God did it" is not only not THE answer to "How did life begin?", it isn't even AN answer.

My response is life is a set of chemical processes, and natural spontaneous reactions occir.

You need a chemical mix and an energy source. Black smokers, underused galvanic vents are a good candidate. Heat and chancels. There are small organisms at the vents that live on chemicals.

There is nothing in science that precludes abiogenesis.

Organisms that live around hydrothermal vents don't rely on sunlight and photosynthesis. Instead, bacteria and archaea use a process called chemosynthesis to convert minerals and other chemicals in the water into energy. This bacterium is the base of the vent community food web, and supports hundreds of species of animals.

"My hypothesis involves natural processes and chemical combinations."
"We don't need that, because we have a book that gives us the answer."
"Doesn't that book also have a talking ass, a man who dies at age 969, a woman who turns into salt, a man who grazes on grass for seven years, and a god-man who sends demons into a herd of 2000 pigs, which then commit pig suicide? Why would I use that book for anything touching on biology?"
"Well, it's clear that you don't have faith, and that you have a mind-set which makes you reject the truth."

Back
Top Bottom