• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

This is going around the conservo-sphere, anyone want to take a crack at it?

Originally posted by KeepTalking:
A Social Security number is required to work, most jobs do not require a photo ID to my knowledge. But what about the elderly, who have voted all their lives, and do not have an ID, do not work, and never drove a vehicle?

Actually, you pretty much do under I9 requirements.

Think about it, I could just borrow someone else's SS card and get hired otherwise. The other alternative, of course is to get paid under the table.

Who the hell are you to tell them they have bigger concerns than voting? And who the fuck cares if they do? They are still citizens, and they still have the right to vote. Just because having photo ID is not a problem for you, does not mean it is not a problem for anyone else.

I am the hell not telling them anything. You are right in that they are still citizens and still deserve to vote. Please restrain your indignity at what you think I am saying for a moment. You do not know me or my background, but those that do know me here also know that I have a pretty unique perspective as far as the poor are concerned. I've only been out of the homeless shelters myself for a year and a half or so. Yes, during that time ID was difficult for me to obtain. I had to acquire assistance from a program at the first shelter I stayed in to get my ID because I changed states. I was lucky that it was still easier for me than most of the homeless.

While I agree with you that the rights of these people that cannot help themselves need to be protected, including the right to vote, I will tell you that all the poor people I have met, befriended, rubbed shoulders with, etc. know that one of the keys to a better life is proper ID, and they want to have it. It's required for most welfare programs. It's required for social security or SSI benefits, and it's required for any kind of decent job if you don't want to be taken advantage of. Any job that pays you under the table can just as suddenly decide they're not going to pay you for services rendered. Without a record of holding the job (which requires ID) you have no recourse to getting your back pay. This happens more often than you think. As it happens, most of the very poor simply have more important things to think about other than voting for the next person that's (from their point of view) not going to change a damn thing in their lives. Should their right to vote be protected? Yes. Will they often exercise that right? No.

Back
Top Bottom