• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Thoughts about the Consciousness

Consciousness is a steering wheel. Physiological needs and time are the drivers.

Consciousness is a steering wheel. Physiological needs and time are the drivers.

There is no steering wheel.

"... I contain multitudes". Decisions are made unconsciously, memories are mostly recalled unconsciously; while the conscious "self" is an observer, and as an observer it reports, and like reporters, it seldom knows the whole truth, frequently knows part of the truth, and not very uncommonly invents "reasons" for what it does not know.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman

It is the mind of the original body that is on the ship. They are the same minds physically, but each is a different self.

They are not the same mind.

And that is the nonphysical difference between each mind, intrinsically speaking.

And they are not the same self.

Excluding their environments, what is the difference between?

Sounding more and more like a derailed conversation about the humble electrons.

And it reminds of the some of the impossible scenarios some philosophers over-think.

They are not the same mind.

And that is the nonphysical difference between each mind, intrinsically speaking.
What? The minds are processes that are different because they are going on in two different ohysicsl bodies. How can that not be a genuinely physical difference???

And they are not the same self.
Excluding their environments, what is the difference between?

Besides them being to different physical objects you mean?

First, the mind is not "a thing".

Just like the electrons given off by a lightbulb are not "a thing". When the bulb goes off, where's the light? Everywhere and nowhere (nowhere in particular, as "a thing", i.e. a unit).

And where did you folks get the idea that there was something immaterial about mental stuff?

What? The minds are processes that are different because they are going on in two different ohysicsl bodies. How can that not be a genuinely physical difference???

The scenario is that they are physically identical. How can there be an intrinsic physical difference?

The scenario is that they are physically identical. How can there be an intrinsic physical difference?

They are physically distinct: they are at different positions in space and/or time.

And I'm neither. Not being at the same position is rather intrinsic.

Position is an extrinsic property. Position does not exist without the environment.

for a system consisting of physical objects and which property depends on their configuration in space position is an intrinsic property

If the two bodies of A was placed in the same position in space it would definitely behave in the same way as if they where positioned at some distance from each other.

Position is an extrinsic property. Position does not exist without the environment.

for a system consisting of physical objects and which property depends on their configuration in space position is an intrinsic property.

Yes, if I understand you correctly, position can be an intrinsic property but not in this case.

And I'm neither. Not being at the same position is rather intrinsic.

By the terms of your thought experiment, you have two of them, which are positioned relative to each other. Therefore, you have an environment. And the two are clearly not at the same position.

By the terms of your thought experiment, you have two of them, which are positioned relative to each other. Therefore, you have an environment. And the two are clearly not at the same position.

I know that there are extrinsic properties. Intrinsic properties do not change just based on a change in position.

I know that there are extrinsic properties. Intrinsic properties do not change just based on a change in position.

The relationship between the two.

Back
Top Bottom