• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Three middle school boys charged with sexual harassment for not using “preferred” gender pronouns of classmate

Three students at a Wisconsin middle school are being charged with sexual harassment for not using another student’s “preferred” gender pronouns.
And the legal organization representing the accused suggests one school official may have been on “a fishing expedition to find evidence of sexual harassment” during interviews that failed to follow the school’s own policies.
In March, officials at Kiel Middle School first notified the parents of three eighth-grade boys that their sons were being investigated for sexual harassment.
According to the district, the boys failed to use a classmate’s requested pronouns of “they” and “them.” The school claims the conduct is sexual harassment under Title IX, which prohibits gender-based harassment in the form of name-calling.
Rose Rabidoux, the mother of one of the boys, told local media the use of pronouns was “confusing” to her son. She added that the classmate only recently announced the preferred pronouns, suggesting that other students were still adjusting.
“Sexual harassment – that’s rape, that’s incest, that’s inappropriate touching,” Rabidoux said. “What did my son do? He’s a little boy. He told me that he was being charged with sexual harassment for not using the right pronouns.”
Attorneys from the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty (WILL) are representing the Rabidoux family and the families of the other two students who were accused.
In a May 12 letter sent to the superintendent, the school counselor and the Title IX compliance officer, WILL accuses the district of misinterpreting Title IX, which makes no mention of “gender identity.” They also say none of the alleged behavior “comes remotely close to sexual harassment.”
“The complaint against these boys, and the district’s ongoing investigation, are wholly inappropriate and should be immediately dismissed,” the letter reads.
The letter also argues that the district violated Title IX investigation procedures and the school’s own policies. Based on the evidence provided, WILL says the district should “promptly end the investigation, dismiss the complaints and remove them from each of the boys’ records.”
In response to parents’ complaints, superintendent Brad Ebert released a statement that fails to address the specifics of the case. Instead, the letter notes that the Kiel Area School District “prohibits all forms of bullying and harassment in accordance with all laws, including Title IX, and will continue to support ALL students regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, sex (including transgender status, change of sex or gender identity), or physical, mental, emotional or learning disability (“Protected Classes”) in any of its student programs and activities; this is consistent with school board policy. We do not comment on any student matters.”
WILL has asked the district to provide key documents in the case by Friday. If the district fails to respond, the parents are expected to take legal action.

And "they" is both singular and plural.
My elementary school English teachers are rolling over in their graves. According to them, "they" is singular. You said it's also plural. Why did you say that? Were you just repeating a popular meme or do you have empirical linguistic evidence that it's plural? How can we tell whether you or my English teachers were right?
Alice and Bob went to the store. They bought some apples.

Are you saying that usage is wrong?!

My elementary school English teachers are rolling over in their graves. According to them, "they" is singular. You said it's also plural. Why did you say that? Were you just repeating a popular meme or do you have empirical linguistic evidence that it's plural? How can we tell whether you or my English teachers were right?

Sorry, fingers typing faster than brain. I meant my teachers said "they" is plural. You said it's also singular. Were you just repeating a popular meme or do you have empirical linguistic evidence that it's singular?

Sorry, fingers typing faster than brain. I meant my teachers said "they" is plural. You said it's also singular. Were you just repeating a popular meme or do you have empirical linguistic evidence that it's singular?
Someone broke into the store. They took some apples.

Can you rewrite that in the present tense?

...do you have empirical linguistic evidence that it's singular?
Someone is breaking into the store and they are taking the apples.
If "they" is singular, why did you write "they are taking the apples" instead of "they is taking the apples"?
It seems fairly apparent the distinction is around the fact that English has a lot of nonsense rules.

I would actually support 'they is' in the context of the singular use, though in the discussion of "someone" rather than some known person "they", "are" allows further ambiguity in count, but currently, it just sounds weird to apply an "is" on account of the historic rarity of continuing with singular they.

In many ways, "they" gets "are" on account of a particular form of momentum and rhythm of speech, not because of any essential plurality.

...do you have empirical linguistic evidence that it's singular?
Someone is breaking into the store and they are taking the apples.
If "they" is singular, why did you write "they are taking the apples" instead of "they is taking the apples"?
Hmmm, that's what felt right. I'll have to run it past a teacher I know.

Using a gender-free pronoun is probably less offensive than an objectionable gendered pronoun.
Why? And, in any case, why is it okay to be 'less offensive' whilst still ignoring somebody's 'preferred pronouns'?

Also, 'they/them' is specifically used by many people who consider themselves to be 'non-binary', which is a gender identity. It's not "gender neutral" in that sense.
They/them is not solely used to refer to non-binary individuals. I’ve been using it for years right here on this forum to refer to persons whose gender is unknown, not specified or irrelevant. So have others. I believe I heard it used that way since childhood-/so, for a long time.

The middle school dropped the complaint:

The News: The Kiel Area School District “closed” a Title IX complaint and investigation against three middle school boys who were accused of sexual harassment for using “incorrect pronouns” when referencing a classmate. Attorneys at the Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty (WILL) issued a letter to Kiel, in May, explaining that the mere use of biologically correct pronouns not only does not constitute sexual harassment under Title IX or the District’s own policy, but is speech protected by the First Amendment.

In recent weeks, the District proposed various resolutions, but all within the Title IX framework. WILL and the families remained resolute in their position that the Title IX investigation was inappropriate and should be dismissed. WILL issued a follow-up letter to the District on June 2, making this clear. Hours later, the District relented and sent letters to the boys while announcing the investigation was “closed.”

WILL intends to follow up with the District to ensure that the Title IX sexual harassment complaints are removed from the boys’ academic records.

The Quote: WILL Deputy Counsel, Luke Berg, said, “We are pleased that the Kiel Area School District has finally ended its misguided Title IX investigation. While the District’s statement attempts to reframe the investigation, it was always primarily about “mispronouning.” The District may not be willing to admit it publicly, but it has recognized that it has no legal basis to demand that our clients refrain from “mispronouning” other students.”

Rose Rabidoux, a parent of one of the Kiel students facing Title IX allegations, said, “While we are glad that the District has ended its investigation, this dispute should have never been escalated to this point. We expect the Kiel Area School District to ensure that this Title IX complaint is not on my son’s record. We are thankful to our friends, family, and community for their support.”

Background: Three eighth grade students in the Kiel Area School District were notified of a Title IX complaint and investigation for sexual harassment for using a biologically correct pronoun when referring to a classmate, instead of the student’s preferred pronoun of “they/them.” The District’s position was that once a student informs others of alternate, preferred pronouns, any subsequent “mispronouning” automatically constitutes punishable sexual harassment under Title IX.

Sexual harassment, as defined in both Title IX and the Kiel Area School District’s policy, typically covers things like rape, sexual assault, dating violence, stalking, inappropriate touching, and quid pro quo sexual favors. None of that—or anything even close to it—was alleged in the complaint. While there is a catchall for “unwelcome conduct” that is “so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive that it effectively denies a person equal access to education,” the mere use of a biologically correct pronoun, without significantly more, does not count, and if it did, it would violate the First Amendment. Schools of course can and should deal with teasing and bullying but using so-called “incorrect pronouns” alone is not punishable, without more.

Further, the District failed to follow Title IX procedures and its own process. Both the District’s policy and Title IX regulations require notice of the allegations before beginning any investigation so that the accused has “sufficient time to prepare a response before any initial interview.” The District failed to provide a detailed notice of the allegations, instead providing only a generic letter, one day before the District sought to question the minor students, stating that the boys were accused of “using incorrect pronouns.” The District initiated its investigation and conducted interviews without first providing additional details or giving the boys and their families time to prepare.

WILL made clear that what the District called “mispronouning” does not amount to sexual harassment under Title IX as a matter of law. Further, the District’s conduct infringed on the First Amendment and Due Process rights of the students.

On June 2, the District ended the investigation and dropped the complaint.

We will never know the real story since the school district is prohibited by law from disclosing their findings and their version of events.

We will never know the real story since the school district is prohibited by law from disclosing their findings and their version of events.
It's true that we won't, yet it did not stop some on this thread from their foregone conclusions.

This is a law I would like to see changed. When the other side gives their version of events I feel they are making it public and thus are waiving privacy in that matter. Disclosure should be permitted but only to rebut false claims, anything else remains protected.

Back
Top Bottom