• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"throw capitalism at it" ad absurdum

tantric

Basic Beliefs
rational buddhism
there has always been an idea in the united states that for any given problem, if one can find a way to apply capitalism, then the problem will solve itself. i can't argue with the track record - it has worked in many situations. i have some issues with the underlying assumption that greed is the prime motivator...but then again, history. you see where this is going....

i've actually heard, several times, of trump, 'if he can run a business, he can run a government' - to which i can only be nonplussed. is this the logic behind president trump?

there has always been an idea in the united states that for any given problem, if one can find a way to apply capitalism, then the problem will solve itself. i can't argue with the track record - it has worked in many situations. i have some issues with the underlying assumption that greed is the prime motivator...but then again, history. you see where this is going....

i've actually heard, several times, of trump, 'if he can run a business, he can run a government' - to which i can only be nonplussed. is this the logic behind president trump?

Well, I'm a capitalist son of a bitch. But I am boggled that anyone can claim that he's such a great businessman. All the businesses that he has run have failed. He does a great job managing properties. Big dip. He has failed in every enterprise that requires active management of personnel. Wildly failed.

Everything about the guy is an illusion. His exploitation during economic crises made him what he is. This suave, ultra-intelligent superman image comes from the 80's and 90's. It is all smoke and mirrors. Coke and mirrors, considering the whole family does cocaine.

Read one of his books. You'll want to shoot yourself. This man is all illusion. Worst scumbag imaginable. Perfect for POTUS unfortunately. I'm still waiting for Pence to take over, due to whatever circumstances (use your evil imagination) that may arise. *checks watch*

Well, I'm a capitalist son of a bitch. But I am boggled that anyone can claim that he's such a great businessman. All the businesses that he has run have failed. He does a great job managing properties. Big dip. He has failed in every enterprise that requires active management of personnel. Wildly failed.

He also got lucky with some big real estate deals in the late 70s and 80s. A monkey throwing darts at a dart board of a various assortment of real estate deals in those areas could've made money buying real estate during that time period. He hasn't had any notable successes since.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Capitalism is so successful that people want to apply that success in all kinds of areas where that type of thinking is not necessarily appropriate like education (the good private universities are run as non-profits, with pro-profits being DeVrys and Phoenixes of this world) or complete like health care.

One of the things that contributed to his success in 2016. Others being general distrust of the establishment, crises like European migrant crisis (very poorly handled by EU), and general weakness of the Democratic candidate.

People underestimate how much smoke&mirrors is integral part of the business world in general. Trump is just best example of it where is he just that and nothing else.

I'm a "better businessman" than Cheato by any measure other than accumulated wealth borrowing power. (I suspect that Cheato is actually worth less than zero if he was liquidated.)

No, Cheato is no businessman, he's just a two-bit conman with a big bankroll from daddy. There is, or should be, a difference between a capitalist and a goddam thief.

I think that's part of it. It's a simple kind of thinking, and an erroneous one. Government and business are quite different, as Trump is finding out. Being good at one does not mean being good at another. In fact, being able to run one type of business is no guarantee of being able to run another type. Most people understand that, but fail to make the connection between government and business. I still think the advantage that Trump enjoys is his wealth. As I say all the time now, one can be a millionaire or billionaire and still be mind numbingly stupid. People deep down really don't seem to get that. People in our society, and market worshiping republicans in particular, think that wealth is the result of smarts and hard work. It's the driving premise behind their understanding of the market system. This is why if you're poor, it must be your own fault. Likewise, if you're rich, it must be the result of superior ambition, a strong work ethic, discipline and being clever.

What gets me is that it seems blindingly obvious that Trump is a business failure. Of course we only have estimates, but from what I've seen, considering what he's started with and what he is estimated to actually have, Trump would have come out ahead with more money if he had just put his starting wealth into the stock market and left it alone.

I think that's part of it. It's a simple kind of thinking, and an erroneous one. Government and business are quite different, as Trump is finding out. Being good at one does not mean being good at another. In fact, being able to run one type of business is no guarantee of being able to run another type. Most people understand that, but fail to make the connection between government and business. I still think the advantage that Trump enjoys is his wealth. As I say all the time now, one can be a millionaire or billionaire and still be mind numbingly stupid. People deep down really don't seem to get that. People in our society, and market worshiping republicans in particular, think that wealth is the result of smarts and hard work. It's the driving premise behind their understanding of the market system. This is why if you're poor, it must be your own fault. Likewise, if you're rich, it must be the result of superior ambition, a strong work ethic, discipline and being clever.

What gets me is that it seems blindingly obvious that Trump is a business failure. Of course we only have estimates, but from what I've seen, considering what he's started with and what he is estimated to actually have, Trump would have come out ahead with more money if he had just put his starting wealth into the stock market and left it alone.
This has always been very fascinating to me. I have been following a couple rather obvious (to me) business scams. And it was remarkable to me how some of the people buy into bullshit these so-called businessmen throw. One guy (who got lucky rich) lost around $1mil, knowing damn well (now at least) that I was probably best expert he ever heard talking on that scam.

The free market isn't a plan, it is the absence of a plan. It is the default skeptical position that runs counter to all of the other plans that someone might come up with.

That is anarchy where the strongest survive. A return to the primitive jungle.

You need many rules and mechanisms to enforce those rules for any functioning human system to exist.

You need a plan.

And once an economy exists to let it move completely freely is an insane idea. It should be directed and helped to do the most good and least harm.

Businessmen are vicious buggers, always on the make. They are about the worst possible leaders for working people.

You need a plan.

And once an economy exists to let it move completely freely is an insane idea. It should be directed and helped to do the most good and least harm.

Says our local anarchist.

You don't know what Anarchism is.

Don't worry, you are not alone.

The Spanish in the 1930s were a large scale example.

Highly structured and organized.

No bosses and the exploitation that comes from that immorality.

No capitalists ever did any productive work. Thieving is what capitalists do.

Sorry, but I have worked for capitalists that most certainly did productive work.

Nonsense. All that food, shelter, transportation, electronics, etc that finds it way to you in convenient usable form is only there because of regulation!

Without regulation capitalists would sell you bags of dirt instead of food and stuff. Except for those times when you actually needed bags of dirt. Then they'd sell you bags of something not dirt.

Back
Top Bottom