• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ticketmaster... seriously?!

That seems about as useful advice as telling someone who is asking for computer help to build their own computer. Steven Wilson is touring to support one of the top albums in 2015... and likely this decade. I can't see that from anywhere else.

The only solution to this problem is to petition to have Steve Wilson declared a public utility and as such, the government shall set the price for access to his performances.

I withhold financial support from the likes of TM for my own reasons, not that I think it'll make the slightest difference to them.

In this age of sequencers, digital backing tracks, auto-tune etc, I'm skeptical of so called "live" performances by pop/rock artists. I prefer to go where people play instruments and sing, preferably with minimal amplification or processing.

In some cases you can get your tickets at the venue box office, and avoid service fees, at least for a limited time. The local big outdoor venue here in STL routinely offers no service fee tickets at the box office for the first week of sales. I also like to support local talent at a nearby concert nightclub, they even regularly draw national touring acts (going to see Testament w/ Exodus and Shattered Sun for $22 on Friday), and do not charge service fees if you buy at the venue. They only use something like TM for online sales (they actually use an outfit called TicketWeb). Their box office is usually closed until a few hours before a show, but you can sidle up to the bar any time, and have a beer while they are processing your ticket order. They can only squeeze in about 1,000 people, so you wont see Kansas performing there, but I would not be surprised to see someone with more limited appeal, like Steven Wilson, play there. They have very few actual seats, but I am not the kind of concert goer who typically sits down through a performance anyway.

That's not to say I don't ever go to concerts that are serviced by TicketScammer. I probably catch 2 or 3 shows a year where I have to auction off a body part to get tickets from those assholes, but I see that as a necessary evil every once in a while, and I try to only do so for the big summer festivals where I am going to see enough bands to get my money's worth. Rush is coming through in May, however, and I haven't missed a Rush concert in over a decade. Fortunately I have a perfectly good kidney that should net me enough money to pay TM, once I get through procrastinating on buying the tickets.

In some cases you can get your tickets at the venue box office, and avoid service fees, at least for a limited time.
It gets tricky when the venue is a distance away. I remember getting tickets for a concert in Chicago, where you can't just stop off at the ticket booth, and the fuckers put an additional fee on the transaction right before everything was finished! You select the ticket with fee, then the delivery notice. Then the payment... and then a new overall fee. Ticketmaster is terrible!

Back
Top Bottom