• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Time Traveler from 1965

1) Cubs haven't, but the Red Sox have.
2) So let me get this straight, your rivers don't catch on fire?!

I saw a license plate on the way home yesterday which read "I may be old, but I got to see all the good bands".

I'd tell him to get out and see a bunch of concerts before shit like Justin Beiber and Katy Perry became known as music.

Besides the total takeover of digital everything, I think someone from the 1960's would mostly notice that we don't live in George Jetsons world. Our houses still look like houses and are still made from the same materials. Tons of buildings made in the 1960's are still in use. We don't live in floating cities. We don't have personal robot maids. Toasters still look like toasters.

It's likely though that someone from 1965 would never have even though about the idea of gay marriage.

The way people treat each other has changed. A lot. I doubt that they would understand the controversy about child sex abuse. Or that it is no longer standard practice to use corporal punishment on children like in schools. Or the concept of rape in marriage. Or that it is a lot easier to get a divorce.

1965 wasn't THAT long ago. I'm pretty sure that people back then knew things like child sex abuse and rape inside of a marriage existed and were bad things.

And I'm 100% certain that people in 1965 had more than enough information to not be surprised by corporal punishment in schools no longer being standard practice. After all, corporal punishment in schools had already been illegal in some countries for over 40 years by 1965; and almost 200 years in Poland (Poland: 1783, New Jersey: 1867, Russia: 1917, Netherlands: 1920, Italy: 1928, Norway: 1936).

If we're talking a '65 teenager, i don't think he's going to be that interested in marital rape or world bureaucracy.

And as with flying cars, i don't think smaller computers are going to amaze him that much. All the science fiction he's seen promises all sorts of technological advances. It's going to be all shiny and interesting and fun, but pretty much along the lines of what he expected.

I think this depends on whether he was into the likes of Asimov, or pulp. Either way though, I think they might be disappointed with a fair number of things not being here as promised. We can technically do most of the things popularly predicted back then, but we don't really see cities under the sea, self-driving cars, personal robots and moon colonies being particularly common right now. Meanwhile, the sort of things that were promised and that are common don't quite look the way people imagined them to look back then.

Kind of like how a trekkie might be disappointed if he timetravels to the 24th century and discovers that computers are controlled purely by thought instead of neon-colored touchscreens.

You have cameras all over town watching your every move?

You need to book a camping site in the bush!!???

You have to wear a helmet to ride a pushbike?

You have to use seat belts in cars?

You pay for everything with a swipe card...wtf?

We still haven't had a nuclear war.

Yet.

Tell that to Hiroshimans.

Doesn't count; only one side used nukes - and I am talking to someone from 1965, who would already know about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and for whom WWIII is a plausible near-future scenario, and getting to 2015 without one is far from a certainty.

He also post-dates the Bikini Atoll and Nevada atmospheric tests; In his day, nuclear testing has moved underground; but the fear of a civilisation ending war in the near future is very real, with the Cuban Missile Crisis only a few years in his past.

Great numbers of people walk the busy streets of the city staring down into their telephone screens?
People send text messages on their mobile telephones while driving their cars...isn't that risky?

Back
Top Bottom