• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Travel pictures.

In honour of making it back to Rome 16 years later, here are a few pics I took when I was there in high school:

424574_10150611218652194_472134039_n.jpg

416921_10150611217667194_1795818689_n.jpg

Snuck a pic inside the Sistine Chapel:
424362_10150611217797194_974968896_n.jpg

Reactions: DBT
That picture is fascinating to me.

Are they watching the TV outside because it's too uncomfortable inside? Because they can't get reception indoors?

And of all the places outdoors to watch a 13-inch TV, why there? Why is the TV facing a parked car? If they turned the TV 45 degrees to the left, they could sit on the sidewalk--not in the gutter where they have to be careful into what they put their feet. They could form a more cohesive semi-circle around the TV instead of one guy having to sit behind the car ten feet behind the others.

Fascinating picture. I'll have to visit Cairo one day.

Some of my favourite photos from our recent trip to Italy and Greece:

A shot partner captured of me in Santorini

EBHbzNX0TpnRVpwG8Cq_yc0DhcGGau5xYmHpWqbduhopf38hTMfYi4CF1WVjCNW5y-MV5DfKSSoW42cysB4s68Lrfw9OEJ_bPfslVswgXv1NkdYSTuHHElliyACdvyBLiN1DDCrIXOF8Sgr3urmiT51pCEhU7_-G9fWXwne4DslcEFoFp0OoYzPfxcYd3Msz4wpig7VDYE-4JZQlFPL4Hm676Y4mRbKobBwEJqvU3Qmjq8PJL0rgsxNe0IugRm8f8i8jf2CFZU3PTuZupn-w_ZXx3g9bn5VsRbLgCj1Hu7sL_rNZ-xXYv8Xfh_4m6v_5Fm8fC2m0dB7iPirQxaR3ewu4Fz1Xf8qlGCEPb-_q86nkhLImtRCwx2yIld_IgecYIWXMjHUoDvchpnKOg2Wn6ti2s1m6AHbYLmmje9zUmynLD4BIKsP-rhNTB9tNHoPfkVtAMIlFuw-YK4c7rVdMcjpEPNAErOo-RcPOvD0ivqTWd9UzipWEDpqZ15Io3s3WYvqBCEDHxoE-klUZlRrG09gpOKFJHaDScWb6UFCdzszE3PYLkIsPnqpA2oaJKpOjlH5_x4aGAz57LFLkcGuvcN0LyZjShKY0T_ZDVc_2KzM9xUrtLPNkcaH-KiyRtwcl1p25xJJeMYxswqDtcZNul4AEbDoL-ge4xbkfVvuuUGMcT5Xm8Z6ri3IT=w1514-h1009-no

Athens, maybe one of my favourite shots of the entire trip

f53OrpKZhsKPHAo1SLfT2u5Hcmf_iCBKBsOwXR2VC6qnnCJuUtc-LkkoPlpJFfwYxaKTNeEueAXaxlQ_lIEONDBo8p9fs0sCuE5A43q7pORUxmA6MPM5cZFNMGZ9XctZ8s8LedjbvGWfDrQE03_GIT-F0bfY7tKbgBrHoNG7yTrViyasC5SrZzKUprIX2LW_hRde9Ifvv_JA1Wd5SCz_kth9TnQI_fMObC6qlkCtRW96TkgdYr5mHLEYV9J2RQ9SgvS2B3izG9PoKNGFOOzUZCi2LD1fjFC2r-IBuEzg2M9Ex2Fr5B8u-7nr1xfqhvyKYVMTSDvU8czYVTQyVIqgCi8ucSyymIREYT_H4Esq7JdRJA8RTuALYobXG8UG_F55Ut_I8tdVi986Fao8T77PISn4WqW-PEWvTHXKjCVRGW5qqNYO5rwLf8SjzfrwJm8Zto5SaHER-37yPIoWsE8zvJ81IcG0rqvBkuFALRvoQ1zXMX1gS43AFTwNv_se_nkWl-67sNAmm0eF24DgUG1mkr6fO2-241sPeEYrY34JyImFQf_gR-ktcUxcALWbtQNxfReyvOXm55qd7VzRTbp73JhFKklJGoRGyT7mQs8ssPJ9vcI73FAC7Mq-3MVLx22AegKKRSw5hPTG0mAgEco_27LXrDGOwTpsRPoP9nxijd5HO6PBN4gIPK2U=w1514-h1009-no

Are they watching the TV outside because it's too uncomfortable inside? Because they can't get reception indoors?

And of all the places outdoors to watch a 13-inch TV, why there? Why is the TV facing a parked car? If they turned the TV 45 degrees to the left, they could sit on the sidewalk--not in the gutter where they have to be careful into what they put their feet. They could form a more cohesive semi-circle around the TV instead of one guy having to sit behind the car ten feet behind the others.

One of the things a lot of people seem to miss when they travel is that right now is history too. They'll travel the world to see ancient monuments and buildings, and completely pass over what's happening right now, which in 2000 years will also be ancient history.

One of the funnier things about our day in Athens is that I've been studying history for about 7 years, and yet I didn't even consider visiting any of the museums while we were there. The actual city ca 2018 was far more interesting to me.

It was late at night while I made my way to the Hotel through the back streets, so I guess there is not a lot business, it was nearly midnight, the shop keepers get bored waiting for customers, so there they are watching TV while keeping an eye on their shop fronts.

Due to the heat, shops often don't open till 10AM and close late.

I've seen that sort of thing elsewhere, I believe because there wasn't enough space for everyone to watch the TV indoors.

I've seen that sort of thing elsewhere, I believe because there wasn't enough space for everyone to watch the TV indoors.

That makes sense, of course. My biggest question about it is the placement of the TV outside.

Dunno. It could have been the sort of situation where one person sets up the TV and seats himself in a position that makes perfect sense. Then more people arrive, until it becomes clear that the TV's position is less than ideal for a large group, but no one (at least at the time the photo was taken) ever pipes up saying, "Let's move this TV so we can all get a better view."

Like I said...fascinating.

The so-called "Blue" Mosque, seen from a cafe, Istanbul. The coffee was excellent.

blue1.jpg

Blue Mosque, interior.

blue2.jpg

A Tower of the Ruined Castle in Heidelberg, Germany

castle.jpg

Moral: Don't store all your gunpowder in one tower.

IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

The Natural History Museum, South Kensington, England.

My favourite building in the world - a cathedral of science with lovely carved animals and plants on almost every stone, each unique.

The white statue on the staircase, presiding over it all, is (of course), Charles Darwin.

I just ran into this topic. It's interesting how a good share of the photos appear to be pre-digital camera.

Anyhow, I looked though my photos to find some more interesting photos. These first few posts will be Singapore and China. I had to go for work bit of course took a few photos. It seems that I have to do something like...
2008 06 20 19 05 01.jpg

Too often.

Anyway, some photos from Singapore and China in 2007.

In Singapore, a photo out of my hotel window.

2007 05 12 23 18 26.jpg

After a few days in Singapore I had to go to Beijing.

Street traffic look in out my window.
2007 05 15 20 27 41.jpg

Somewhere around Beijing, some temple. I don't recall. Someone from our local office at the time took me out to see some sights.

2007 05 16 04 47 56.jpg

A fairly upscale area in Beijing. I think we were looking for a place to eat.
2007 05 16 06 25 27.jpg

Back
Top Bottom