• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

True but false logical expressions...

Speakpigeon

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Rationality (i.e. facts + logic), Scepticism (not just about God but also everything beyond my subjective experience)
Can you think of any logical expression (formula) which are usually regarded as true but that you intuitively see as false?

I put here a few common expressions usually regarded as true:

1. ¬¬A → A

2. (A ∧ B) → B

3. A → (A ∨ B)

4. (A ∧ B) → (A ∨ B)

5. ((A ∧ (A → B)) → B

6. ((¬B ∧ (A → B)) → ¬A

7. ((A → B) ∧ (B → C)) → (A → C)

8. ((A → B) ∧ (B → C) ∧ (C → D)) → (A → D)

9. ((B → A) ∧ (C → A)) ∧ (B ∨ C)) → A

10. ((A → B) → ¬(A ∧ ¬B)) ∧ (¬(A ∧ ¬B) → (A → B))

These are pretty uncontroversial... So, please specify first whether you agree with each being true.

And then maybe you have your own examples?
EB

Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be 'no'?

No. Like the word consensual, it only works in conservative white male consensual sexspeak.

Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be 'no'?

Neither. So, no, the first word I used wasn't "no".

This is a case of contradictory injunctions. I can't both answer truthfully and limit myself to "yes" or "no". So I had to choose.

I opted to answer and to answer "truthfully". So I replied truthfully and you have your answer: no, the first word I used wasn't "no".

Sill, this is just a derail.
EB

Good, we all agree, then.

I think the test is conclusive that we all have the same basic logical intuitions.

I had to check. I had started to worry lately.

Good job, thanks to all!
EB

Back
Top Bottom